Use your Illusion: Izzy Stradlin's Contributions

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Funny, I feel the same way about your posts, because even apart from the bad grammar, you make no sense to me.

The point that I make in every post addressing you, is that you make comments on here relating to band stuff that you can't possibly know just by reading articles. I've typed this three times now. If you fail to understand my point then I can't help you, dude.

Have a nice day.

ok mr. oxford english 

i guess its impossible to have intelligent conjecture based on character traits and songwriting facts 

take me to preschool please 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ok mr. oxford english 

i guess its impossible to have intelligent conjecture based on character traits and songwriting facts 

take me to preschool please 

What I called you out on weren't facts at all. Again you're missing the point. This is getting too boring and repetitive now so I'll leave it at this. Bye.

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What I called you out on weren't facts at all. Again you're missing the point. This is getting too boring and repetitive now so I'll leave it at this. Bye.

boring indeed... YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT is that because someone wasn't there they don't know shit and that in itself is very dead end boring good job trying to ruin a good topic 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

boring indeed... YOUR ENTIRE ARGUMENT is that because someone wasn't there they don't know shit and that in itself is very dead end boring good job trying to ruin a good topic 

Honestly, I don't know you had the patience to carry on a discussion with this person.

All I had to do was read his fan boy post a a couple pages ago.

Once someone begins throwing out pejoratives like fan boy (which is a childish slander term in of itself) I know the person has nothing worthwhile to say.

You on the other hand are a great poster

This excerpt from an article/review from June 1991, which includes an interview with Izzy, shows how fed up and distanced Izzy was from the band during the production and mixing stages of the Illusions; he wasn't even in the mood to listen to the tapes they were sending him (this also explains why he hadn't heard My World before the release of the albums). There is also some insight on the making of 14 years and on how Izzy felt about Coma:

The recording of Use Your Illusion finally got under way in July last year, with Appetite For Destruction producer Mike Clink nominally back at the helm. First, Sorum and McKagan laid down their rhythm tracks, followed by the guitarists and sometimes keyboardist Dizzy Reed making their contributions. Then Rose moved in pretty much by himself, Exercycle and bed in tow. After that, a lot of time was wasted while Bob Clearmountain failed to satisfactorily mix 24 of the songs, until Slash came up with Bill Price, the engineer for Never Mind The Bollocks as a viable alternative.

Then, after blowing out the original May release date, the group - or more likely Axl - decided to add three new songs to the collection. Stradlin informs me of the history of one of them, after which I don't have the heart to ask about the other two: "Well, one's this song called '14 Years'. Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called '14 Years' too, which is a really bizarre coincidence," he laughs. "So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.

"These albums are just so far from me now. Before, when we had it down on tape, it was done. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even ask when they're coming out 'cos every time I ask it's a different date. God, it is just such a fuckin' blur. Trying to pin it down is just hard, man."

To refresh his memory, Goldstein has lent him the only copy of a cassette tape featuring "everything" from the two forth-coming releases. He busies himself inserting the tape into a nearby machine. "Three months ago, I heard some stuff they were mixing," he mutters. "It sounded pretty cool. Other than that, I'm just not up on it at all. They're still mixing - is all I know." [...]

Stradlin starts winding the tape forward in search of a song he can't stop laughing about. "Slash has this song, it's called 'Coma', and it's fuckin' 15 minutes long. And I still don't know it, man. I have to take a special chord chart with me whenever we play it. There's like 50 chords at the end of it and I just can't follow them."

Next comes a new version of 'Civil War', which the group donated to the Romanian orphans' foundation last year. Stradlin doesn't even recognize it.
Instead he starts forwarding the tape again, past snatches of 'Live and Let Die', a bludgeoning funk-metal workout entitled 'Locomotive' and yet another new version of 'Knocking On Heaven's Door'. Then he stops the tape.
 "There are like 20-30 songs - I saw the list last week, had the piece of paper inside my pocket, but then I lost it. These albums are so far from me now. I mean, the life of these songs for me is in playing 'em every night live. Otherwise, they're just product that's going to be marketed."

