Gilby Clarke On Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'I'm Happy That The Guys Are Back Together' 

10 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Wow. What a surly bunch of people you are. 

One comment - after a very honest and respectful interview - and you guys are basing Gilby. 

Lots of of posters on here complain about negativity in posters and comments. Lots of people on here destroy anybody that dares say something negative about Axl and any of his performances. Lots of "f*ck the haters" type reactions.

But some of you are sure quick to go into instant full blown insult mode if you disagree with or don't like a musician. How are you people any different than those you complain about?

Nothing Gilby said deserves this much negativity. 

Nothing to worry about friend.

It's just the natural reaction due to the fighting about the "regrouping/hybrid" lineup; and things like the "additional musicians" nonsense that people grab on to support their arguments

Gilby's a fucking rock star. He played with the band at the absolute peak of their popularity. Every time someone watches "November Rain" on YouTube, they see Gilby.

You don't have to know Gilby personally to know he's a cool, easy going guy! Everyone should check out his Instagram. He's laid back, fun and comfortable in his skin. I've never seen him use his time with Guns in an unscrupulous manner, say like some 'DJ' out there.

• Like 4

Gilby saved the UYI tour and his image and guitar playing style was the perfect replacement. The problem is he never reached Sorum levels of making a difference.

He seems like a cool guy with a Stones vibe. But the shoes were too big to fill. Axl just didn't have that connection with him like Izzy and Paul.

And btw, Izzy's stage presence is great. Seems to reflect the person. It's still fun to watch, I love it. There is no problem with it imo. Some people are more animated on stage like Fortus which is also fine.

Izzy brings a ton of charisma to the stage and yes, you can hear his guitar. It's sloppy and great. Like in Ghost and all of his solo albums. He's just lazy live, as live playing involves a lot of moving of the hands.

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

Gilby saved the UYI tour and his image and guitar playing style was the perfect replacement. The problem is he never reached Sorum levels of making a difference.

We will never know but if the band didn't break up he may have.  Pawnshop Guitars and his contributions to the first Snakepit weren't too shabby. 

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

We will never know but if the band didn't break up he may have.  Pawnshop Guitars and his contributions to the first Snakepit weren't too shabby. 

Agreed, I was actually listening to Pawnshop Guitars the other day....some good riffs and lyrics.

• Like 1

On 15 May 2016 at 8:41 AM, Kenan said:

"Some times more prevalent than other"? "Generally a bit quiter anyway at times"?

Call me simple, but I am not interested in 'nuances". I wanna hear the damn thing as it should be heard. Not, hear it sometimes because it might get louder sometimes or the guy is not playing the same riff or whatever. With Fortus, we finally have a rhytm guitar you can actually hear clearly. And not on a good day, but always. As it should be. I hope it stays that way. If you were happy with Izzy/Gilby's volumes, great. I never was. They looked like they were on playback or something. At least 'sometimes'.

I doubt very much that Izzy or Gilby chose to be so quiet in the live mix. I think that might have been out of their hands

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think his song Skin & Bones would have been great for the acoustic set they were doing in '93.

Also, the tour was called Skin N' Bones so it would have worked on many levels :P

11 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I think his song Skin & Bones would have been great for the acoustic set they were doing in '93.

Also, the tour was called Skin N' Bones so it would have worked on many levels :P

''What came first, the chicken or the egg'', one wonders?

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Love that song! I could also picture Axl singing it with him back in the day.

6 hours ago, Archtop said:

^^ Gilby, .....I'm a shadow of a Maaan, just skin and bones....It's not bad.

"Well I had a little sister who could drink up a storm, if the liquor didn't kill her, she'd be 21"

• Like 1

What would happen if Izzy signed on? Izzy, Fortus & Slash is a little redundant.  I guess Fortus would handle some of bucket heads parts but that isn't much. Him and Izzy would be extremely redundant. 

Finck, Buckethead & Fortus was great because they each brought their own style with Fortus assuming Izzy's role.

is Axl's loyalty to Fortus keeping Izzy out? Nah I'm sure it's the lack of commitment and lowball $$$ offer

Cure Me...Or Kill Me, Skin N' Bones, and Tijuana Jail would've made amazing GN'R songs. Perfect fits for a post UYI record. Shame they were rejected. I asked Gilby once if his solo stuff was initially written for GN'R and he had said yes but Axl wasn't into it. Shame I didn't screenshot it.

Edited by HeartbreakerWoman

1 hour ago, HeartbreakerWoman said:

Cure Me...Or Kill Me, Skin N' Bones, and Tijuana Jail would've made amazing GN'R songs. Perfect fits for a post UYI record. Shame they were rejected. I asked Gilby once if his solo stuff was initially written for GN'R and he had said yes but Axl wasn't into it. Shame I didn't screenshot it.

I can totally see why Axl regected them. I love Gilby. Seen him and million times. Own all his records but you simply cannot follow UYI up with those songs or the Snakepit 1 songs for that matter and I consider myself a Slash guy more than anything. 

Now if Slash was a little more patient and thats asking a lot considering his feud with Tobias and how douchey he was as evident by Sorums comments. But if Slash stuck around, put his ego aside and they eventually brought in Robin Finck, who Matt was very fond of. Pretty sure it was Matts idea to call Finck. Matt was very much into the electronic side of music and NIN at the time. Those guys would made the appropriate follow up to UYI. 

And that was Axl's vision and Axl himself said Slash had it in him to push himself  and stray from his comfort zone for the better.

Slash and Duff proved that working with Scott in VR. And they continued experimenting with different sounds with Loaded and SMKC. 

And the fact that they are playing CD songs proves that now that they are sober they understood and respect Axl's original vision for following up UYI

Edited by Top-Hatted One