Rate The Spaghetti Incident

I always thought the spaghetti incident got a bad rep because everyone on behind the music and other documentaries were saying "it was a tense record and they were at wits end with each other and it's on he record blah blah blah"...

Its not a bad album. Covers are hard for any band really especially when it's a personal liking for a particular song being covered. 

• Like 1

for the most part, the songs were recorded during the Use Your Illusions sessions. you're right about Izzy's guitar tracks being replaced by Gilby's. the production is indeed pretty different though... TSI has much more of a bare bones dirty rock feel... with way better sounding drums. use your illusion sounds more thin, cold, and metallic in a lot of ways. it's all in the production techniques. you can take two songs recorded at the same time by the same band, hand each song over to a different producer... and depending what they do with it (EQ, effects, mixing, mastering, ect)... they can easily come back sounding like the two songs weren't even recorded in the same decade, let alone the same sessions.

Edited by nevergotochurch

I think that because of the nature of the songs, they wanted them to sound raw and spontaneous, so they chose not to edit them much or "polish" them like they did with UYI songs. I remember Michael Monroe saying somewhere that the vocals on "Ain't It Fun" were recorded live (obviously the recording took place at the time M.M. was there for "Bad Obsession") and that Axl had created an "atmosphere" with candles etc to make the best out of it.

Meh. I'd rate the album a 6/10 at best. I honestly think the band sounded their best on Appetite for Destruction and that performance is only seconded by their sound on the Use Your Illusion albums.

The guitars on The Spaghetti Incident sound a tiny bit more crispier and not so "produced" sounding like the guitars on Use Your Illusion but I'm not going to sit here and act like it's some monumental difference.

Matt Sorum sounds a little more human and less like a programmed machine in his drum performances on this record, but then again I've never been a fan of Sorum.

The songs themselves aren't fantastic but they aren't putrid dog shit either. Since I Don't Have You is an odd choice for an opener of a Punk covers album but I digress.

New Rose is great, Down On the Farm is passable, Human Being is my favorite song on this record, Raw Power is passable, could do without the jangly saloon piano, Ain't It Fun is great, Buick Makane/Big Dumb Sex is a Big Dumb Song, Hair Of The Dog is great, Attitude is great, Black Leather is passable, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory is pretty good, I Don't Care About You/Look At Your Game Girl is right behind Human Being as my favorite song.

All in all this album is a 6/10 at best, this album is in my opinion the weakest of all the albums released by the '86 - 95' incarnation of the band. 

Edited by JimmyPage