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/vox91.htm

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This excerpt from an article/review from June 1991, which includes an interview with Izzy, shows how fed up and distanced Izzy was from the band during the production and mixing stages of the Illusions; he wasn't even in the mood to listen to the tapes they were sending him (this also explains why he hadn't heard My World before the release of the albums). There is also some insight on the making of 14 years and on how Izzy felt about Coma:

The recording of Use Your Illusion finally got under way in July last year, with Appetite For Destruction producer Mike Clink nominally back at the helm. First, Sorum and McKagan laid down their rhythm tracks, followed by the guitarists and sometimes keyboardist Dizzy Reed making their contributions. Then Rose moved in pretty much by himself, Exercycle and bed in tow. After that, a lot of time was wasted while Bob Clearmountain failed to satisfactorily mix 24 of the songs, until Slash came up with Bill Price, the engineer for Never Mind The Bollocks as a viable alternative.

Then, after blowing out the original May release date, the group - or more likely Axl - decided to add three new songs to the collection. Stradlin informs me of the history of one of them, after which I don't have the heart to ask about the other two: "Well, one's this song called '14 Years'. Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called '14 Years' too, which is a really bizarre coincidence," he laughs. "So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.

"These albums are just so far from me now. Before, when we had it down on tape, it was done. It's gotten to the point now where I don't even ask when they're coming out 'cos every time I ask it's a different date. God, it is just such a fuckin' blur. Trying to pin it down is just hard, man."

To refresh his memory, Goldstein has lent him the only copy of a cassette tape featuring "everything" from the two forth-coming releases. He busies himself inserting the tape into a nearby machine. "Three months ago, I heard some stuff they were mixing," he mutters. "It sounded pretty cool. Other than that, I'm just not up on it at all. They're still mixing - is all I know." [...]

Stradlin starts winding the tape forward in search of a song he can't stop laughing about. "Slash has this song, it's called 'Coma', and it's fuckin' 15 minutes long. And I still don't know it, man. I have to take a special chord chart with me whenever we play it. There's like 50 chords at the end of it and I just can't follow them."

Next comes a new version of 'Civil War', which the group donated to the Romanian orphans' foundation last year. Stradlin doesn't even recognize it.
Instead he starts forwarding the tape again, past snatches of 'Live and Let Die', a bludgeoning funk-metal workout entitled 'Locomotive' and yet another new version of 'Knocking On Heaven's Door'. Then he stops the tape.
 "There are like 20-30 songs - I saw the list last week, had the piece of paper inside my pocket, but then I lost it. These albums are so far from me now. I mean, the life of these songs for me is in playing 'em every night live. Otherwise, they're just product that's going to be marketed."

great find here, coma part is kinda funny and the 14 years coincidence with axl is yes UNCANNY like I said previously HA

4 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Yes, that's why I refuse to believe that him not being on the tour is only about the money. This in particular broke my heart:

Izzy never bothered Axl again, and Izzy never worked on the new album again either

That's sad indeed. I find it crazy when I see some people feel Izzy abandoned Axl and the band, he was so pushed out of the band :(

51 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Always found that part about Coma to be hilarious, although I personally love the song. But again, it's so sad to see how he felt those albums were far from him even when he wrote/co-wrote a big part of them. Things got shitty so fast after they become successful, the tight family just disappeared and so did the fun.

3 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Yes, that's why I refuse to believe that him not being on the tour is only about the money. This in particular broke my heart:

That Izzy quote is great. The whole UYI period is full of mystery and chaos. I guess by the time the band got their shit together, Izzy had already checked out and wasn't bothered with coming back and re-doing his work years after the fact. Some of his songs were turned in nearly 2 years before they were even worked on for UYI. 

• Like 1

The Izzy quote though in the excerpt from the book "Watch You Bleed: The Saga Of Guns N' Roses", posted by @Darkenchantress, was referring to a time prior to Axl living in the studio, i.e. when the rest of the band were recording their parts. Axl moved into the studio (around the end of 1990) after Izzy, Duff, Dizzy and Matt had finished their parts, then Slash finished his and Axl stayed back to do the vocals, synths, production and supervising of the mixing. The author of the book arbitrarily combined two different time frames into one, to conclude with the part in bold which is inaccurate, as Izzy worked with Axl on 14 years according to what he said in the interview I posted above.

5 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

"Since his run-in with his neighbor a few months earlier, Axl had been living in various hotels, often the Sunset Marquis, and his new house in Malibu. After the Rio shows, he basically moved into the Record Plant, where he was recording his vocal tracks. Photographer Neal Preston found him living in Studio A, which Axl had equipped with a bed and an exercise bike. "There was also a punching bag," Preston recalls, "and two pinball machines- KISS and Elton John. No one was supposed to be allowed in while Axl was there, but he let me take some photos of him playing pinball. He seemed calm and said he was working hard on their new album." Studio personnel noted that Axl was staying awake for two or three days at a time, seeming to run on sheer adrenaline and nervous energy. Izzy Stradlin, perceived by everyone as the only stable member of the band, was prodded to ask Axl about finishing. "I tried talking to him," Izzy said later. "[I suggested] if we had a schedule, came in [to the studio] at a certain time... And he completely blew up at me."

