If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

22 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I don't mind that Mr.Brownstone at all! Out ta Get Me...not so much :D

Ha! I'm just the opposite on em...

Although I'm giving a thumbs down to them leaving out the "fitha whiskey that you gave me" part... :lol:

Edited by Fitha_whiskey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Ha! I'm just the opposite on em...

Although I'm giving a thumbs down to them leaving out the "fitha whiskey that you gave me" part... :lol:

I know you took that personal :lol: The instrumentals are ok, I don't care too much for the lead singer's voice tho.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

hey country thread!  I finally got through all my assigned listening

I really enjoyed it!  Kinda a blur now, but I definelty went down the rabbit hole with some of the artists.  Will certainly be looping back to see what I really get into in a deep way.

So far Ive learned that as of now the Hank 3 sound hasn't got hold of me yet.  But its cool stuff.  And that some of the ol timey ones with talking sometimes are distracting to me.  But many definitely did hit the spot.  Hard to remember what was suggested and what I found while meandering.  

And I discovered that something I enjoying doing:  Telling jokes at the expense of academic types by appearing dumbed down has a rich tradition in country.  And i love it!   Like where academics might aim to go over someones head, here the aim appears to be to kinda go under the radar with folksy expressions and self-aware satire.  Which is actually much more cleaver imo.  I feel like a kinda playful insider/outsider, class and social access humour is in a lot of this stuff.

What else should I check out?  I should probably catch up on this thread too in the mean time

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soon said:

hey country thread!  I finally got through all my assigned listening

I really enjoyed it!  Kinda a blur now, but I definelty went down the rabbit hole with some of the artists.  Will certainly be looping back to see what I really get into in a deep way.

Very nice. Points for you dog.

11 hours ago, soon said:

So far Ive learned that as of now the Hank 3 sound hasn't got hold of me yet.  But its cool stuff.

Doh! Just lost your points.

11 hours ago, soon said:

And that some of the ol timey ones with talking sometimes are distracting to me.  But many definitely did hit the spot.  Hard to remember what was suggested and what I found while meandering. 

I'm with you so points for that. I've found those really just depend on the artist and song. Some I love, some I can't really listen to.

12 hours ago, soon said:

And I discovered that something I enjoying doing:  Telling jokes at the expense of academic types by appearing dumbed down has a rich tradition in country.  And i love it!   Like where academics might aim to go over someones head, here the aim appears to be to kinda go under the radar with folksy expressions and self-aware satire.  Which is actually much more cleaver imo.  I feel like a kinda playful insider/outsider, class and social access humour is in a lot of this stuff.

Points for that. It's cool that not only did you catch that, but you actually get it. Some good social stuff is going on in a lot of it. Sumtime we ain't as dum as y'all think we is. *spits tobacco juice*

12 hours ago, soon said:

What else should I check out?  I should probably catch up on this thread too in the mean time

Points for wanting more.

Most stuff I'd recommend is in this thread, it's just a real big thread. Old stuff...Hank Sr and Jr, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Charlie Daniels, Johnny Paycheck, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, Emmylou, Patsy Cline, Loretta etc.

Seems like we've been on a modern kick lately. Not radio pop country but good stuff. Chris Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Whiskey Myers, Whitey Morgan, Eric Church (dammit whiskey rose!) Old Crow Medicine Show, The Devil Makes Three, Shooter Jennings etc.

When you get a day/night when you ain't got shit to do but chill and have a drink or a smoke, then check the thread out. Two things I'll give to country music, it really is great music for taking it easy with a drink in your hand, and most of it has down to earth themes that anybody can relate to some of it. Maybe not a lot artsy imagery or deep metaphors, just real shit laid out plain and simple.

