GnR’s place in hard rock history?

I wouldn't call The Stones hard rock either. Not trying to t.r.o.l.l. I just got off topic a little bit. On topic: I think The Jimi Experience was psychedelic bluesy hard rock. I consider them to be the finest hard rock group ever.

Whenever somebody disagrees with him be always says they are t-rolling.

Beatles are most overrated band in history.

Every American soldier should be doing longer jail sentences than Charles Manson.

Manson being in prison is the most hypocritical action in the history of the U.S.

That's the kind of deep thinker you are dealing with.

But he is an obvious cupcake

Whenever i point out an obvious cupcake, you came here to defend that cupcake

Coincidence? i think not

So you saved my earlier posts in a totally unrelated thread and pasted here to justify your point?

and you '"called out" my obsession against you lolololol

Btw it's not my fault that you don't even know that he never killed a human being yet he served one of the longest sentences in the US history...

We simply disagree

Yeah, cause you're simply wrong.

AC/DC with their "obvious" approach is better than the beatles ever was

Comedic gold.

Please post more.

This forum deserves you!!!!

It's really an undeniable fact that GnR was part of and arose from the "hair metal" scene in L.A. And they did take on certain aspects of that scene's image, sound and culture...especially early on. But to imply that they were just another hair band and somehow on the same level with bands like Poison, Ratt, Faster Pussycat, etc. is not a fair statement. GnR clearly had something that set them apart from their peers. Calling GnR just another hair metal band is like calling Zeppelin just another British bluinfluences, their look.es band.

What is that something that is so "clear"?

Does your level mean in record sales? Because then GNR are on a different level from say, Tora Tora. But in terms of their sound, their look, their lyrics, their pouty red lips in music videos, their blush and eye shadow, the screeching vocals, the babys and the sugars and the honeys and the songs and ballads about da bitches and songs about partying and drugs and their photo shoots with the obligatory bottle of jack, the dangling marlboros hanging out of the faux dazed faces of fake tough guys in spandex underwear and pants, the whole calculated thing with millions of dollars of major label support behind them? ..... that's all hair metal and a product of the times. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary, they didnt change music or bring back danger or any other press clipping nonsense. They were, in fact, just another band that broke thru to the mainstream. And by breaking thru, they used, as I said, the millions and millions of dollars of label support, marketing and money. All very calculated and a lot of it fabricated. They werent punk in anyway, shape or form. The biggest difference between them and a lot of other hair metal bands is the marketing.

If you can't recognize the difference in talent between GnR and Warrant, between Slash and Mick Mars, etc...then so be it. I won't waste any more of your time or my time trying to convince you.

It's really an undeniable fact that GnR was part of and arose from the "hair metal" scene in L.A. And they did take on certain aspects of that scene's image, sound and culture...especially early on. But to imply that they were just another hair band and somehow on the same level with bands like Poison, Ratt, Faster Pussycat, etc. is not a fair statement. GnR clearly had something that set them apart from their peers. Calling GnR just another hair metal band is like calling Zeppelin just another British bluinfluences, their look.es band.

Does your level mean in record sales? Because then GNR are on a different level from say, Tora Tora. But in terms of their sound, their look, their lyrics, their pouty red lips in music videos, their blush and eye shadow, the screeching vocals, the babys and the sugars and the honeys and the songs and ballads about da bitches and songs about partying and drugs and their photo shoots with the obligatory bottle of jack, the dangling marlboros hanging out of the faux dazed faces of fake tough guys in spandex underwear and pants, the whole calculated thing with millions of dollars of major label support behind them? ..... that's all hair metal and a product of the times. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary, they didnt change music or bring back danger or any other press clipping nonsense. They were, in fact, just another band that broke thru to the mainstream. And by breaking thru, they used, as I said, the millions and millions of dollars of label support, marketing and money. All very calculated and a lot of it fabricated. They werent punk in anyway, shape or form. The biggest difference between them and a lot of other hair metal bands is the marketing.

