Question about soundboard

Just now, gunners fan said:

do phones capture that high quality?

No, soundboards inherently come straight from the feed that the person uses at the soundboard that is then heard over the PA system - so you will get the direct mix from all the microphones and instruments.  

9 minutes ago, gunners fan said:

so why can i sometimes here dizzy on piano ....listen to this?

i dont get it....

so....whats the difference between holding my phone in the air and a soundboard quality

im a big springsteen fan....can never get my head wrapped around this

You can hear Dizzy because it is a good phone recording, but soundboard recordings are never made from phones or tape recorders.  

I will try to break it down to just basics.  Have you ever seen a big computer setup looking thingy in the middle of the audience in shows?  That is a soundboard, and the microphones and instruments all have feeds that get sent to it.  The person then mixes each individual feed during the show so that everything that goes through the PA is balanced and sounds good.  A soundboard recording is a recording of each individual feed being mixed by the soundboard person.

I am a musician but I am no expert on the technical side of things of running live sound so that is just my own basic explanation of that lol hope that helps

Edited by WhazUp
  • Thanks 1

Soundboard: A cable from the mixing desk is plugged into the recording device, so you don't get noise and things like that

Anything else isn't soundboard, it's audience recording

Let's try this way

When you buy a dvd, the audio track is "soundboard", but when you download the same fil that has been pirated by a guy using his phone to record the audio on the cinema, then it's not soundboard.

• Like 1