Far from bolstering generosity, a religious upbringing diminishes it

SoulMonster

It is the same old Soulean nonsense really. Every month or so Soul scurries around the internet to find an anti-religion article in order to post here. Every month it draws the same old tired arguments, Soul and his band of atheist belligerents (Lithium, Dazey, et al.) vs usually me and one or two others. Every month it usually concludes with the same - ''I'm right. Your wrong. Catholics bum boys. Religion was invented in the stone age'' - shout downs.

And on and on it goes...

This is why I never involve myself too deep in discussing religion on here. My faith is the most important aspect of my life, but if I were to elaborate my convictions, I'd rather do it with an intellectual approach. As long as the expected response is "Catholics bum boys" or "what did Jesus have to say about dinosaurs?". I know my audience, so I'm going to stick with talking about my cat, cooking and jokes about boobs.

It is the same old Soulean nonsense really. Every month or so Soul scurries around the internet to find an anti-religion article in order to post here. Every month it draws the same old tired arguments, Soul and his band of atheist belligerents (Lithium, Dazey, et al.) vs usually me and one or two others. Every month it usually concludes with the same - ''I'm right. Your wrong. Catholics bum boys. Religion was invented in the stone age'' - shout downs.

And on and on it goes...

This is why I never involve myself too deep in discussing religion on here. My faith is the most important aspect of my life, but if I were to elaborate my convictions, I'd rather do it with an intellectual approach. As long as the expected response is "Catholics bum boys" or "what did Jesus have to say about dinosaurs?". I know my audience, so I'm going to stick with talking about my cat, cooking and jokes about boobs.

In fairness, it is usually not Soul who descends to that but others. But that is usually where these discussions end up when they are allowed to continue too long.

Lol.

Yea, those damn evil republicans and Christians.

It's also always very intelligent - and fair - to broadly paint a group of hundreds of millions of people with a small stroke into the category you want to use to vilify them.

Maybe what we need are people working TOGETHER instead of always labeling and trying to tear down others.

You don't think it is interesting how religiosity modulate behaviour and that this is important for society? And you don't think it is plausible that if we are more generous as kids we'll also turn up more generous as adults?

To me this is just another result that chips away at the typical arguments for why theism is good, although I take these results with a large grain of salt right now.

Perhaps it is plausible, but there is no proven relationship. All sorts of behvaviors change from childhood to adulthood.

Lol.

It's also always very intelligent - and fair - to broadly paint a group of hundreds of millions of people with a small stroke into the category you want to use to vilify them.

Maybe what we need are people working TOGETHER instead of always labeling and trying to tear down others.

You don't think it is interesting how religiosity modulate behaviour and that this is important for society? And you don't think it is plausible that if we are more generous as kids we'll also turn up more generous as adults?

To me this is just another result that chips away at the typical arguments for why theism is good, although I take these results with a large grain of salt right now.

I think he is upset about me linking Republicans to the Christian religion as if that is some kind of stretch considering how the GOP flaunts it's faith every chance it gets and uses it to justify their opposition to same sex marriage and abortion.

Lol.

Perhaps it is plausible, but there is no proven relationship. All sorts of behvaviors change from childhood to adulthood.

Exactly. This is just another way for people to bash lifestyles and choices that they don't agree with.

What's the point? It's obvious that people aren't looking for an honest back-and-forth, just like in the political thread.

Instead of constantly putting others down and trying to divide people, maybe we should focus on the positive and try and work together to make the world a better place.

Or not. I'm sure a few posters here can keep telling us how evil republicans and Christians are.

And stereotyping them all down to literally being one person who has every negative quality they want to throw out. Just like all catholic priests and all Boy Scout leaders are gay pedofiles. Well, 98% of them are.

Lol.

I think he is upset about me linking Republicans to the Christian religion as if that is some kind of stretch considering how the GOP flaunts it's faith every chance it gets and uses it to justify their opposition to same sex marriage and abortion.
Lol. Don't worry bro. You said you come here to cupcake me. Knowing that, nothing you say about me gets me "upset." It's an Internet forum with complete strangers. Anybody who gets upset by a strangers opinion shouldn't be on the internet. Feel fee to t-roll me all you want. Tho that doesn't really seem like a good solid democrat thing to do? ?

And yes, you are right about the GOP flaunting it's faith every chance it gets. Republicans get a list of ten things/rules that they must follow. They aren't allowed to have open minds or have their own beliefs. It really makes perfect sense to categorize millions of people with a little tiny brush.

