Slash 1992 Guitar World Interview - question about a song called "Burnout"

First of all: if this is the wrong Subform, please move this thread :)

I just read an interview with Slash in a 1992 issue of Guitar World (screenshot attached), does anyone know that song "Burnout" he's talking about?

I can't find any "tribute to Les Paul" album from that time period, but I'd love to hear that song, especially because it was intended to be a GN'R song, and it seems to feature a killer lineup of musicians.

Probably the whole project was scrapped anyway, Slash mentions that it was very disorganized.

Slashinterview.png

Turns out this album was released in 2005. Haha, so this is Slash's Chinese Democracy :D

Kenny Aronoff plays Drums but it does not feature Duff, Lenny Kravitz or Iggy (Pop, I guess), and it only features one song with Slash, which is called "Vocalise".

And about "Burn Out":

Ain’t Life Grand is the 10th track off the album of the same name, released in 2000.

It’s the first song Slash wrote with Rod Jackson during a trip to New Orleans, and is based on a song that was originally going to be on the Les Paul tribute album, “Burn Out”, which was never released. Slash bought back the rights to his song, and it became Ain’t Life Grand.

So "Ain't Life fucking Grand" was made for GNR? DAMN! How come Axl refused such beautiful piece of music? Or Steven was just too high to play that slow? o_O

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 3

Yeah, it really is a nice song. 

Sucks that we won't get to hear "Burnout", though...

EDIT: Ahaha awesome, that's nice to know, thanks for your research!

Edited by rocco

Nope, just ALG. 

And in the case of ALG, it's not about playing the drums fast/slow/whatever, it's about "feel" and groove, the shuffle rhythm might be kinda hard to play if you're only used to straight rock n roll drumming. Being on whatever kind of drugs Steven was obviously didn't help.

6 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

These stories always kinda reinforce that Steven was obviously in a bad place back in those days. I mean when Slash said that Steven couldn't play Always On The Run?  What sorta drummer can't play that song? 

Exactly my point. I know many keep saying It's not the same with Steven not there but as I have said before Steven couldn't evolve. Steven was a good drummer for Appetite but as this interview shows many great songs didn't come to be back then because he couldn't do them. Sadly it's the truth.

Edited by BOSSY78
edited
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

And about "Burn Out":

Ain’t Life Grand is the 10th track off the album of the same name, released in 2000.

It’s the first song Slash wrote with Rod Jackson during a trip to New Orleans, and is based on a song that was originally going to be on the Les Paul tribute album, “Burn Out”, which was never released. Slash bought back the rights to his song, and it became Ain’t Life Grand.

So "Ain't Life fucking Grand" was made for GNR? DAMN! How come Axl refused such beautiful piece of music? Or Steven was just too high to play that slow? o_O

Not sure why Axl refusing is brought into this? But believe it was as Slash said a song Steven couldn't play.

I think you're missing the point.  It's more about Steven being so strung out on whatever junk he was on that he couldn't play these songs or rather that he took 9999 takes off Civil War when Slash,  Izzy, Duff and himself had songs done in 2-3 takes maximum as opposed to not having technical ability.  Always on the Run and ALG are pretty standard songs behind the kit. 

10 hours ago, rocco said:

First of all: if this is the wrong Subform, please move this thread :)

I just read an interview with Slash in a 1992 issue of Guitar World (screenshot attached), does anyone know that song "Burnout" he's talking about?

I can't find any "tribute to Les Paul" album from that time period, but I'd love to hear that song, especially because it was intended to be a GN'R song, and it seems to feature a killer lineup of musicians.

Probably the whole project was scrapped anyway, Slash mentions that it was very disorganized.

Slashinterview.png

great to know these things

i had no idea

10 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

And about "Burn Out":

steven should be really fucked up then

but the slash claim that they didnt record it because steven couldnt play is probably bullshit because if that was the case they wouldnt have recorded anything

steven can play this song with closed eyes today

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wow holy crap. I hope that version with Lenny Kravitz and Duff gets released someday, I love ALG and would love to hear the early version of it

there is so much GNR leftovers that we had never heard of

someone should release this stuff someday!