Gardening

Gracii Guns

2 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I'm trying to propagate Purple Vitex or purple Texas sage tree. I learned something new. The cutting is actually supposed to be in sand and not water. I'll be starting over. 

Well, it happens. :lol:

Love propagating but there are many ways and each plant has the one it likes best.  Remember with your rooting hormone not to dip the plant in the whole container as you contaminate it.  And you can't slide the cutting into the soil as you wipe of the power.  Learned both those things the hard way.

Sucks to learn the hard way, but you'll never forget! I find that so neat that you can propagate cuttings in sand! So cool!

I went too the garden nice and early today and it was beautiful out. Planted some more quinoa and built up and weeded some new beds. It was nice to catch up with the weekend crowd for the first time this season.

Pattypans have sprouted! Tomatoes are looking so healthy! Fennel and cabbage are just beginning to show. Peas and kale are moving right along. Still not sure if Ive spotted any quinoa or not so far. No beet sprouts yet, but they only just went in. Im fairly sure that I'll be going right from prepping and transplanting the last bed directly into harvesting and preserving peas and beets without a break :lol:

I organized my shed a bit and used the pocket, belt loop and zipper part of some old jeans to hang stuff in shed:

ToqKLgDl.jpg

t5EWIiol.jpg

(first aid - its blurry)

o5d13cnl.jpg

Trowel in pocket will go on the nail holding it on once I get all my gear and supplies sorted in there.

Edited by soon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, angriestwhopper said:

Do you guys dance around your gardens singing the garden?

I do. I pretend to be a pissed off carrot whilst singing the Alice cooper bit.

Well, naturally all of the above... while wearing Lemmy shorts. I figure its what got me elected head of the neighbourhood association.

Don't dance in the garden.  I'm all business when I'm there.  I know who I'm working for and they're all watching me. :blink:

Fair warning, you live by me I'm only walking passed your empty planters and beds for so long before I plant them up.  I at least let DJ pick the plants I put in her bed but the pots were done by the time she showed up. :lol:  Fortunately she thinks it's all cool.  Just wait until those sweet potato vines get going.

• GNFNR 1

Damn, it's just fucking hot.  I was thinking about heading north if it keeps this up but I've got all these containers to water.  On the other hand, why can't I just drag everybody back in the house and turn on my growing lights? :lol:

The Lantana are loving this.

Its hot in the north too. And humid as all get out! Multiple rain storms havent broken the humidity. Todays supposed to be mild so plan to head to garden. I cant wait to turn off the grow lights at least for a week or so - sometimes I catch a glimpse of them at night and they wake me up a bit.

Wish you could share pics, @cineater, I dont know what a Lantana is!

Lantana have little flower bouquets all over them.  Heat lovers.  The butterflies love them.

I'm only at the garden for 45 minutes each day.  Water what I need to and get out of there.  The daylilies just started to come out and they usually start showing mid May.  Weird weather pattern we are in.  My outside time is after the sun goes down.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cineater said:

Soon, you going to start growing a different crop? :slash:

Looks that way! Yeah, the Bill passed in Parliament. It has yet to received Royal Assent. So, it would be super cool of the Queen of England if she'd get on that, lol.

Im happy I will finally know whats all used to grow and treat it

I was suppose to be supervising a group of teenage boys weeding an area at the park.  Even I couldn't tell the perennials from the weeds. :lol:  I'm sure we killed a few plants but they weren't doing that great of a job getting the roots out so the plants will be back, along with the weeds.  Looked good when we left.  Thank god for mulch.

• Haha 1

My rehabbed tomato seedling made it to his spot in the garden today! He even survived being fallen into and bumped on bus.

kAbH8VYh.jpg

And today I saw the first flower on my previously transplanted tomatoes:

V2UB5eah.jpg

And the one and only pepper thats been transplanted so far has so many little fruits! At least 12 already!

e1FkbOuh.jpg

Aching from clearing sizeable weeds, digging yet more deep furrows, building up beds and hauling mulch. But tomorrow it will all pay off when I hope to transplant about 30 peppers (bell, jalapeño, cayenne) and sow 50 black turtle beans.

Still not certain if any quinoa has germinated - maybe they wont tolerate the clay? Thats a good chunk of garden so I hope I figure it out soon so I can toss in something else in time.

• Like 1

So close to finishing up in the greenhouse.  I  buried the tool shed area in leaf mulch.  Won't be weeding in there again until next year.  I'm filthy and soaking wet.  I was going to go back and finish up but it's lightening and there is that GNR concert.  Hopefully they go on late, I need a shower.

• Like 1

Waduljyh.png

Finally got my last 2 tomatoes in today. Plus 30 peppers and 2 lemon balm. Caged some tomatoes who really needed it by now.

Im really starting to run out of steam and its not even July! But the new flowers on my peas are a nice pick me up. My kales taking off too but you can barely see em through the weeds. 

• Like 2

Tell me about it, getting my ass kicked.  Hopefully I'm wrapping up the big projects and will be down to watering and deadheading.

This storm is one long line to the other side of the state.  It now look like a dragon with it's mouth open ready to chop down on my town. :lol:

• Haha 1