My Interview with Manny Charlton (Nazareth) Talks Working with GNR, Spaghetti Incident & More!

39 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

It's interesting that he said that Guns didn't need permission to cover HOTD. I guess it depends on the band you're covering and the legalities involved. Does anyone know how that works? I would assume that Nazareth received royalties from the song being included on TSI. 

I think you don't need permission to cover another artist's song, you just have to make sure they get their royalties.

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think you don't need permission to cover another artist's song, you just have to make sure they get their royalties.

yup thats basically it. In fact the artist who originally wrote the song makes more than the artist who covers it. I remember lenny kravitz told stern that the guess who made a lot of money off his cover of american woman. Cheetah Chrome also said he made a good chunk of change in royalties off the spaghetti incident. 

51 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Thanks, certainly makes sense. I remember The Verve sampling a small piece from The Stones on Bittersweet Symphony and they were subsequently sued. 

i think that might have to do with the fact that they never got permission for using the sample. 

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I guess Mick and Keith weren't feeling very charitable, lol.  Can't blame them I guess.

Decent tune. They played hardball over the sampling and initially only requested 50% of the royalties. They seen how successful it was and demanded 100%. It's a sin as the best bits about that tune is the string arrangement.

All must be forgotten now though as Ashcroft is opening for them at some of their UK shows.

5 minutes ago, Dean said:

Decent tune. They played hardball over the sampling and initially only requested 50% of the royalties. They seen how successful it was and demanded 100%. It's a sin as the best bits about that tune is the string arrangement.

All must be forgotten now though as Ashcroft is opening for them at some of their UK shows.

Cool, sounds like no hard feelings there, just business.  As far as the song, I've always thought it was brilliant. Vid is great too.

• Like 3