3) Riad

4) YCBM

5) Used to Love Her

6) PC

7) Shackler's

8) Civil War

9) Bad Apples

10) Perfect Crime

Easy to come up with 10, but you were supposed to come up with 5. Which 5 of those who you choose? just curious. :tongue2:

Hmm, again not in order:

1) Bad Obsession

2) Riad

3) Shackler's

4) YCBM

5) Used to Love Her (Live Era version)

• Like 1

1. This I Love

2. My Michelle

3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn

4. My World

I don't think My Michelle is actually a bad song though :shrugs:

* Welcome To The Jungle

* 14 Years

* Locomotive (Complicity)

* November Rain

* Don't Cry

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

Okay, my top 5:

1. Welcome To The Jungle - It's not only the definitive GNR song (in my eyes anyway), but also the definitive hard rock song. This song has everything, a great intro, a cool riff, hooks for days and plenty of attitude. It is also the best song in pretty much most GNR concerts.

2. Coma - Too awesome to put into words. I love everything about it. Such a great song to listen to with your headphones on, listening out for all the little nuances and voices/special effects. I love the calm in the middle before exploding back into THAT riff. Damn powerful stuff.

3. November Rain - Very easy to take for granted quite how brilliant this song is, especially seeing as it's been played to death over the years, by not only me, but the band itself and music channels the world over. But sometimes a bands biggest hit really is up there with their best work, and this is the case with November Rain. That outro alone is just fantastic.

4. Shacklers Revenge - May be considered a controversial choice by some, but I love everything about this track. From the low demonic vocals in the verses, to the brilliant, driving pre-chorus ("don't ever try to tell me..."). I love the breakdown in the middle, the way it sounds almost like tribal chanting. And Ron's tapping over the final chorus builds the song to a fantastic crescendo.

5. Locomotive - Some of Axl''s best lyrics, I love his obnoxious vocal styling on this one and the piano outro really takes the song to a whole other level. Sheer awesomeness.

Okay, my top 5:

1. Welcome To The Jungle - It's not only the definitive GNR song (in my eyes anyway)

Definitive Guns songs: WTTJ, Nightrain, Paradise City, Estranged, Rocket Queen.

I don't get the love for Nightrain and to a lesser extent, Rocket Queen.

Don't get me wrong, great songs but I think they are a bit "juvenile".

Okay, my top 5:

1. Welcome To The Jungle - It's not only the definitive GNR song (in my eyes anyway)

I'm a bit "juvenile" myself so I relate to it more compared to others I guess. And for me, it's more about the spirit of the songs and it was real. Slash and Duff were alcoholics and Rocket Queen expressed the sex and the need for an emotional connection in one song, and also musically the band could groove, but also take it to another level beyond just a typical hard rock song and express something heartfelt. It's an evolution from songs like Anything Goes.

Nightrain sounds epic to me. It's about drinking, but every band member brings something crucial to the song and it becomes something much bigger thanks to the chemistry they've had.

Okay, my top 5:

Okay, my top 5:

I kind of agree with you on Nightrain (good song but not up their with the best on Appetite imo), but Rocket Queen? The last minute or so of that song is all shades of epic.

Okay, my top 5:

I would add November Rain to the list and replace Rocket Queen with SCOM. Even though I prefer RQ personally, if we're talking definitive GNR songs, SCOM has to be there for the riff alone, let alone it's phenomenal solo and the fact its probably the most widely known GNR song. Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

I would add November Rain to the list and replace Rocket Queen with SCOM. Even though I prefer RQ personally, if we're talking definitive GNR songs, SCOM has to be there for the riff alone, let alone it's phenomenal solo and the fact its probably the most widely known GNR song.

So:

1. WTTJ

2. Paradise City

3. SCOM

4. November Rain

5. Estranged

An ugly list.

Edited by Rovim

I would add November Rain to the list and replace Rocket Queen with SCOM. Even though I prefer RQ personally, if we're talking definitive GNR songs, SCOM has to be there for the riff alone, let alone it's phenomenal solo and the fact its probably the most widely known GNR song.

So:

1. WTTJ

2. Paradise City

3. SCOM

4. November Rain

5. Estranged

An ugly list.

Not sure what you mean by ugly. Nothing wrong with that list imo. I don't much care for Paradise City, never have, never will, but it's undisputedly one of their signature tunes.

So:

1. WTTJ

2. Paradise City

3. SCOM

4. November Rain

5. Estranged

An ugly list.

Not sure what you mean by ugly. Nothing wrong with that list imo. I don't much care for Paradise City, never have, never will, but it's undisputedly one of their signature tunes.

Yeah I just meant it's not what defines the band for me, but those songs must be in any "defining list". For a person that never heard any Guns songs, those will surely introduce many aspects and defining elements of the band to the uninitiated ear.

Edited by Rovim

So:

1. WTTJ

2. Paradise City

3. SCOM

4. November Rain

5. Estranged

An ugly list.

Yeah I just meant it's not what defines the band for me, but those songs must be in any "defining list". For a person that never heard any Guns songs, those will surely introduce many aspects and defining elements of the band to the uninitiated ear.

It's a tough one really, talking about the defining songs of an artist or band, because do you define them by their most well known songs, or by the songs which best outline the different elements of their overall sound? If we're going by the latter, there would be no need for both Estranged and NR on the same list. And I would say a song like RQ is more deserving to be on the list over a song like PC, because it shows the chemistry between Duff's bass and Steven's drums which was such an important part of the AFD sound.

Edited by Towelie

Does anybody mention It's So Easy on these lists?

I've never seen ISE on TOP 10 lists, but it is one of the most covered GNR tracks all around and there's a reason why GNR released ISE as a first single form AFD....

So my alternative TOP 5 is:

1. Out'ta Get Me

2. It's So Easy

3. Rocket Queen (live version)

4. 14 Years (with the Slash solo that got cut out)

5. Dead Horse

I've never seen ISE on TOP 10 lists, but it is one of the most covered GNR tracks all around and there's a reason why GNR released ISE as a first single form AFD....

1. Out'ta Get Me

2. It's So Easy

5. Dead Horse

I think the reason why It's So Easy is the most covered GNR song is because it's one of the few from their canon of work that almost anybody could sing. Very few singers could pull off 98% of Axl Rose's vocal performances, but It's So Easy is one of the less taxing GNR classics.

1. Out'ta Get Me

2. It's So Easy

5. Dead Horse

I did