The final numbers are in - and they are highly inconsistent...

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

90 mil being generous? you're still 10 mil short. 10 mil is a lot. especially in modern times where rock albums don't really sell at all.

It's interesting how you combined them and only got 10mil. I also forgot TSI. Would it be like 10,5mil altogether now?

10 minutes ago, Epson said:

It's interesting how you combined them and only got 10mil. I also forgot TSI. Would it be like 10,5mil altogether now?

It's interesting how TSI failed to sell more than 500k when Gn'R was still huge. 92 mil being generous? I'm being so generous here when in reality my guess is way less than that. But honestly, TSI is not a huge seller. I don't think it sold an additional 10 mil copies.

Edit: also... Live Era? Greatest Hits? how many copies do you think all of that shit actually sold combined? 10 mil? more? serious question.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

It's interesting how TSI failed to sell more than 500k when Gn'R was still huge. 92 mil being generous? I'm being so generous here when in reality my guess is way less than that. But honestly, TSI is not a huge seller. I don't think it sold an additional 10 mil copies.

Edit: also... Live Era? Greatest Hits? how many copies do you think all of that shit actually sold combined? 10 mil? more? serious question.

TSI? sold one million in the U.S. alone. Wiki states GN'R  sold 100 million  ww.

Just now, RichardNixon said:

TSI? sold one million in the U.S. alone. Wiki states GN'R  sold 100 million  ww.

Wiki states. Case closed. And yeah, TSI probably did sell 1 mill. I said it sold half a mil when it was released. (when Gn'R was huge)

I still stand behind my original statement: no way in hell Gn'R sold 100 mil imo.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Video interview where Duff clearly questioned it being true. Fairly recent one too. Your limited Gn'R knowledge is not relevant. I never said I had evidence it didn't sell 100 mil. Just that I question it being true. How many times must I repeat myself until you get it?

I don't believe Gn'R sold 100 mil. Appetite is rumored to have sold 30 mil. about that number. Even if UYI sold 40 mil combined, and Lies sold 5 mil, Chinese 5 (lol) it would still be 80 mil. And that is being generous.

But I don't have any real numbers. What evidence do you have to support your theory? that others believe that as well? do me a fuckin' favor.

Post the video, I wouldn't be surprised if the video in question would involve some journalist saying 'you have this many records sold and duff saying really, I didn't think it was that many?' so you've jumped to the conclusion that everything we've heard before that was inaccurate. BUT I haven't seen the video so I'll pass that judgement at a later date.

The evidence I have read in the past is exactly what you question so what would be the point? you simply don't believe that the numbers are legitimate so even if I did go to the trouble of researching everything because of your limited GnR knowledge, you wouldn't believe it. Every press release or write up always say they have 100 million sales. I have no proof to suggest that, that isn't true... and I do realise that marketing teams and industry types can and will obscure the details if it means they can earn more money down the line... I just don't think anyone is going to buy a more expensive GnR product, concert ticket or anything because it's reported that they have 100 million album sales. So I ask, what is the point in releasing completely inaccurate figures. I can imagine them rounding the figures up from 85 to 100 a it has a better ring but I highly doubt anyones rounding up from 60 million records or less like you would seemingly suggest.

Look, maybe they have only sold 80 million, but maybe it's 100 million, maybe it's more! 

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Post the video, I wouldn't be surprised if the video in question would involve some journalist saying 'you have this many records sold and duff saying really, I didn't think it was that many?' so you've jumped to the conclusion that everything we've heard before that was inaccurate. BUT I haven't seen the video so I'll pass that judgement at a later date.

The evidence I have read in the past is exactly what you question so what would be the point? you simply don't believe that the numbers are legitimate so even if I did go to the trouble of researching everything because of your limited GnR knowledge, you wouldn't believe it. Every press release or write up always say they have 100 million sales. I have no proof to suggest that, that isn't true... and I do realise that marketing teams and industry types can and will obscure the details if it means they can earn more money down the line... I just don't think anyone is going to buy a more expensive GnR product, concert ticket or anything because it's reported that they have 100 million album sales. So I ask, what is the point in releasing completely inaccurate figures. I can imagine them rounding the figures up from 85 to 100 a it has a better ring but I highly doubt anyones rounding up from 60 million records or less like you would seemingly suggest.

Look, maybe they have only sold 80 million, but maybe it's 100 million, maybe it's more! 

Maybe you have no idea how many albums they've actually sold and maybe you'll finally understand that I'm doubtful about them selling 100 mil when no one can prove it. I can see how they could have sold 80 mil copies. Not 100 mil. The difference is substantial here.

I don't know how many they've sold. I just can't believe this figure is real and no one can prove they in fact sold 100 mil. That Duff interview is very real though. I'll see if I can find it, it's on youtube for sure.

But because you don't see the point in releasing completely inaccurate figures, doesn't mean someone just didn't pull that shit out of their ass. Duff said something like: "you sure? raising an eyebrow "not sure about that". But it was like 1 or 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Maybe you have no idea how many albums they've actually sold and maybe you'll finally understand that I'm doubtful about them selling 100 mil when no one can prove it. I can see how they could have sold 80 mil copies. Not 100 mil. The difference is substantial here.

I don't know how many they've sold. I just can't believe this figure is real and no one can prove they in fact sold 100 mil. That Duff interview is very real though. I'll see if I can find it, it's on youtube for sure.

