10 Worst GNR Songs (Houston Press Article)

You people are funny.

How DARE somebody have a different opinion than you about a song.

This guy is 100% correct with his list.

Because it is a list of what HE FEELS are the 10 worst songs. The 10 songs that he PERSONALLY doesn't like.

If every member on here put their top 10 worst song list up there probably wouldn't be one exact match. Does that mean every single person is wrong?

SMH. Telling somebody their personal preference is wrong.

At least I could laugh a bit with this article (in contrast with the shit written by Noisy whatever).

I kinda agree with most of his selection but some points:

- You're Crazy is really good and actually I find the acoustic version way better than electric one. It's a waste of space on AFD.

- My Michelle.... I used to like it the way it was played live during the 90's. Recently, played live and with Baz ruining it, I rather go to the bathroom.

- The Garden... meh.... I skip it in my iPod for sure. Haven't listened to it in years.

- Used To Love Her.... I used to love it and had a laugh everytime I heard it. Now that I'm an adult and aware of women's rights I don't find it funny anymore.

- Bad Obsession.... I agree with the guy that it sounds awful on the album. Played live was one of my favorites.

- One In a Million..... I like the music, I totally hate the lyrics and I can't sing to it anymore. I just cringe from having to repeat those things. I skip it sometimes or try to ignore the lyrics.

- Back Off Bitch..... it's a meh song... the same with OIM, can't sing alone because of the lyrics.

- So Fine.... I like it and I prefer the live versions from the 90's.

- My World, Shotgun Blues, and I'd add Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive, Ain't the first, Anything Goes.... all of them suck to me, I skip them.

- Used To Love Her.... I used to love it and had a laugh everytime I heard it. Now that I'm an adult and aware of women's rights I don't find it funny anymore.

What exactly do you think that song has to do with women's rights? Just curious because to me its just a break up revenge song. A woman could sing it about a man. A man could sing it about another man. A woman could sing it about another woman. Just never even thought about women's rights or anything like that.

What exactly do you think that song has to do with women's rights? Just curious because to me its just a break up revenge song. A woman could sing it about a man. A man could sing it about another man. A woman could sing it about another woman. Just never even thought about women's rights or anything like that.

The right to stay alive after a break up. The right to say "we're done" and not having a guy killing you because you left him. The right to move on in life without being in constant fear of having your ex-boyfriend (ex-husband) haunting you day and night until he kills you.

A man could sing it about another man? Errr... "i used to love her but i had to kill HER".

I don't care who can sing these lyrics. They are about murdering someone because you can't stand them anymore. I don't think that's a good message to be preaching around. It doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman. If you can't stand your partner anymore, just leave. Break up and move on. Don't need to kill them, beat them or burn them. Grow up and find a new one. There are plenty of humans in the planet.

The right to stay alive after a break up. The right to say "we're done" and not having a guy killing you because you left him. The right to move on in life without being in constant fear of having your ex-boyfriend (ex-husband) haunting you day and night until he kills you.

A man could sing it about another man? Errr... "i used to love her but i had to kill HER".

I don't care who can sing these lyrics. They are about murdering someone because you can't stand them anymore. I don't think that's a good message to be preaching around. It doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman. If you can't stand your partner anymore, just leave. Break up and move on. Don't need to kill them, beat them or burn them. Grow up and find a new one. There are plenty of humans in the planet.

Err...of course a man would change that to him.

Everything you said is all fine and well, all your opinion and all good. I still don't know what it has to do with women's rights. That's just a totally different thing.

It's definitely hard to find 10 worst songs without the covers from the first albums.

Here we go again:

My world

Bad Obsession

Garden Of Eden

Shotgun Blues

So Fine

LALD

Used To Love Her

Mama Kin

You Ain't The First

Dead Horse

LALD and Mama Kin are covers buddy ;) Try again!

You people are funny.

How DARE somebody have a different opinion than you about a song.

This guy is 100% correct with his list.

Because it is a list of what HE FEELS are the 10 worst songs. The 10 songs that he PERSONALLY doesn't like.

If every member on here put their top 10 worst song list up there probably wouldn't be one exact match. Does that mean every single person is wrong?

SMH. Telling somebody their personal preference is wrong.

You're absolutely right.

• Like 1

Everything you said is all fine and well, all your opinion and all good. I still don't know what it has to do with women's rights. That's just a totally different thing.