If you can't recognize the difference in talent between GnR and Warrant, between Slash and Mick Mars, etc...then so be it. I won't waste any more of your time or my time trying to convince you.

So now it's a talent thing?

GnR are more talented than everyone else?

Oh please.

Oh please.

I don't know

I can write "oh please " for your "GNR was just another hair metal band" posts, but i won't

because of salami

GNR got salami in them. That is the difference

Raw meat salami

Edited by Strange Broue

Oh please.

I don't know

I can write "oh please " for your "GNR was just another hair metal band" posts, but i won't

because of salami

GNR got salami in them. That is the difference

Raw meat salami

It's really all about the babys and the sugars and the honeys and the yie yie yies and the walking in the rain and the i'll never leave yous....coupled with the pouty red lips sucking on da marlboro reds. Salami is the icing on top of the, dare I say, cherry pie

Edited by Sixes

The biggest difference between GNR and the other hair metal bands was the quality of the music. I'd love to be proven wrong. If someone can point me to a hair metal band that made music as great as GNR did, I'd be forever grateful.

I don't really agree with the GNR brought nothing new to music argument either. Sure, they weren't as revolutionary as many other bands. But I've never heard anything that would be comparable to November Rain. Sure, it's influenced by Queen, Elton John and many others. But in the end nothing before it and nothing after it has ever sounded quite like November Rain. It was something new. Certainly not something that any other hair metal band could have created.

The biggest difference between GNR and the other hair metal bands was the quality of the music. I'd love to be proven wrong. If someone can point me to a hair metal band that made music as great as GNR did, I'd be forever grateful.

I don't really agree with the GNR brought nothing new to music argument either. Sure, they weren't as revolutionary as many other bands. But I've never heard anything that would be comparable to November Rain. Sure, it's influenced by Queen, Elton John and many others. But in the end nothing before it and nothing after it has ever sounded quite like November Rain. It was something new. Certainly not something that any other hair metal band could have created.

You lost me on the Novermber Rain part

Elton John made plenty of November Rains

Queen too

oh and btw Home Sweet Home is another November Rain, lol

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

You lost me on the Novermber Rain part

Elton John made plenty of November Rains

Queen too

What songs exactly are November Rains in your opinion? There's similarities here and there, but I've never heard one song that would be the whole package. That would have all the ingredients that November Rain packs together.

oh and btw Home Sweet Home is another November Rain, lol

Lol, indeed! Are you kidding me? Home Sweet Home is a basic power ballad with a basic verse chorus verse song structure. It's almost like a pop song. There's nothing epic about it really. There's no orchestra. If that's a November Rain to you, then I guess Radiohead sounds exactly like Pink Floyd to you and The Beatles totally ripped of Elvis.

Nah man, there's more to November Rain, than just piano and guitar.

Edited by Lies They Tell

I never knew exactly what the definition of hair metal was, so I looked it up:

Rock or heavy metal music of the late 1980s performed by highly commercialized bands characterized by elaborate hairstyles, grotesque makeup, and highly theatrical costumes and stage sets.

So was GnR a hair metal band? Who cares... why must people always label everything. The same thing happened in the early 90s... every rock band from Seattle was considered grunge no matter how different their sound was. Nirvana sounded nothing like Alice In Chains. Pearl Jam sounded nothing like the Melvins.

I guess GnR were different from other ''rock'' bands in LA because they threw a lot of different rock genres in their music like punk and more bluesy stuff and that is why they appealed to a lot of people. Therefore their sound was different and some really good songs combined with the wild image they created is why they stood out from those cheesy metal bands.

The bluesy sound was a hallmark of many hard rock/hair metal bands of the era.

I fail to see anything remotely related to punk in gnr's sound whatsoever.

Certainly the bluesy rock sound of their inspirations shines thru as well as the influence of their contemporaries at the time in sound, guitar style, lyrics and axl's screeching vocals. Those types of vocals were a big part of the scene and still are.

