Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

rock-big-trouble-little-china.jpg
20th Century Fox is excited about a new take from “X-Men: First Class” writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in negotiations to star in and produce a remake of John Carpenter‘s cult classic “Big Trouble in Little China” that will be written by “X-Men: First Class” scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.
A representative for 20th Century Fox did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Johnson is making a deal to play Jack Burton, an all-American trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in San Francisco’s Chinatown.

Johnson and his producing partners at Seven Bucks Productions, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia, pitched the remake to rights-owner Fox, which released the original film. “Big Trouble in Little China” is one of Johnson’s favorite movies, and Miller and Stentz have already closed a deal to write the script.
The original 1986 starring Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall only grossed $11 million at the domestic box office, but it is revered as a cult classic and a cable TV staple that fans can’t resist watching from when it airs.
Johnson is coming off an earth-shaking $54 million domestic opening weekend for “San Andreas,” which was also set in San Francisco. The film topped both the domestic and international box office and cemented Johnson’s place as America’s premiere action star.
Johnson will soon be seen on HBO’s new original series “Ballers,” which debuts later this month, and is also set to star in Warner Bros.’ comic book movie “Shazam.” Johnson is also lending his voice to Disney’s animated movie “Moana.” He’s represented by WME and Gang, Tyre, Ramer and Brown.
Miller and Stentz wrote the screenplay for Marvel’s “Thor” and they’re currently writing Warner Bros.’ upcoming “Acme” movie that will star Steve Carell. They’re repped by WME and Principato-Young Entertainment.

__

Source: http://www.thewrap.com/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-to-star-in-big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-exclusive/

I loved "Big trouble in Little China". It was such a good movie. Loved the plot line and the characters were all so unique.

Kurt Russell was funny and a cool hero.

I think this movie was one of John Carpenter's best from the 1980's.

I love "The Rock", but this movie is a classic and I don't think they should re-make classics.

The remake of "The Fog" was just horrible. That's my all time favorite John Carpenter movie. I can watch it over and over again. Big Trouble in Little China is the same way. This movie never gets old.

I honestly don't think a remake will be able to top or even get close to the original.

I can't believe there's no one in all of Hollywood who can't come up with any new movie ideas?

I loved "Big trouble in Little China". It was such a good movie. Loved the plot line and the characters were all so unique.

Kurt Russell was funny and a cool hero.

I think this movie was one of John Carpenter's best from the 1980's.

I love "The Rock", but this movie is a classic and I don't think they should re-make classics.

The remake of "The Fog" was just horrible. That's my all time favorite John Carpenter movie. I can watch it over and over again. Big Trouble in Little China is the same way. This movie never gets old.

I honestly don't think a remake will be able to top or even get close to the original.

I can't believe there's no one in all of Hollywood who can't come up with any new movie ideas?

Blame the idiots who will fork out money to see these remakes.

• 2 weeks later...

the Rock has a new show called "Ballers" on HBO starting next Sunday night. Looks interesting.

Yeah, the jerks who run Hollywood can't come up with any new ideas so they take classic movies and re-do them and usually it does not pay off.

Speaking of which "Jurassic Park" just made over $511 world wide. Now that was worth making because the dinosaurs are awesome and are the star of this movie for sure.

I am convinced Hollywood is taken over by the same people who went to see these movies as kids, inspired to become filmmakers and had a nostalgia attack and wanted to remake these films.

The movies are made by the marketing teams. They get 30 mil budget and then brainstorm brand names that will sell. Then they find writers to write it to their specifications and formula. Then it's shot and made by hack directors who follow orders. There's no filmmakers anywhere near it. We the audience are the most creative thing about it. We went to a movie once. They think it will happen again if it looks similar. They don't even hire decent editors. They are all over long and make no sense but the action sequences patch over things. What the movie is like doesn't matter. It's getting you in there that matters. So the trailer and title and tag line and actors will talk it up to get you there. Then you get a formulaic movie with no script or actors just cheap action sequences. Edited by wasted