GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

36 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yes, that's from Marc's wedding. Interesting assortment of people there- Axl's brother Stuart, Axl and Slash (does Axl have his arm around Slash? it looks like Axl's got his arms around Slash and the chick on the left), Duff cuddling Mandy... and where's Izzy?

@giuls and @killuridols I get the impression Axl actually is somewhat religious. I remember him saying his religious beliefs are difficult to explain and that he doesn't want to talk about them in the 90s. More recently Pamela Manning claimed that Axl does believe in God. So I don't find his crucifix obsession that surprising. He also probably likes the gruesome, tortured messiah aspect of these things. 

Yes, Axl's holding both the girl and Slash.

Oh, okay, then, because an atheist with a crucifix obsession was strange to me but if he has some sort of religious it makes sense :lol:

30 minutes ago, killuridols said:

With every year that passes, with every day that goes by, every time more I think that image of Jesus in the cross is one of the most horrible images, symbols or whatever it is, this rotten humanity has created

:vomit:

I'd never have that creepy distasteful image in my home or anywhere.

Cruxification is torture.

It symbolize the pain christ beared for our sins and the infinity of god's love, you can not like it, but it was done on purpose as a reminder to people, christians are aware is torture, that's the whole point.  

• Like 3

I've always liked that one. The way Axl looks at Slash is quite sweet. And I like how Slash's just lying there on his stomach, right next to Axl.

WOnder what he's doing lying like this on stage, especially that I can see no guitar

@Frey I don't remember what I said, but I normally say the Oh My God lyrics are up there in my all time favourite lyrics ever. I wish the song had been better musically, that part really lets it down for me and I always felt it deserved better than sounding like a crappy demo.

I personally love those darker songs Axl writes, compared to stuff like November Rain and TIL I'd take Oh My God and Shacklers Revenge over them any day.

I think those lyrics you posted are better than some that made it onto CD (TIL) I think if he were seriously going to use them, he would rework them anyway. It's cool to see rough drafts though, and how they seem to be written on paper he's just grabbed from anywhere. Seems he's the type that something just pops into his head and then it flows, rather than a sit down and work at it kind. Thats kind of a curse in itself, you can't force it like some people can. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, no way that's the Canter picture, besides Marc is on his shit-list so..... no way and the picture hanging from his wall looks like people bending over? like praying?

I notice the cross-like structure behind too....

I don't think he has any picture or painting that is related to Guns N' Roses.

Most of the stuff, art, decoration in his house looks to me like "tribal", don't know how to call it, but mostly related to religion, tribe customs, african or latinamerican aboriginal culture.

lol I have no clue about this but yeah, the first one looks like direct criticism of organized religions.

I'd like to know what year he wrote this though.... because all of his crucifixes collection would make no sense in this context :question:
Why collect and put in the middle of your living room the icon or representant of such a horrible religion?

Also....  "Tax writeoffs + shelters + such
Funded by the ignorants' bucks"

is kind of, hilarious coming from him, knowing that he later followed the word of a bunch of charlatans and shady people who were "funded" by him and other, argh.... people...... who believed in them :facepalm:

As for "Tantrum"... don't know what to say. Looks like a draft and it's really bad, either as lyrics or poems, not his best work.

Mention of "God" also makes some noise.

He's a walking contradiction-

He believes in God not religion. I understand tht

Edited by SerenityScorp
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 6:07 PM, Frey said:

Yeah I always wondered if Izzy and Slash ever sat down with Axl to teach him to play. Would have been a good bonding thing too. But Axl had his own guitar teacher, so I figure Slash and Izzy didn't spend all that much time teaching him (if they ever did at all).

I found these quotes on Axl's guitar playing in this thread. Sounds like he was pretty into it in the mid to late '90s. Guess he gave up.

In reference to who had replaced Gilby, Matt Sorum said: "Right now, [Axl]'s playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for ten years." (Matt, 09/23/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Axl is rhythm guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"[Axl's guitar playing] tripped me out when I first came back,' Slash says. 'I figured 'Okay, that's where his focus has been. I haven't really talked to him about it, to tell the truth. I guess he's just been sitting at home, figuring out chords or something. Maybe he's been taking lessons." (Slash, Total Guitar, 01/97)

Axl was throwing himself and Guns into the studio at this time, but he was unable to come up with any ideas. Of Axl's guitar setup, [Dave] Abbruzzese recalls, "You could hunt buffalo with his rig. It had a lot of lights, a lot of blinking lights, a lot of things that you stepped on. It sounded like a freight train that was somehow playable." (Rolling Stone, 05/11/00)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, giuls said:

It symbolize the pain christ beared for our sins and the infinity of god's love, you can not like it, but it was done on purpose as a reminder to people, christians are aware is torture, that's the whole point.  

I dont believe in any of that. In my view, the whole thing is insane and those explanations barely make sense to me.

