The Technology Thread

Gibson87

Basically to discuss anything and everything involving technology.

I'll get the ball rolling- I'm in the market for a new laptop. Mainly using it for work and school but will also do some gaming on it. My budget is $250-$500. I don't want anything fancy, just something that runs well.

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Basically to discuss anything and everything involving technology.

I'll get the ball rolling- I'm in the market for a new laptop. Mainly using it for work and school but will also do some gaming on it. My budget is $250-$500. I don't want anything fancy, just something that runs well.

I thought laptops were out of style now. Tablets are the new it thing. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't buy a laptop.

7 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I thought laptops were out of style now. Tablets are the new it thing. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't buy a laptop.

They're not out of style yet but they're not as popular as they used to be. It really depends on what you're going to use it for. I could use a tablet or 2 in 1 laptop for work and school, but I also like to game so I'd need a well built laptop with more processing power

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

They're not out of style yet but they're not as popular as they used to be. It really depends on what you're going to use it for. I could use a tablet or 2 in 1 laptop for work and school, but I also like to game so I'd need a well built laptop with more processing power

Are apple laptops any better or worse in your opinion than others? I've never been a fan of their phones and never had one of their laptops. I have a ten year old acer laptop that I dont hardly use anymore. Its so outdated I cant even get on the internet with it anymore. Its only use now is to store pictures and music.

Just now, gnfnrs1972 said:

Are apple laptops any better or worse in your opinion than others? I've never been a fan of their phones and never had one of their laptops. I have a ten year old acer laptop that I dont hardly use anymore. Its so outdated I cant even get on the internet with it anymore. Its only use now is to store pictures and music.

It depends. If you're using it for multi media stuff, then Apple is probably the way to go, imo. If gaming and efficiency are more your thing, then I'd definitely go with Windows. I grew up with Windows so I might be a little biased here lol

We have a Sony Vaio bought 7 years ago and it still works as good as new. But we don't game so not sure about processing speed. For work, they issue us HP which have come along way in the last 10 years. We get a new one every 2 years for work. 

Does anyone use solar power or know much about it? I have a little solar panel that chargers a light and can also charge devices via USB. Its really quality and does both jobs incredibly well. Charges quick and a charge lasts a reasonably long time. I really wanna get more solar going. It seems to me that the options are similar to the Mac/PC thing with 'plug and play' options that arent customizable and have limitations or modular units requiring a lot of know how for use and safety.

46 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

How quickly does it charge your phone and how long does the charge last? How much did it cost?

It charges phone at least as fast as wall or computer - I swear its sometimes faster. Thats if your not dividing the output between light and charge as you can do both at same time with good results too. Also can solar harvest directly into a phone if solar battery is low. For the lights there are 3 settings so you somewhat control the depletion rate. The one I have is advertised as having 36 hours light from a days charge. I would say thats a totally fair way to put it, because of variables like what is full days sun, what brightness is it running, is it double duty, etc. On a good day in the winter, Ive charged it by simply placing it upright against the glass of my window, with some tree cover, and had a full charge in 6 hours. The rest of the year, charging is basically a non-issue.

I think mine was $45 plus delivery. I got it at least 2 years ago.

https://www.greenlightplanet.com/hi/shop/pro-2/

Edit: I should've mentioned how compact it is too. Here you can see that the panel is about the same size as a dvd case. And the light, the orb on the right, also contains the battery so both pieces are necessary to charge/use, but its easy to carry in a backpack. 

5hrV7gDl.jpg?1

Edited by soon