I'm not big on labels for the most part but if you're talking about gnr and their era, the big falsehood is that they were different or above the scene when they werent. They broke thru most of the pack in terms of record sales although a lot of those bands were also selling millions of albums and millions of singles. A lot of people hear the term hair metal and it's a turn off, a blight on music and that their favorite band couldnt possibly be part of it. So what if they are? It doesnt change your taste

I think GnR had more bluesy influences in their music than most of those ''hair metal'' bands that I know from the 80s, I'm not saying GnR were the only band with bluesy licks, though.

If you can't hear the punk influence in some of their stuff, then I can't help you. I'm not even going to give examples because it's too obvious.

Rock or heavy metal music of the late 1980s performed by highly commercialized bands characterized by elaborate hairstyles, grotesque makeup, and highly theatrical costumes and stage sets.

So was GnR a hair metal band? Who cares... why must people always label everything. The same thing happened in the early 90s... every rock band from Seattle was considered grunge no matter how different their sound was. Nirvana sounded nothing like Alice In Chains. Pearl Jam sounded nothing like the Melvins.

I guess GnR were different from other ''rock'' bands in LA because they threw a lot of different rock genres in their music like punk and more bluesy stuff and that is why they appealed to a lot of people. Therefore their sound was different and some really good songs combined with the wild image they created is why they stood out from those cheesy metal bands.

Certainly the bluesy rock sound of their inspirations shines thru as well as the influence of their contemporaries at the time in sound, guitar style, lyrics and axl's screeching vocals. Those types of vocals were a big part of the scene and still are.

I'm not big on labels for the most part but if you're talking about gnr and their era, the big falsehood is that they were different or above the scene when they werent. They broke thru most of the pack in terms of record sales although a lot of those bands were also selling millions of albums and millions of singles. A lot of people hear the term hair metal and it's a turn off, a blight on music and that their favorite band couldnt possibly be part of it. So what if they are? It doesnt change your taste

I think GnR had more bluesy influences in their music than most of those ''hair metal'' bands that I know from the 80s, I'm not saying GnR were the only band with bluesy licks, though.

If you can't hear the punk influence in some of their stuff, then I can't help you. I'm not even going to give examples because it's too obvious.

Please give me the examples of punk. I've been listening to gnr for almost 30 years now. Yet to hear anything punk in their music so it's not obvious to me, apparently.

Please help!

This forum is fucking hilarious

I start to think that everyone in here is just joking when they post

All I can say is that either extreme ignorance or trolling (or possibly both) is running rampant on this forum. There can be no other explanation for some of the comments. Shame on me for taking the bait. And, no, I'm not saying that anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant or a cupcake...you know who you are.

This happens when you're an artist and you completely abandon your remaining fanbase and drag down the band name to the point when there is basically no come back without being ridiculed

Please give me the examples of punk. I've been listening to gnr for almost 30 years now. Yet to hear anything punk in their music so it's not obvious to me, apparently.

Please help!

Maybe that is the problem... you should listen to some punk records first... then you will understand what punk rock is, then listen to GnR again and you might hear the influence... I know you can do it! Good luck.

If gnr are punk, ian mackaye and jello biafra are rolling over in their graves.

And they're not dead yet

You're not too bright it seems. No one is calling GnR a punk band for christ's sake. But obviously there are some punk influence in some of their songs.

Please help!

Maybe that is the problem... you should listen to some punk records first... then you will understand what punk rock is, then listen to GnR again and you might hear the influence... I know you can do it! Good luck.
Give me some examples of punk bands for I know none!!!

If you say Hanoi Rocks, which i'm expecting, I will put a safety pin thru my balls

Edited by Sixes

Please help!

And they're not dead yet

You're not too bright it seems. No one is calling GnR a punk band for christ's sake. But obviously there are some punk influence in some of their songs.