It's all good Classic. Don't worry about silly old me. Go Obama!!! Death to those evil republicans!!!! Yay team!!!!!

But dang. I've just heard Obama say "god bless America" and he goes to church. I guess it doesn't really make sense to hate one entire party and claim each member of a party fits into specific categories.

Or maybe it does. Who knows.

Edited by Apollo

Lol.

Lol. Don't worry bro. You said you come here to cupcake me. Knowing that, nothing you say about me gets me "upset." It's an Internet forum with complete strangers. Anybody who gets upset by a strangers opinion shouldn't be on the internet. Feel fee to t-roll me all you want. Tho that doesn't really seem like a good solid democrat thing to do?

And yes, you are right about the GOP flaunting it's faith every chance it gets. Republicans get a list of ten things/rules that they must follow. They aren't allowed to have open minds or have their own beliefs. It really makes perfect sense to categorize millions of people with a little tiny brush.

It's all good Classic. Don't worry about silly old me. Go Obama!!! Death to those evil republicans!!!! Yay team!!!!!

But dang. I've just heard Obama say "god bless America" and he goes to church. I guess it doesn't really make sense to hate one entire party and claim each member of a party fits into specific categories.

Or maybe it does. Who knows.

Never said I was here to tr0ll you mate. Please tell me when I supposedly said this. You claim I said this on JB's forum but I have not posted there is over 2 years, August 2013 to be precise, so please link me the post where I said this. If you feel I have done you wrong and are going to accuse me of something please provide your proof........In any case please explain how I am tr0lling you exactly? Is someone who challenges your opinoins make them a tr0ll? please provide examples where I specifically responded to you where I was tr0lling you.

...There is no tr0lling going on here Apollo I just happen to disagree with a lot of what you post here and respond with a different opinion then you...........You see conspiracies which don't exist my friend.

Getting back on topic Downzy made an excellent observation about religious nations compared the more athiest nations.

IMHO Republican politican POTUS candidates, who love to flaunt their faith, are the ones screaming to end entitlement while the Democrat POTUS candiadates, who rarely mention faith, are the ones trying to help the poor.....go figure.......... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

Lol.

I'd think that in MOST cases it sticks ;)

Lol.

Exactly. This is just another way for people to bash lifestyles and choices that they don't agree with.

Dismissing this study because "kids behaviour probably won't transfer to adulthood", it pretty weak :D Most likely a generous kid will turn into a generous adult.

But you are ALMOST correct with your second sentence, although this isn't about "bashing" but about "presenting criticism" and not against "lifestyles and choices" and such wide things but "theism" in particular.

It's pretty normal for people to be upset when criticism is levered against their religion, but as long as that criticism is well-grounded, then I just think they have to take it. I am always VERY careful to focus on the theism/religion and not their particular adherents when I criticise. That's why I don't criticise people here directly for following particular religions (and I have previosuly stated why I think that would be wrong, not the least because it is hard for us to choose our religion, we inherit them) -- I criticise aspects of religions that I think should be criticised. And we must be allowed to criticise ideas, including theism. It is a requisite for progress. If people who harbour certain ideas try to stifle discussions because they feel personally insulted through association with those ideas, then we have a problem. So stop complaining.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Getting back on topic Downzy made an excellent observation about religious nations compared the more athiest nations.

how about the thought that Christianity, when spoken by conservatives in a nation rich with the resources and opportunity that we have is simply trying to promote self respect, rather than a welfare state.

There is absolutely no reason, with very few exceptions for any able bodied man or woman to be making handouts a political issue, not in this great country.

we, conservatives and liberals alike support the exception, and always have.

What we conservatives DON'T support is these handouts becoming a lifestyle and a political football.

and neither does any honest liberal.

The liberal political system promotes this social setting war as a way to garner votes from a segment of the population that could care less about little else.

and that's what makes them the sad lot they are, and anyone that supports them is walking the thin line of being just as pathetic because of it.

I don't think there's anything bullshit about the study itself, the science appears solid. What is perhaps bullshit is how the findings are used...

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822%2815%2901167-7

Here is the authors' own conclusion:

Overall, our findings cast light on the cultural input of religion on prosocial behavior and contradict the common-sense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind toward others. More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that the secularization of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness—in fact, it will do just the opposite.