Vintage: Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? + Izzy Quotes

Just now, Archtop said:

Obviously part of the reason that Izzy left might have been the fact that he and Axl didn't get along towards the end... but that's just part of it. I mean... about the Ju Ju Hounds... I have a friend who was the guitarist for that band back in the early 90s and he was always complaining about how Izzy would just not show up for shows. [I comment that Izzy is turning into Axl... which puts a frown on Dizzy's face]

I idon't get this Dizzy comment, is Dizzy saying his friends with Rick Richards, or was there another guitarist befor Rick?

dizzy must've gotten confused about whose songs he plays every night and how much he owes izzy stradlin for the career and life he lives.  rick and izzy are obviously cool with each other, rick plays on so much of izzy's recent shit, including "baby rann" a true fucking classic that i would kill to hear gnr cover.  axl singing it in his low "it's so easy" voice.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Makes ya wonder if Izzy even voted Dizzy into the band

Doubtful but he was real supportive of Dizzy while Duff and Slash were ignoring him early on. There's a 1991 interview of Izzy from the UYI tour where he briefly talks about asking Dizzy if things were cool and if he had what he needed, etc iirc. Izzy was a cool cat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Doubtful but he was real supportive of Dizzy while Duff and Slash were ignoring him early on. There's a 1991 interview of Izzy from the UYI tour where he briefly talks about asking Dizzy if things were cool and if he had what he needed, etc iirc. Izzy was a cool cat.

Yeah the Kurt Loder/MTV interview from Rio '91 right??

14 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Yeah the Kurt Loder/MTV interview from Rio '91 right??

Yeah, I think that was the one. @Blackstar - do you remember reading that interview?

Dizzy's comments come off that much more douchier in retrospect.

Edited by RONIN

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah, I think that was the one. @Blackstar - do you remember reading that interview?

Dizzy's comments come off that much more douchier in retrospect.

Yeah, it was The Vox 1991 article-interview (not RIR):

"…Another thing Axl had been working on. One day Dizzy came down to our rehearsal. He must have had a terrible time, 'cos everyone ignored him for two weeks. I tried to be friendly. I'd say: 'Hey man, how's it going? I don't know what we're doing either! We've just been in this studio for the last two years and we're supposed to be making a record or something. By the way, do you have a keyboard?' - 'cos the guy didn't even own a fuckin' instrument. After a few weeks I said to him: 'Hey man, seeing as we're Guns N' Roses, maybe someone can lend you a keyboard or we can get you an endorsement or something'. In fact, the guy's turned out to be a really cool addition."

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/vox91.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

Well Izzy and Dizzy both had two completely different perspectives as to what was going on. Izzy had enough, and from his side of the fence, he was in the right. Dizzy had literally just went from scratching his ass for money, to living that first class lifestyle.

Idk.. I just don't see the point getting wound up over what Dizzy said about a lineup that no longer exists. He was just trying to sell the nu-guns, he probably could have put it better and said "no disrespect to the old lineup but, this is the best band I've ever been in". I mean, it's the right thing to do. That was the Guns N Roses lineup that they were trying to sell, and the fans can buy it or leave it.

To me it's justifying that the new girlfriend is better than the old one, even though your friends and family still prefer the old girlfriend and see it differently than you want to because, the old girlfriend is gone. She's not coming back, and how much control can you really have over that?

I guess you make a good point, if you consider Dizzy's words about nu-guns being a sales pitch. I don't think I'm wound up about his words. I just found them amusing.For me it's the situation of somebody  riding on the legacy/popularity/brand/name that somebody else has build (even if one of the builders is still on board). I guess in Axl's defense he has kept the Guns n' Roses name alive during these years and introduced their music to new audiences.

I think Guns n' Roses has never been just about one person, like many people seem to  think that John Fogerty = CCR.

Guns are now touring the world and selling lots of tickets. I'm going to see them too in July (even if my favorite member of the band won't be there :().  Are they selling lots of tickets because of parts of the " old girlfriend" ( Slash/Duff)are back? Or are people dying to see Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer? Are majority of the people going to these concerts because they want to hear Welcome to the jungle and Paradise City or songs from CD?  Don't get me wrong. I think it's good that Axl has made new material. But it just doesn't live up to what he has written with his old band mates. IMHO.

Edited by Fourteenbeers
---