You don't know what it has to do with women's rights or you don't want to see it?

It's not a totally different thing. Perhaps you are not very informed or this is a topic you don't care about. That's fine but just make a search on Google or something and find out how many women are killed by their partners for whatever reasons. Beaten up and killed. Raped and killed. Gender violence.

Women rights are not only about equal treatment, better salaries and other civil rights. It is also about the right to be free from violence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_on_the_Elimination_of_Violence_Against_Women

Edit to the Mods: I'm sorry if the topic was sort of derailed.... I'm just responding the questions of a poster who questioned me about why I don't like 'Used to love her' anymore.

I guess I made my point now and that's all I'm gonna say about it. Thank you.

Edited by tinyrobot
  • Like 1

As for being a "male feminist," I never understood what is wrong with that. If you believe that women should be treated fairly and equally with men (same pay for similar work, no glass ceiling etc.), you are a feminist.

^

Also, @tinyrobot I think you're looking waaaaay too far into it. It's a joke song, Axl's said so himself. No one actually sings about killing their ex-whatever :lol:

Edited by tentonneskeleton

As for being a "male feminist," I never understood what is wrong with that. If you believe that women should be treated fairly and equally with men (same pay for similar work, no glass ceiling etc.), you are a feminist.

^

Also, @tinyrobot I think you're looking waaaaay too far into it. It's a joke song, Axl's said so himself. No one actually sings about killing their ex-whatever :lol:

I'd always heard it was a joke song about a dog.

• Like 3

Every single one of them has redeeming factors, none of em is per se a shit song. At least five of em (one in a million, You're Crazy off Lies, Bad Obssession, My Michelle and Used To Love Her). I'd have a hard time defending My World but i always felt that was just a little piss-take outro.

You don't know what it has to do with women's rights or you don't want to see it?

It's not a totally different thing. Perhaps you are not very informed or this is a topic you don't care about. That's fine but just make a search on Google or something and find out how many women are killed by their partners for whatever reasons. Beaten up and killed. Raped and killed. Gender violence.

Women rights are not only about equal treatment, better salaries and other civil rights. It is also about the right to be free from violence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_on_the_Elimination_of_Violence_Against_Women

Edit to the Mods: I'm sorry if the topic was sort of derailed.... I'm just responding the questions of a poster who questioned me about why I don't like 'Used to love her' anymore.

I guess I made my point now and that's all I'm gonna say about it. Thank you.

"you don't want to see it" lol that's funny. Nah I don't care if you like it or not. I've just never seen anybody use women's rights when talking about that song which is why I asked. Everyone I know who has heard it just blows it off as a crazy, silly, extreme, break up song. Nothing more really.

Edited by J Dog

Yeah but it's a song, it's sound, it's a piece of art, one meant in jest at that, how does it hurt anybody? It's ridiculous as a concept. Axls vocals co-joining with the sound of two guitars a bass and drums does not have any ability to physically harm anyone nor does it have anything to do with legislature that affords rights to whatever denomination, it's a song.

The man says 'take it for what it is' in the song...think about it. Honestly, there are actual women in some parts of the world that go through actual shit and things like that should be the focus of such things, not moaning about a song. But no ones about to do shit about that because that involves putting yourself out there.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Yeah but it's a song, it's sound, it's a piece of art, one meant in jest at that, how does it hurt anybody? It's ridiculous as a concept. Axls vocals co-joining with the sound of two guitars a bass and drums does not have any ability to physically harm anyone nor does it have anything to do with legislature that affords rights to whatever denomination, it's a song.

The man says 'take it for what it is' in the song...think about it. Honestly, there are actual women in some parts of the world that go through actual shit and things like that should be the focus of such things, not moaning about a song. But no ones about to do shit about that because that involves putting yourself out there.

You totally missed the point of it all. Who said the song can physically harm people? Are you out of your mind?

I know it is a song. LOL. I know it is art. LOL. But art also can send a message to a lot of people. And the lyrics to this song, just like the lyrics to One In A Million, are controversial. Plus, they don't come with instructions on what is the correct way to understand their meaning so that no one takes offense.

The lyrics to Used To Love Her are not intricated. They're not a book by Hegel.

One is not supposed to take them literally? Well.. who says so?

Some people will think it's about killing women, some people will think it's about killing a dog and more complex people will think it is about 'forgetting about someone by burying them in the back of your mind'.

