The MYGNRFORUM Make a Connection Song Challenge

BlueJean Baby

On 24/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, BlueJean Baby said:

Two days left in this challenge....still no new challenge ideas from anyone. 😣

So do you want to do another one like this with new songs?

I don't mind doing another one like this.

I've got an idea, but it could be difficult. I've thought of a geographical music challenge, something similar to what we did with the years, but this time with bands'/artists' places of origin. It could be cities, states, countries or regions, depending on the options. For example:

- For the US:  A band/artist from New York, same from L.A., San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Michigan, rest of North East, North West (Seattle, Oregon), southern states, Midwest...

- UK: London region, rest of Southern England, Manchester area, rest of North West England, North East England, Central England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales...

- Ireland

- Oceania (we can discuss if we devide it in countries/regions/cities)

- Canada (same as above)

- Scandinavia

- Germany

- Rest of Europe

- Latin America

- Other place of our choice

To make it easier and more flexible, in case of bands it could be either the band's place of origin or a member's birthplace. For example, for GnR it could be either L.A. or Indiana,/Seattle/London/Cleveland, for AC/DC either Australia or Scotland/Northern England.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I like the idea @Blackstar has. So if no one opposes, we will do that one, I will work on it later tonight and start the new thread. 😆

Merry Christmas 🎄

Great :) I edited my post and made some improvements, but maybe @janrichmondand @MillionsOfSpiderscould give their input on the UK locations, and also @soonfor Canada and @Oldest Goatfor Oceania.

Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@BlueJean Baby @Blackstar  My thinking is Canada would suit a regional approach.  I did that except for Ontario and Quebec which are both Provinces but have lots of popular music and are distinct in culture and language.  In parentheses I list the Provinces, Territories and Lands in those Regions and then I offer some cities that tend to produce lots of musical acts, to get the ball rolling.  Maybe its too lengthy with too much info?  Maybe merge Ontario and Quebec and call it "Central Canada?"   Could also merge Rocky Mountains and Prairies if desired and call it "Western Canada?"  We can change, reduce, start over, etc to suit our wants and needs:

Canada / Turtle Island

Rocky Mountains (Un-ceded Coast Salish territory / British Columbia/ Alberta. Cities like Vancouver and Calgary)

Prairies (Saskatchewan/ Manitoba. Cities like Winnipeg)

Ontario (Cities like Toronto, Hamilton, Kingston, Ottawa/ Un-ceded Algonquin territory, London)

Quebec (Cities like Montreal, Sherbrooke)

East Coast Canada (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador. Cities like Miramichi, Charlottesville, St John, St Johns, Halifax) 

Northern Canada (Yukon, North West Territories, Nunavut, settlements of the Inuit People, northern parts of Ontario and Quebec.  Cities like Yellow Knife, Whitehorse, Thunder Bay and Sudbury)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Not like any old place but where musicians have been born? Would be be less complicated to just count NZ as one lol.

Not just born, where bands originated too. What about the other Oceania regions? Should it be split up? Maybe into regions for Australia, but what about the other places?

39 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

1. NZ.
2. Aussie.
3. Antarctica.

:lol:

Plus any other island countries like Fiji, I guess.

I guess the other island countries (and Antarctica :lol:) can be covered by "other" 

You think it would be too much if we divided Aussie? :lol:

Like this for example?

-  Sydney and rest of New South Wales

- Melbourne and rest of Victoria

- Brisbane and rest of Queensland

- Perth and rest of West Australia

- Adelaide and rest of Southh Australia, North Australia

------

@solstarwhat do you think about Latin America?

@Blackstar how about dividing Latin America into two different regions: 1. Mexico, Central America and The Caribbean & 2. South America?

A bigger division could be way more challenging, especially since I don't think many Latin American artists have got to the English speaking market, but if you guys are up for it, it could be sth like this:

1. Mexico

2. Central America and the Caribbean

3. Colombia (+ neighbour countries)

4. Brazil (+ neighbour countries)

5. Argentina (+ neighbour countries)

Edited by solstar
  • Like 1

For the US, I am thinking the larger populated states alone, then grouping smaller ones into regions.  Like New York and Massachusetts alone then the rest of New England states together (Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island and Maine) for example. The Carolinas, north and south. Georgia and Florida alone, but Gulf Coast States (Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana)....etc....

Not sure what to do with the Middle East...Saudi, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, etc....maybe just as group?  I really do not know much about music from that area. 

• Like 1

If we make it more challenging (I'm up for a bigger Latin America division @solstar), I think we should also divide Europe more: France, Italy, Spain-Portugal and the Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium) separately, then maybe central Europe and Eastern Europe.

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

For the US, I am thinking the larger populated states alone, then grouping smaller ones into regions.  Like New York and Massachusetts alone then the rest of New England states together (Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island and Maine) for example. The Carolinas, north and south. Georgia and Florida alone, but Gulf Coast States (Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana)....etc....

Not sure what to do with the Middle East...Saudi, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, etc....maybe just as group?  I really do not know much about music from that area. 

I think the Middle East can be one group. Have you also thought of India, Upper East, Africa?

Edited by Blackstar

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If we make it more challenging (I'm in for that), I think we should also divide Europe more: France, Italy, Spain-Portugal and the Low Countries (Netherlands, Belgium) separately, then maybe central Europe and Eastern Europe.

I think the Middle East can be one group. Have you also thought of India, Upper East, Africa?

Yeah, not sure about Africa....

And China, Japan and then other Asian countries?

14 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Yeah, not sure about Africa....

And China, Japan and then other Asian countries?

If we include the Middle East, I think we should include Africa too, and also India-neighbouring countries, Japan-Korea, China-Southeastern Asia - or maybe Southeastern Asia in a group with Indonesia and Oceanian island countries other than Australia and New Zealand. Then we could have the other Asian countries as "Asia-other"

Also Russia, although part of it is eastern Europe, maybe it should be separate.

Have to grocery shop this morning, but will start working on it and get it done by tonight 😆 and will open the new thread.

Should we mix them up or keep them in order? (Example all US , then on to Canada....or mix things up US one day then another continent the next?)

Need to break out a world map for this one :P

Edited by BlueJean Baby
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Should we mix them up or keep them in order? (Example all US , then on to Canada....or mix things up US one day then another continent the next?)

I don't know about mixing up. China popping up after, say, Alabama or Manchester would be a little odd, but on the other hand it would be fun :lol: (and less monotonous).

Do what you think best :)

• Like 1