Sins, torture, reminder of torture and such are based on guilt and fear. Those two things screw people's minds and lives.

Of course, this is my opinion and I'm not gonna convince anyone of changing their faith or beliefs. I was raised as Roman Catholic but I never hooked up on it. As soon as I could get rid of it, I did it because all I got from it was hate and inappropriate conduct from one priest.

I reject any type of religion and existence of gods, as well as devils.

1 hour ago, SerenityScorp said:

He believes in God not religion. I understand tht

Not sure one can be disassociated from the other.

Many people use that line as an excuse to not tie themselves to the rules of a religion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

I dont believe in any of that. In my view, the whole thing is insane and those explanations barely make sense to me.

Sins, torture, reminder of torture and such are based on guilt and fear. Those two things screw people's minds and lives.

Of course, this is my opinion and I'm not gonna convince anyone of changing their faith or beliefs. I was raised as Roman Catholic but I never hooked up on it. As soon as I could get rid of it, I did it because all I got from it was hate and inappropriate conduct from one priest.

Many people use that line as an excuse to not tie themselves to the rules of a religion. 

Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, but....there it is.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I wasn't talking about faith, i dont care about anyone's belief and i'm not really into religion organizzations, but i studied this things academically and i was talking about you talking about it being a symbol about bad things when it's simply wrong.

It may have gruesome imaginary (way less than a lot of things on tv imo) but it's a symbol for love and compassion.

Talking about GNR because we're wildly off topic, i would think Axl is nearer to catholicism than to protestantism looking at the giant crucifix.

Protestants are iconoclastic, he would know since he went to sunday school.

2 hours ago, giuls said:

and i was talking about you talking about it being a symbol about bad things when it's simply wrong.

It may have gruesome imaginary (way less than a lot of things on tv imo) but it's a symbol for love and compassion.

It's only a symbol for love and compassion if you actually believe in any of this shit though (and even then it's still pretty dumb- what's so loving and compassionate about a supposedly almighty and benevolent God looking on as his "son" gets tortured over an abstract, and frankly ridiculous concept such as "sin"?) .

To me it's a symbol of manipulation and the sheer insanity of this world. Of manipulating modern day people with 2000 year old fairy tales.

It doesn't matter if it's Christianity, Islam, Judaism,... it's all the same bullshit and has caused nothing but suffering and trouble throughout human history. And it's just so ridiculous and insane to me that people today are still living their lives according to some dusty old books written hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Worse still, they're using this shit as an excuse to lead wars, commit acts of terrorism, abuse their children, etc. So really, looking at religious symbols of any kind only makes me feel vaguely disgusted and angry at the state of the world.

And to keep this at least marginally on topic, yes, I agree, Axl is probably closer to being something like a Catholic than a Protestant these days.

Which is not exactly surprising, since he's surrounded by tons of Brazilians and Brazilians are Catholic for the most part. Beta and her family probably are Catholics too.

Axl also got a lot of the crucifixes in his collection from South America.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, starbolt said:

I found these quotes on Axl's guitar playing in this thread. Sounds like he was pretty into it in the mid to late '90s. Guess he gave up.

In reference to who had replaced Gilby, Matt Sorum said: "Right now, [Axl]'s playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for ten years." (Matt, 09/23/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Axl is rhythm guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"[Axl's guitar playing] tripped me out when I first came back,' Slash says. 'I figured 'Okay, that's where his focus has been. I haven't really talked to him about it, to tell the truth. I guess he's just been sitting at home, figuring out chords or something. Maybe he's been taking lessons." (Slash, Total Guitar, 01/97)

Axl was throwing himself and Guns into the studio at this time, but he was unable to come up with any ideas. Of Axl's guitar setup, [Dave] Abbruzzese recalls, "You could hunt buffalo with his rig. It had a lot of lights, a lot of blinking lights, a lot of things that you stepped on. It sounded like a freight train that was somehow playable." (Rolling Stone, 05/11/00)

Those are some really interesting quotes, thank you.

So Axl was/is pretty good at playing guitar apparently.

The quote that surprised me the most though was this one:

"It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did."

Kind of weird for Duff to say something like that about Izzy. Duff's the one who never really talked shit about Izzy (unlike Axl and Slash), so it's a bit jarring.

Or if he's really just stating his honest opinion then that flies straight in the face of what a couple of people here like to claim about Izzy being such an underrated musical genius without whom a decent Guns album is impossible. If even Duff (who's supposedly so close with Izzy) thinks that, I can't see them trying very hard to get him on board for songwriting. Which makes me sad.

Edited by Frey

Well blame the people who use tht symbol to manipulate other people

I guess thts the other/hard way to teach Us about sacrifice Ourselves for other people (Kinda like Parents do everything for Children tht They loved happy maybe), love N'compassion like Giuls say. 

1 hour ago, Frey said:

Those are some really interesting quotes, thank you.

So Axl was/is pretty good at playing guitar apparently.