I would say the only punk rockish song they ever had it's You're Crazy (afd version)

Other than that and the TSI covers, there's is NOTHING punk rock about them

Please help!

And they're not dead yet

And I'm asking for the punk examples.

Please list them, in detail.

I bet you guys consider 90s Green Day as close to punk as it gets and nothing more. A bit of musically retardedness (I think I made that word up) is going on in this thread.

You would lose that bet

Please help!

And they're not dead yet

I would say the only punk rockish song they ever had it's You're Crazy (afd version)

And they drained all of the punk spirit out of the punk covers on tsi

I bet you guys consider 90s Green Day as close to punk as it gets and nothing more. A bit of musically retardedness (I think I made that word up) is going on in this thread.

A few days ago i was argued with bacardi on Green Day is punk rock or not

I stand behind the " i think they are a bunch of suburban pop rock rich kids" opinion.

So you would lose your bet

Btw callling GNR punk rock is the true musical retardation so you might congrats to yourself to reach this achievement

Edited by Strange Broue

A few days ago i was argued with bacardi on Green Day is punk rock or not

I stand behind the " i think they are a bunch of suburban pop rock rich kids" opinion.

So you would lose your bet

Btw callling GNR punk rock is the true musical retardation so you might congrats to yourself to reach this achievement

I mentioned ian mackaye and jello biafra

I thought they were the singers for green day and the offspring, respectively

#MUSICALRETARDATION

• Like 1

You would lose that bet

Please help!

And they're not dead yet

Well, New Rose was ok

Raw Pwer was pretty bad

Down on the Farm with the fake accent is a bit messy

Attitude was decent

The rest of the songs are bad on their original form so...

You would lose that bet

Please help!

And they're not dead yet

Well, New Rose was ok

Raw Pwer was pretty bad

Down on the Farm with the fake accent is a bit messy

Attitude was decent

The rest of the songs are bad on their original form so...

I'll give you new rose

The fake accent is so green day, who are the epitome of punk, so yeah, punk!

Edited by Sixes

What is that you guys don't seem to understand? I'm not saying GnR is punk rock but there are definitely elements of punk in their music here and there. And why would that be strange? All the members in the band lived through the punk invasion of the late 70s and a lot of bands since then have elements of punk in their music. I'm not talking about the punk fashion or ideals. But I'm talking about the music. Duff had been in nothing but punk bands before he joined GnR and Izzy was influenced by it too. Again I'm talking about the music.

Edited by EvanG

What is that you guys don't seem to understand? I'm not saying GnR is punk rock but there are definitely elements of punk in their music here and there. And why would that be strange? All the members in the band lived through the punk invasion of the late 70s and a lot of bands since then have elements of punk in their music. I'm not talking about the punk fashion or ideals. But I'm talking about the music. Duff had been in nothing but punk bands before he joined GnR and Izzy was influenced by it too. Again I'm talking about the music.

Btw, Motörhead is more punk rock than GNR

They mostly are not making 3 power chords music either

So by your logic almost all the bands is punk rock, because they were influenced by them

Btw what is influenced? One or two band members like punk bands or played in punk bands earlier?

I wouldn't call that a punk rock influence....

I'm not getting into another word definition discussion with someone on the internet. Maybe punk means something else to you.

To me punkrock is fast and abrasive, more often than not mostly powerchord based loud music. When I listen to GnR records I hear some of those elements here and there. Whether it's You're Crazy, Think About You or songs like Shotgun Blues or the Duff part in Get In The Ring. I don't claim them to be punk rock songs, but I can definitely hear the influence shining through. I never stated that they were a punk rock band anyway.

I am not talking about the punk fashion, their ideals being anti-establishment, or their attitudes, although in that aspect GnR were very punk if you want to put that spin on it.

I usually don't agree with critics, but almost every review of AFD mentions the punk elements, next to the hard rock and all the other elements you find in their music.

Edited by EvanG