• Like 1

@soon i will give you some of my favorites too. George Strait is a MUST...there is a reason he's called the King of Country. Alan Jackson is great. some newer stuff is good despite what some people think ( the so called "experts" here hahaha! ) Blake Shelton. Brooks and Dunn. Miranda Lambert ( her new stuff is kinda meh imo but her older stuff is kick ass! ) Clint Black is great and underrated. you don't have to go all deep cuts to enjoy country...heck it's country music!  some of Hank III is good but if it is not your thing don't sweat it. we each have our OWN preferences. some older stuff like Randy Travis is golden ( Forever and Ever Amen, Hard Rock Bottom and Three Crosses are some of my favorite ones. ) you're a very smart guy, when you hear what YOU like go for it. don't be afraid to express YOURSELF. be true to what you like. if anyone here gives you any grief i will back you up! ;) we each should be allowed to like what we like! and you may even teach us old timers a thing or two, i have faith in you :hug:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

which have been your favorites? you, my friend, are a true Renaissance Man :)

george jones!!!  Cant say it fast enough.  I know about him, err I mean I like it a lot!  :lol:

Just goofing about the story I shared a while back when I got these suggestions, but I actually did really enjoy him.  Waylon too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

george jones!!!  Cant say it fast enough.  I know about him, err I mean I like it a lot!  :lol:

Just goofing about the story I shared a while back when I got these suggestions, but I actually did really enjoy him.  Waylon too!

great choices! :D

here's a little Possum for ya!

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

Very nice. Points for you dog.

Doh! Just lost your points.

I'm with you so points for that. I've found those really just depend on the artist and song. Some I love, some I can't really listen to.

Points for that. It's cool that not only did you catch that, but you actually get it. Some good social stuff is going on in a lot of it. Sumtime we ain't as dum as y'all think we is. *spits tobacco juice*

Points for wanting more.

Most stuff I'd recommend is in this thread, it's just a real big thread. Old stuff...Hank Sr and Jr, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Charlie Daniels, Johnny Paycheck, Conway Twitty, Alan Jackson, Emmylou, Patsy Cline, Loretta etc.

Seems like we've been on a modern kick lately. Not radio pop country but good stuff. Chris Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Whiskey Myers, Whitey Morgan, Eric Church (dammit whiskey rose!) Old Crow Medicine Show, The Devil Makes Three, Shooter Jennings etc.

When you get a day/night when you ain't got shit to do but chill and have a drink or a smoke, then check the thread out. Two things I'll give to country music, it really is great music for taking it easy with a drink in your hand, and most of it has down to earth themes that anybody can relate to some of it. Maybe not a lot artsy imagery or deep metaphors, just real shit laid out plain and simple.

So all tallied up, I think i did okay

I could actually see me getting into Hank III once I have more of a foundation in the traditional stuff.  But not where my heads at currently.

I certainly never thought poorly of Southerners, in fact the food and parts of the culture that Ive been exposed to appeal to me a lot.  But yeah, fair enough, haha!  The stinging commentary and wit is so well crafted.  And it makes it feel more humane, like people or thoughts can really get a stern dressing down but feel gentler due to the idioms sometimes too.  I think its really cool.

Thanks for more suggestions!  I should just sit bak with this thread for sure

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

great choices! :D

here's a little Possum for ya!

very cool!  Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

@soon i will give you some of my favorites too. George Strait is a MUST...there is a reason he's called the King of Country. Alan Jackson is great. some newer stuff is good despite what some people think ( the so called "experts" here hahaha! ) Blake Shelton. Brooks and Dunn. Miranda Lambert ( her new stuff is kinda meh imo but her older stuff is kick ass! ) Clint Black is great and underrated. you don't have to go all deep cuts to enjoy country...heck it's country music!  some of Hank III is good but if it is not your thing don't sweat it. we each have our OWN preferences. some older stuff like Randy Travis is golden ( Forever and Ever Amen, Hard Rock Bottom and Three Crosses are some of my favorite ones. ) you're a very smart guy, when you hear what YOU like go for it. don't be afraid to express YOURSELF. be true to what you like. if anyone here gives you any grief i will back you up! ;) we each should be allowed to like what we like! and you may even teach us old timers a thing or two, i have faith in you :hug:

Who here has ever claimed to be an so called "expert"? And who gives people grief over their posts? I call bullshit on both comments. I'm in this thread a lot and have never seen either. In fact I'd say this is one of the more open minded, laid back threads in my world. I don't think I've ever seen a disagreement in here.

• Like 2