Unarmed US Marine prevents massacre

Georgy Zhukov

Maybe it's because I've always been somewhat of a fighter but why are these guys heroes?, isn't it normal to want stop someone whom's sole intent is to hurt you and everybody around you? I hope that's normal for most people right?

yea ok tough guy, I hereby award you the distinguished medal of internet macho

wear it proudly

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I've always been somewhat of a fighter but why are these guys heroes?, isn't it normal to want stop someone whom's sole intent is to hurt you and everybody around you? I hope that's normal for most people right?

Yes, it's perfectly normal to try to take down a man with an AK-47 who's on a killing spree. That's what most people do.

I guess a small fraction of the population are cowards that will just care about self preservation. But not people like you and me. You know... fighters.

Normal to 'want', yes...but no ones commending the desire to be a hero, they're commending the follow through.

Normal to 'want', yes...but no ones commending the desire to be a hero, they're commending the follow through.

In that situation i might have followed through.

• Like 1

By the time you realise what is going on you're probably dead. As a civilian I doubt I'd have recognised the sound of a gun beeing loaded. When it's too late and he shoots, I'd probably be so scared that I'd hide or run.

Theoratically would I fight to save my life? Yes...in real life who knows what we'd do.

• 1 month later...

Like that old thing about how rape crisis centres teach women to shout 'Fire' instead of 'Help' cuz no one responds to 'help'.

I reckon that's actually good advise because everybody loves to see something go up in flames. Hell, you'll get little kids running from miles around if they think a wheelie bin is burning up!

No it really doesn't mate, at least to me it doesn't. I have always been this way even before I joined the military. you come at me I'll take you down I've been like that all my life as far as I can remember. If a kid threw a pebble at me back in primary school he sure wouldn't do it again. It's all I know I guess.

Yeah but that wasnt the question isnt whether someone is coming at me, the question is why is it that generally large groups of people have relatively few among their numbers that engage in random acts of heroism and furthermore your inability to grasp how someone might possibly behave differently to you in a given situation, I mean there wouldnt be a word for it (i.e. hero) is such things were the standard among the human race, would there?

Is this really that complicated for you, do you fancy a girl and not understand why every other last male in the human race doesnt feel the same way, does it confuse you when the rest of the planet doesnt love your mother the same way you do or thinking as highly of the rock bands that you think highly of as you do?

As far as what i would or wouldnt do well you'd have to put me in the situation first and see what happens, i could sit up here and type up a storm about how i would leap right in etc and there have been many such instances where i have as well as many other instances where i have assessed a given situation and ran like fuck...but i wouldnt sit here and make claims that in effect disparaging the bravery of others when all i have to show for my claims is a lot of words, anyone can talk up a storm and, with respect, a great many who do find themselves in such situations and freeze up.

But you just cant fathom how anyone might be reticent no, the existence of prudence or even cowardice as concepts you have absolutely no awareness of?