Gilby Clarke On Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'I'm Happy That The Guys Are Back Together' 

9 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Now if Slash was a little more patient and thats asking a lot considering his feud with Tobias and how douchey he was as evident by Sorums comments.

Who? what? where?

10 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Axl's original vision for following up UYI

Axl's vision haha! To lead Guns to a nadir of wretchedness, releasing an album of fabricated overdubs and tour with hack musicians as laughable as DJ Ashbam and Pitman - yes, I quite agree, Slash and Duff are now understanding his 'original vision' and have adapted themselves as 'nugnr' musicians accordingly. Keep playing that 'Chinese Democracy' numetal riff Slash as it is never going to get any better.

• Like 2

In my opinion, Appetite For Destruction is GNR's best album, I don't see how getting farther from it than they got with the Illusions would be a good idea.

I love Axl and I really like Chinese Democracy overall but the first song Axl released after everyone left was 'Oh My God'. Thank god Slash wasn't part of that and instead went on to release stuff like Ain't Life Grand.

I don't expect GNR to release 'Appetite 2' (if they ever release another album) but I certainly hope it will be some sort of 'Use Your Illusion III', something in the middle of Appetite and Chinese. Of course, the closer to Appetite, the better. :D

Edited by BorderlineCrazy
  • Like 1

Oh My God is a killer song. Probably better than half of CD. Certainly the best rocker out of the bunch or on par with Shacklers. I don't really count Better as a rocker. 

OMG is way better than Scraped, Rhiad, CD etc

That song is so fuckin edgy. Especially Axl's mean vocals. A perfect evolution from Welcome to the Jungle and Appetite. The perfect follow up to AFD & UY! IMO

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Oh My God is a killer song. Probably better than half of CD. Certainly the best rocker out of the bunch or on par with Shacklers. I don't really count Better as a rocker. 

OMG is way better than Scraped, Rhiad, CD etc

That song is so fuckin edgy. Especially Axl's mean vocals. A perfect evolution from Welcome to the Jungle and Appetite. The perfect follow up to AFD & UY! IMO

I actually like Oh My God for what it is... But doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses song and I don't consider it one.

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I actually like Oh My God for what it is... But doesn't sound like a Guns N' Roses song and I don't consider it one.

I like it for that very reason! I find it to be the one song that conveys a total sense of separation between the original Guns sound and what Axl's vision "was".

It reminds me of Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis, except he didn't try to recreate Genesis with a bunch of other dudes. He just went off into his own world. I kind of wish Axl had been able to achieve that.

• Like 1

Yes exactly! I wish the rockers on cd went more in the direction of OMG. It had elements of NIN but still had the GNR edge. If you really think about it OMG doesn't sound like anything you've heard on radio before. It sounded fresh and new whereas  the song CD sounds like it could've been a Nirvana song.

GNR fans just weren't quite ready for it as Slash leaving was so fresh in everyone mind. I will admit I thought it was blasphemy when I first heard it. I was 16 and just getting into GNR, AFD, UYI etc. so I wasn't at the stage in my fandom where I was going to be receptive to a new song. I needed to catch up and go through the process that Axl and the older fans had gone though. Looking back now they were a lot of fans 10yrs older who were into a new direction. They had already exhausted through the old material and we're excited about something new. This is all a lot more exciting to me than hearing GN'R still play the same 6-8 AFD songs. I don't know how a band like ACDC does it but it works for them. Their fans love them despite the fact they didn't evolve one bit. Although i always wonder if they would've evolved bad Bon not passed. Once they brought in Brian Johnson they became frozen in time as the goal was to find a seamless transition from Bon.

Like I said if only Slash was sober then and a little more patient and Axl of course hadn't forced his douchey Indiana buddy Tobias on the band. Axl, Slash, Duff & Matt had it in them to make an epic follow up to UYI. Like I also said they proved Axl right with their abilities to experiment in VR, Loaded & SMKC. With the help of some excellent electronic, boundary pushing,  Avant-garde musicians like Robin Finck & Melissa Reece or even Pittman if he wasn't such a douchey tool. 

A lot of the hate I've seen over the years towards Axl is because of how the band broke up and what went on earlier with Adler & Izzy. Axl was certainly no saint in any of this.

I don't think the hate comes from Axl's vision in following up UYI. I think the fans at the time would've been very receptive to evolving and I think Axl sensed that they could pull it off. It's all the other nonsense that got in the way and they all share the blame. 

A reunion is happening now for a multitude of reasons. One being they are all sober. They also have a more mature outlook on life. This is also the case with the Misfits. Danzig admitted that seeing his peers and idols die in 2016 put things into perspective. I'd imagine it was the same with GNR.

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1