But because you don't see the point in releasing completely inaccurate figures, doesn't mean someone just didn't pull that shit out of their ass. Duff said something like: "you sure? raising an eyebrow "not sure about that". But it was like 1 or 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

There are means to find out how many copies of each album have been sold, as well as how many digital downloads. Then you ask are they counting Singles as albums?

Maybe you're not accounting for this, but I have 2 maybe three copies of AFD, because the old copies got destroyed. Some people bought those records on cassette and then had to buy them again on cd. When you think about it that way, instead of if each person buys one copy, then it's more believable to arrive at a figure like 80+ million. 

I don't have the figures, so I can't argue it as fact. So we can agree to agree that neither of us really have a clue :)

13 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There are means to find out how many copies of each album have been sold, as well as how many digital downloads. Then you ask are they counting Singles as albums?

Maybe you're not accounting for this, but I have 2 maybe three copies of AFD, because the old copies got destroyed. Some people bought those records on cassette and then had to buy them again on cd. When you think about it that way, instead of if each person buys one copy, then it's more believable to arrive at a figure like 80+ million. 

I don't have the figures, so I can't argue it as fact. So we can agree to agree that neither of us really have a clue :)

But that is precisely how I've started this conversation: I never claimed to know, just expressed doubt. It is my belief that there is no way in hell Gn'R sold 100 mil copies. Copies destroyed and all. Get that. Just like you believe, with no proof I might add, that they did.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

But that is precisely how I've started this conversation: I never claimed to know, just expressed doubt. It is my belief that there is no way in hell Gn'R sold 100 mil copies. Copies destroyed and all. Get that.

...well I tried:hahafyou:

Guns N' Roses not iconic?  lmao

Just when I think I can't read more ridiculous shit on this forum I am proven wrong.

GNR were at over 90 million sold like 12 years ago. You don't think they have sold 10 million records since then?  

Geffen Records released a statement in the early 2000's stating that GNR had sold over 80 million records. This was a few years before the release of "Greatest Hits".

Appettite

lies

illusion 1

illusion 2

spaghetti 

GNR live era 

Greatest Hits

They have sold 100 million by now. I don't understand why some people think that can't be possible. This band was fucking huge, and continues to gain new fans every day. Do you guys think that the November Rain video on YouTube is only watched by GNR fan forum members?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No, I meant to find common ground; not for us to agree that either one of us was in fact correct ;)

'tis all good though, I forgive you:)

Yeah I know, failed miserably. No common ground. I think you just tried to pass it off like we both don't know shit and that was somehow news to me when in fact that is how I've started the conversation. But it somehow was weird that I was unwilling to accept a guess a lot of people agree with as if it was good enough to accept as anything else than just a guess. (100 mil sold) basically, you saving face. Lame imo.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

Wiki states. Case closed. And yeah, TSI probably did sell 1 mill. I said it sold half a mil when it was released. (when Gn'R was huge)

I still stand behind my original statement: no way in hell Gn'R sold 100 mil imo.

1/26/94, platinum.  http://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab_active=default-award&ar=GUNS+N%27+ROSES&ti=THE+SPAGHETTI+INCIDENT%3F

Just now, RichardNixon said:

Facepalm what? That's objective evidence, solid proof that TSI? sold a million copies at the time of its release. You are as bad as Trump supporters  who insist he didn't lose the popular  vote.

Man... and you didn't even read all of my posts in this thread! go back a little, you can see I have specifically stated it's very possible it sold 1 mil cause I said it sold 500k when it just came out, when Guns was huge.

This doesn't prove the ridiculous statement (imo) that Gn'R have sold 100 mil albums. Facepalms all around.

14 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

Facepalm what? That's objective evidence, solid proof that TSI? sold a million copies at the time of its release. You are as bad as Trump supporters  who insist he didn't lose the popular  vote.

He won the electoral college. That is all that matters. The U.S is a Republic, not a pure democracy. No mob rule here.  He won the popular vote of the individual states he needed to win. 

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

I read once that GH sold 13 million copies. Not sure where to get reliable numbers on sales. 

It's fine. You don't have to get reliable numbers. Most agree that overall, Gn'R has sold 100 million copies. (except Duff but he's just the drummer) if you think GH sold 13 million copies and you know at least 2 people that agree with you, it's confirmed to be true.

Edited by Rovim

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's fine. You don't have to get reliable numbers. Most agree that overall, Gn'R has sold 100 million copies. (except Duff but he's just the drummer) if you think GH sold 13 million copies and you know at least 2 people that agree with you, it's confirmed to be true.

I guess it sold more like 1 mil? Did it sell more than CD? 

I think the 100 mil tag comes from articles rounding things up. I read a piece about GNR selling the same as Zepp by 94. More or less probably. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I guess it sold more like 1 mil? Did it sell more than CD? 

I think the 100 mil tag comes from articles rounding things up. I read a piece about GNR selling the same as Zepp by 94. More or less probably. 

GH sold 4.26 million in the U.S. by 2008.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-certified-for-18-million-u-s-sales/

(unless you have something against Blabbermouth citing Nielsen SoundScan as a source, then I can't help you)

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Yeah I know, failed miserably. No common ground. I think you just tried to pass it off like we both don't know shit and that was somehow news to me when in fact that is how I've started the conversation. But it somehow was weird that I was unwilling to accept a guess a lot of people agree with as if it was good enough to accept as anything else than just a guess. (100 mil sold) basically, you saving face. Lame imo.

Well, I wouldn't agree with your assessment, but then again! I didn't agree with any of the other nonsense you were spouting, I'm just a little less into arguing about trivial nonsense :D Good luck with your alternative reality!

• Like 1