"There is no fucking schedule," Axl snarled. Izzy never bothered Axl again, and Izzy never worked on the new album again either."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

wasn't don't cry the first ever gnr song written? was this entirely written by izzy as you could say NR was kinda entirely written by axl around the same time? 

•  

Don't Cry was co-written by Izzy and Axl. It was the first GnR song ever recorded (on demo), but not the first ever written if we count the older songs from the Hollywood Rose days (Anything Goes, Move To The City etc) and other songs Axl had before the formation of GnR (Back Of Bitch and also Dead Horse according to Slash's book).

11 hours ago, magnumpi said:

Honestly, I don't know you had the patience to carry on a discussion with this person.

All I had to do was read his fan boy post a a couple pages ago.

Once someone begins throwing out pejoratives like fan boy (which is a childish slander term in of itself) I know the person has nothing worthwhile to say.

You on the other hand are a great poster

That fanboy comment did it, huh? I'd even forgotten I made that comment, that was days ago... that's how unimportant this is to me. But good to know you didn't forget. I guess one of the perks of being a fanboy. Seriously, it's like dealing with 12 year olds in here. Fanboy is just a term for someone who is too fanatic and isn't objective in my book, if you judge someone on using a term like that and ignore the context, then that says a lot about you.

Truth is that I'm the only one in this discussion who is realistic enough to admit that the fans can't know everything and I'm not throwing around so-called facts I can't know about. I'm not that arrogant, at least I'm modest. But yeah, you wouldn't get that because you can't look past the term fanboy. Good luck with that.

Edited by EvanG

18 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

To be fair, I don't think Izzy not being audible on the UYI's is exactly only his fault or had nothing to do with being lazy. I think it was more a matter of not being happy with what they were doing anymore and having to put up with his still wasted friends while he was newly clean and sober (that and Axl being Axl). He went to the studio, recorded his parts and left, so Slash said later he had to double his guitar to play some of Izzy's part. 

I'm not talking about him not being audible. His guitar parts weren't developed at all. He basically just strums the chords and nothing more than that. It's either lazy or he didn't give a shit. 

ok since the other izzy thread got lambasted by several posters that should've been disciplined i will say it here, thx izzy as well for doing the shout out... i believe this article was the catalyst in making you publish the shout out 

it's too bad that 'real' people with a set agenda were trying to downsize the entire experience 

hoepfully we see you and some of your use illusion songs and other gems come to life again live with gnr 

1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ok since the other izzy thread got lambasted by several posters that should've been disciplined i will say it here, thx izzy as well for doing the shout out... i believe this article was the catalyst in making you publish the shout out 

it's too bad that 'real' people with a set agenda were trying to downsize the entire experience 

hoepfully we see you and some of your use illusion songs and other gems come to life again live with gnr 

Yeah let's discipline people for having different opinions. Nice one, dude.

1 minute ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Yeah let's discipline people for having different opinions. Nice one, dude.

buddy all you do is be a contraraian on the subeject and look to derail insightful discussion so beat it, you don't know what your talking about and you really seem like you're being entirely annoying on purpose  

• Like 1

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

buddy all you do is be a contraraian on the subeject and look to derail insightful discussion so beat it, you don't know what your talking about and you really seem like you're being entirely annoying 

I know exactly what I'm talking about, but feel free to correct me on something I posted that you think was factually incorrect. I love productive discussion and won't call you names for disagreeing with me or insist you be disciplined.

2 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I know exactly what I'm talking about, but feel free to correct me on something I posted that you think was factually incorrect. I love productive discussion and won't call you names for disagreeing with me or insist you be disciplined.

who are you? lets hear that im really curious now 

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

no i'll just say that you are the biggest troll at the moment regarding this subject and let everyone else come to their own conclusions 

Well, again, just because I have a different opinion to you doesn't make me a troll. Many people here have enjoyed my posts too. You are again now name calling and throwing pejoratives at me, why? I don't understand why you think that is a valid way to defend a position.

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Guys this particular user's main objective is to get threads locked i suggest not interacting with him at all 

Right, you're just making things up now. Have a good day and try not not paint everyone who disagrees with you as a troll, it's pathetic.

Edited by MADDOGJONES