I assure you 95% of people will assume is about a man killing a woman. (Sorry Axl, but if you have to explain your art then you're in trouble.)

Moaning about a song? Who's moaning?

All I said was that I agreed with the guy who made the Top List of GN'R Worst songs and put UTLH there. I agreed with the way he feels about the song because I feel the same way. Then some guy came to ask me why I felt that way and I explained to him.

I don't complain about anything. I skip that song in my iPod and my life continues.

Big deal.

It's definitely hard to find 10 worst songs without the covers from the first albums.

Here we go again:

My world

Bad Obsession

Garden Of Eden

Shotgun Blues

So Fine

LALD

Used To Love Her

Mama Kin

You Ain't The First

Dead Horse

Lol dude. My list without the covers is right above the second list with covers.

Try again!

Here we go again:

My world

Bad Obsession

Garden Of Eden

Shotgun Blues

So Fine

LALD

Used To Love Her

Mama Kin

You Ain't The First

Dead Horse

Lol dude. My list without the covers is right above the second list with covers.

Try again!

Ahhhh I see that now. Was browsing through and not paying attention.... but you still only listed 9 with covers excluded. Come on you got one more!

You totally missed the point of it all. Who said the song can physically harm people? Are you out of your mind?

I know it is a song. LOL. I know it is art. LOL. But art also can send a message to a lot of people. And the lyrics to this song, just like the lyrics to One In A Million, are controversial. Plus, they don't come with instructions on what is the correct way to understand their meaning so that no one takes offense.

The lyrics to Used To Love Her are not intricated. They're not a book by Hegel.

One is not supposed to take them literally? Well.. who says so?

Some people will think it's about killing women, some people will think it's about killing a dog and more complex people will think it is about 'forgetting about someone by burying them in the back of your mind'.

I assure you 95% of people will assume is about a man killing a woman. (Sorry Axl, but if you have to explain your art then you're in trouble.)

Moaning about a song? Who's moaning?

All I said was that I agreed with the guy who made the Top List of GN'R Worst songs and put UTLH there. I agreed with the way he feels about the song because I feel the same way. Then some guy came to ask me why I felt that way and I explained to him.

I don't complain about anything. I skip that song in my iPod and my life continues.

Big deal.

Anybody that bases their actions on a song or a movie is dangerous in that they are unable to discern the difference between right and wrong, thats not the songs doing, its called having a mental disturbance, art cannot be dictated to by the fact there are crazy people in the world or art wouldnt exist.

How are you supposed to know its not to be taken serious? Well if you are that retard Axl made provisions for that on the front cover, it states there clearly that its a joke and nothing more...and if perchance you hear it without the album cover to hand then he even says in the song 'take it for what it is'.

You're right, it is about a man killing a woman...although if you wanna get really deep about it it could be a gay guy killing another gay guy, since you're getting deep into this, the words 'she' 'her' 'bitch' could just as easily mean that, how did you know it was about women without clarification? I'll tell you why, cuz you got a brain in your head, the same brain that tells you dont take songs literally and act upon what you think they are saying, that is the difference between me, you and a psycho.

Plus, they don't come with instructions on what is the correct way to understand their meaning so that no one takes offense.

And they shouldn't.

I honestly didn't mean to upset you homie. Your comment just struck me because I have never heard anyone take that song for more than a joke. So I just wanted to see where you were coming from.

If you are including covers, 'Knockin on Heaven's Dawawa' is the biggest abomination ever recorded by old gnr.

I'm with you when you're talking about the second half of the song. It becomes a mess right with the phonecall and from then on it's just fucking ridiculous and terrible.

But the actual song till the second solo is awesome. Axls voice and Slash's leads are phenomenal. That's why I wouldn't put it on the list.

Also the live versions of KOHD before the Illusion-tour were daimn good and probably the biggest reason for me becoming a GNR fan.

I got this bootleg back in '95 and just couldn't stop listening to KOHD and Whole Lotta Rosie from the London gigs in '87. So to me it's a very important song :lol:

Here we go again:

My world

Bad Obsession

Garden Of Eden

Shotgun Blues

So Fine

LALD

Used To Love Her

Mama Kin

You Ain't The First

Dead Horse

Try again!

Ahhhh I see that now. Was browsing through and not paying attention.... but you still only listed 9 with covers excluded. Come on you got one more!

:lol: Maybe Perfect Crime

But it's not an easy choice