The quote that surprised me the most though was this one:

"It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did."

Kind of weird for Duff to say something like that about Izzy. Duff's the one who never really talked shit about Izzy (unlike Axl and Slash), so it's a bit jarring.

Or if he's really just stating his honest opinion then that flies straight in the face of what a couple of people here like to claim about Izzy being such an underrated musical genius without whom a decent Guns album is impossible. If even Duff (who's supposedly so close with Izzy) thinks that, I can't see them trying very hard to get him on board for songwriting. Which makes me sad.

Makes Me want to hear Axl guitar play other than Dead Horse! I hope @Dexter read this! 

Edited by SerenityScorp
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Well blame the people who use tht symbol to manipulate other people

Makes Me want to hear Axl guitar play other than Dead Horse! I hope @Dexter read this! 

Have you seen the guitar he plays at RIR 01? I want it :lol:

Buckethead sounds immense in that clip though, so can't really hear too well Axls skills. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

@Frey but that's your idea of religion and it's okay, but what your feelings about religion are different from what it is symbolize in the religion and it's disingenuous to change the meaning of the symbol because of your feelings, im not a fan but i know it's not a bad symbol in theory and that's what i was saying , not judging the merits of religion.

If you want to continue, lets PM, i dont want to derail the thread further.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Well nothing's wrong with tht.

Unlike You there are People who didnt like religion but cant throw away Their beliefs of God just like tht

And what is God if not the essence of a religion?

Believing in "god" and not wanting to follow a religion is not compatible.

12 hours ago, Mararoyce said:

Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, but....there it is.

lol :unsure:

8 hours ago, Frey said:

It's only a symbol for love and compassion if you actually believe in any of this shit though (and even then it's still pretty dumb- what's so loving and compassionate about a supposedly almighty and benevolent God looking on as his "son" gets tortured over an abstract, and frankly ridiculous concept such as "sin"?) .

To me it's a symbol of manipulation and the sheer insanity of this world. Of manipulating modern day people with 2000 year old fairy tales.

It doesn't matter if it's Christianity, Islam, Judaism,... it's all the same bullshit and has caused nothing but suffering and trouble throughout human history. And it's just so ridiculous and insane to me that people today are still living their lives according to some dusty old books written hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Worse still, they're using this shit as an excuse to lead wars, commit acts of terrorism, abuse their children, etc. So really, looking at religious symbols of any kind only makes me feel vaguely disgusted and angry at the state of the world.

And to keep this at least marginally on topic, yes, I agree, Axl is probably closer to being something like a Catholic than a Protestant these days.

Which is not exactly surprising, since he's surrounded by tons of Brazilians and Brazilians are Catholic for the most part. Beta and her family probably are Catholics too.

Axl also got a lot of the crucifixes in his collection from South America.

Spot on!

A symbol of love and compassion only in those minds who believe love and compassion comes through suffering and torture. Such notions are very damaging to the psyque of a human being.

If it's a symbol then why is there an actual person nailed to a wooden cross, bleeding and dying? How is that a symbol? It is not. It's very real and it is terrible such image is tried to be passed on as "love" & "compassion".

Also pretty disappointing that after all he went through, Axl likes to collect crucifixes and has that Jesus hanging from the wall in his living room.

Not sure though about TB being Catholics. Coming from SA it is 99% likely but at the same time, I thought Beta was into Yoda along with Axl, so that would contradict her religion if she was a real catholic, believing in that kind of stuff it is not accepted. So now I got confused.

Either way, whether they are all Catholic or still believing in Yoda, it sucks to know they are all trapped in religion or pseudo-religion.

Well I guess People dont have to limit Themselves following religion just for beliefs in God, after All religions have same God but You know tht religions follows different Person like Jesus Christ, Muhammad, etc. Not the God Himself

Even befoe Religion exist, Human believe in God

@Frey Why sin is a ridiculous concept?

Edited by SerenityScorp

2 hours ago, Jane M. said:

This is my Messiah and the one I pray to, The Lord of Avocados. Some will say I'm worshipping the devil but I don't give a fuck, I like it.:hahafyou:

IMG_4385.PNG

That's so funny :lol:

I know you're kidding but worshipping "gods" or human beings is ridiculous. No one should do that. We are all the same even when our own kind is always discriminating ourselves and putting us all in different classes, levels, layers, etc. 

Superior and inferior, that's what religion teaches. What a great lesson :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jane M. said:

This is my Messiah and the one I pray to, The Lord of Avocados. Some will say I'm worshipping the devil but I don't give a fuck, I like it.:hahafyou:

a

Lord of Avocados :rofl-lol: Someone need to photoshop tht

But well, because of religion holiday/festival/event like Easter or Christmas could exist

Edited by SerenityScorp

7 hours ago, Jane M. said:

IMG_4385.PNG

This Izzy picture should be seen in the new banner :headbang: Adler should've been added as well

• Like 1