It would be like Izzy's solo career? only albums and no touring and he would bail out on interviews and other things. GNR is just a name, whoever had it, it would be like how their current careers are going on.

It would be like Izzy's solo career? only albums and no touring and he would bail out on interviews and other things. GNR is just a name, whoever had it, it would be like how their current careers are going on.

That's it! Let Izzy handle albums and Axl handle touring. Since either side only does one or the other!

Then Matt Sorum can Tweet about it, Steven Adler can do radio interviews for it, Duff can document it in a book, and they're back!

(I started that with total sarcasm, but by the end of it, I could kind of see that being how the reunion actually goes)

If Izzy took over gnr in 1989 it would have been bloody genius. No shitty videos. No overdubs. Izzy would have came in with 10 demos and said ''there is our new album'' and you simply know it would have been a masterpiece. Axl could get one ballad to satisfy his moist vagina. Slash, a heavy metal song. Leave the rest to Stradlin.

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone likes Izzy's lukewarm shoegazing middle of the road rock more than UYI. That's hilarious. Boy oh boy, why have Estranged when we could have a second-rate Keith Richards number just like a 1000 others?

Edited by tomfriend

I can't believe anyone likes Izzy's lukewarm shoegazing middle of the road rock more than UYI. That's hilarious. Boy oh boy, why have Estranged when we could have a second-rate Keith Richards number just like a 1000 others?

Subjective. I personally hate pomposity in rock. Stradlin manages to tap into the American musical lexicon and delivers music devoid of pretension and silliness.

• Like 1

Subjective. I personally hate pomposity in rock. Stradlin manages to tap into the American musical lexicon and delivers music devoid of pretension and silliness.

Every song sounds so god damn half assed though, I mean we know from his GNR days Izzy can be a pretty decent singer but with his solo stuff it's like he intentionally tries to sound like shit.

I completely understand him wanting to keep things raw and not overthought, but it's way too halfbaked for my liking.

Well that is your own opinion. Listen, Lies is essentially 'Izzy's gnr album'. Patience and Used to Love Her are his songs and his style. If you find these songs rewarding I fail to see how you cannot find something rewarding on his solo discs of music. There are ballads on there every bit as good as Patience (e.g. Gotta Say). Hypothetically, if Izzy had remained in GN'R, some of these songs would have been GN'R songs. And although they are raw and live, there is a clarity in production. Rick Richards is one of the best rock n' roll guitarists you will hear. Duff McKagan's bass lines are as brilliant as they are in GN'R. Taz's drums..I could go on. The production is raw but it has clarity and is uncluttered and free of pretentious gibberish.

• Like 1

Well I like raw music. My favourite rock music of all is the 1950s stuff which was all recorded raw and live.

Absolutely, love all the Sun records stuff, and Little Richard etc. But Jerry Lee and co brought something that Izzy solo is sorely lacking. Bombast and personality.

Edited by tomfriend
  • Like 1

Well I like raw music. My favourite rock music of all is the 1950s stuff which was all recorded raw and live.

Absolutely, love all the Sun records stuff, Little Richard etc. But Jerry Lee and co brought something that Izzy solo is sorely lacking. Bombast and personality.

Listen, Elvis, Chuck, Little Richard (you might say Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, et al) is the greatest music of the last one hundred years. Nobody comes near them. Appetite, the greatest rock n' roll album in my life time, is a pile of poop compared to Little Richard. Little Richard is the greatest rock n' roll singer of all time. Chuck is the greatest guitarist of all time. Elvis is the greatest white man to sing rock. It is unfair to measure anyone against their overwhelming greatness. But if we are going to accept the fact that the 1950s generation is unbeatable, it certainly could be said that Izzy's music has a similar 'character' and there are certainly elements to Izzy's music which honour that musical tradition.

• Like 1

Absolutely, love all the Sun records stuff, Little Richard etc. But Jerry Lee and co brought something that Izzy solo is sorely lacking. Bombast and personality.

Listen, Elvis, Chuck, Little Richard (you might say Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, et al) is the greatest music of the last one hundred years. Nobody comes near them. Appetite, the greatest rock n' roll album in my life time, is a pile of poop compared to Little Richard. Little Richard is the greatest rock n' roll singer of all time. Chuck is the greatest guitarist of all time. Elvis is the greatest white man to sing rock. It is unfair to measure anyone against their overwhelming greatness. But if we are going to accept the fact that the 1950s generation is unbeatable, it certainly could be said that Izzy's music has a similar 'character' and there are certainly elements to Izzy's music which honour that musical tradition.

Yes. Honour....and add what exactly? Cause with his dull delivery and bloodless performances he sure as hell subtracts a lot. If I want to listen to some new retro rock I'd sooner stick on Kitty, Daisy & Lewis.

• Like 1

Yes. Honour....and add what exactly? Cause with his dull delivery and bloodless performances he sure as hell subtracts a lot. If I want to listen to some new retro rock I'd sooner stick on Kitty, Daisy & Lewis.

GN'R were retro rock. GN'R contributed absolutely nothing original to music. They basically just recycled a 1970s Anglo-American hard rock thing (your Zeps and Aerosmiths). It was wonderful because it emerged in a sea of shit - but it was not original.

If Izzy didn't quit then GnR could have created more albums in the 90's. Everyman and his dog acts like GnR died when Slash quit...it all ended when Adler got fired and Izzy quit, Axl was the smart one who took control of the band no matter which ridicule you put on it from a bunch of guys at the time who where addicts, alcoholics & musicians. It wouldn't surprise me if the management at the time was doing lines & drinking a coffee in the mornings.

• Like 1

If Izzy didn't quit then GnR could have created more albums in the 90's. Everyman and his dog acts like GnR died when Slash quit...it all ended when Adler got fired and Izzy quit, Axl was the smart one who took control of the band no matter which ridicule you put on it from a bunch of guys at the time who where addicts, alcoholics & musicians. It wouldn't surprise me if the management at the time was doing lines & drinking a coffee in the mornings.

Very true, all of it.

Axl isn't GNR by himself, but it's sure as shit not GNR without Axl.

It was the 5 of them collectively that created magic, I prefer Axl's (meager) solo output but yeah.

• Like 1

LOL.... I will take straight ahead rock over Estranged every day of the week....

11 solo albums to 1....

LOL.... I will take straight ahead rock over Estranged every day of the week....

11 solo albums to 1....

11 solo albums to 1....

Yeah, straight-ahead rock bro! No surprises, no diversity, just good ol' fashioned riffs and lyrics about gittin' some. Woo!

11 solo albums to 1....

11 solo albums to 1....

Yeah, straight-ahead rock bro! No surprises, no diversity, just good ol' fashioned riffs and lyrics about gittin' some. Woo!

Really, no diversity? Have you listened to any of it? Your comments suggest no. And if CD is what your looking for, wait for CDII or a rerelease of CD with new mixes... Yeah, exciting....

LOL.... I will take straight ahead rock over Estranged every day of the week.... 11 solo albums to 1....

LOL.... I will take straight ahead rock over Estranged every day of the week.... 11 solo albums to 1....

Really, no diversity? Have you listened to any of it? Your comments suggest no. And if CD is what your looking for, wait for CDII or a rerelease of CD with new mixes... Yeah, exciting....

You blanket described it as straight-ahead rock. Now it's diverse? Make your mind up.