The Rolling Stones

Snake-Pit

Someone gave me Tommy by The Who and With The Beatles on vinyl and I've never had a record player in my life :lol: They just sat around in my house for ages. Do you listen to most of your stuff on vinyl then? On the wall of this record shop he has all these super rare ones out, one particular one that was quite expensive was some rare pressing of The Who Sell Out.

I don't listen to the Beatles originals. Too rare. If they were perfect condition I might be tempted to if I had a rarely good system but my player is just a bog standard affair. The Zep albums need putting on a bon fire.

You are going to like this,

Proof that they were not really that rebellious. The Beatles would not lower themselves so.

Yeah, i've seen that before :lol: Loads of em did ads, The Who did tons of em. These stances, these ideas like 'selling out' etc and all the various parameters of what does or doesn't involve selling out is something that was kinda solidified later on, invented by journalists and what have you, back then they were just lads out to make money. Kind of like that comedy routine Bill Hicks does where he is lampooning artists that do commercials, something along the lines of 'if you ever do a commercial of any kind you are officially stricken from the artists register', then going on to cite Keith Moon and Keith Richards saying can you imagine those guys ever doing commercials etc etc when the fact is they did do commercials, particularly Keith Moon :lol:

Working class people (which most of The Beatles and Stones and Who etc were) are aspirational folks, especially in them days, this idea that to be true to being working class you must dress like a scruffbag and not want to make money to get above your station in life is a weird one, working class people, especially in this country, are obssessed with dressing smart. Our typical working class lads uniform over here is considered pretty preppy over in America, to this day we still dress in a lot of that Ivy League sort of stuff that mod culture made popular.

I actually gave Zep a real good go, based on people on this forum saying they were the living end if you like...actually properly listened to all the albums all the way through and aside from about like, 10 or so good songs (and thats be charitable) they were pretty naff.

Edited by Len B'stard

I only know of the mock commercials on Sell Out which are hilarious. That might be my favourite 'Oo album. Great cover also, Daltrey in a bathtub of beans.

I am listening to The Genuine Black Box, six disc bootleg: Andrew's Blues, You Got the Silver (Jagger singing), Too Many Cooks (produced by John Lennon), etc.

Someone gave me Tommy by The Who and With The Beatles on vinyl and I've never had a record player in my life :lol: They just sat around in my house for ages. Do you listen to most of your stuff on vinyl then? On the wall of this record shop he has all these super rare ones out, one particular one that was quite expensive was some rare pressing of The Who Sell Out.

I have all the Stones on Vinyl up to and including Dirty Work and original vinyl mono versions of their early albums in only very good condition go for anywhere from $100-400US depending on the album.

There is a British high end vinyl seller on eBay who specializes in mint condition original Beatles vinyl from the 60's, which is crazy expensive, who offered a rare mint condition mono version of Let It Bleed that went for $1000 US. The copy looked like it was just purchased it was so clean.

Old Stones and Beatles vinyl is very collectable and expensive depending on condition, which pressing it is etc........

Collecting vinyl can be a real cult thing as collectors obsess over little details. In addtion to condition of the cover and vinyl, little things like which pressing the vinyl is and how close it is to the orginal stamper adds value to a piece of vinyl. Even the person who cut the metal stampers can make difference in the value of a vinyl pressing. There name or nickname of the person is usually etched into the dead wax of the vinyl.

I was into it for a while at a low level hobby as I can't afford the realy rare pressings. But managed to collect some really nice copies at a reasonable price. Original British releases are usually the most sought after with the U.S. releases looked down on by vinyl collectors as not a good quality sound wise. Here is a Stones website on vinyl I used to go to a lot.

http://stonesondecca.com/4A01_LK4605_Rolling_Stones.html

Also which version of a CD can make a difference on the sound quality because evidently the same master is not always used in every country. British original releases are highly valued but also Japanese and German releases of some CD's are more valuable and sound better then the American release.

The Hoffman forum is a place to get opinions for vinyl and CD sniffers

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/share-your-advice-for-acquiring-the-rolling-stones-on-vinyl.422443/page-2#post-12055059

Edited by classicrawker

One of the girls I know from work has a tattoo of Brian Wilson on her arm, among other artists. She was impressed I knew who he was, I guess people our age don't know the Stones besides The Glimmer Twins. I mentioned how he could play instruments and she was like "Oh he's amazing."

Listened to Some Girls today. Solid album. Other than Miss You, Some Girls and Beast of Burden the deep cuts are great as well. Far Away Eyes is a nice country song, I love it when they do country. Keith's Before They Make Me Run, very honest and no apologies. Shattered is the weakest song, pretty much a warning of what's to come.

Listened to Some Girls today. Solid album. Other than Miss You, Some Girls and Beast of Burden the deep cuts are great as well. Far Away Eyes is a nice country song, I love it when they do country. Keith's Before They Make Me Run, very honest and no apologies. Shattered is the weakest song, pretty much a warning of what's to come.

It has that Chuck Berry stroke punk rock flavour.

It has that Chuck Berry stroke punk rock flavour.

Chuck Berry sense of timing was just fucking precise...and the fact that he did it whilst doing his own rhythm, his own lead lines etc just makes it all the more amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out of Our Heads is ''the Stones does American Soul'': Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding - I suspect it was his arrangement of ''That's How Strong My Love Is'' they imitated. Even the Jagger-Richards number ''Heart of Stone'' has more than a smidgen of soul about it.

Out of Our Heads is ''the Stones does American Soul'': Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding - I suspect it was his arrangement of ''That's How Strong My Love Is'' they imitated. Even the Jagger-Richards number ''Heart of Stone'' has more than a smidgen of soul about it.

I fuckin' love that album...as well as admire their bottle for trying that stuff. On initial listen their takes grated a bit i recall but they really grow on you. And Heart of Stone is a fucking stonking track!

Yes, he had pushed the Byrds into country-rock on Sweetheart of the Rodeo, a masterpiece. Everyone was doing country rock after that album, Dylan (Nashville Skyline), Neil (Harvest) - Zep messed around with it. He was the pioneer of the genre, or fusion-genre as you might call it. Around the time of The Burrito Brothers and his solo stuff he became Keith's junkie buddy. I think Keith put him up in England for awhile and he was at Nellcôte - there are always these discussions about what he plays on Exile. Died in 1973 of junk and booze, another Stones' casualty!

I really like their adaptation of ''I'm Talkin' Bout You'', slower than Chuck's and filled with ''Jaggerisms'' and fills. Probably my favourite of their Berry numbers. The earlier ones like ''Carol'' and ''Come On'' they tended to just play straight.

Edited by DieselDaisy