Tommy’s Bass

40 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Tommy’s base is buried on Chinese Democracy. Appetite and Ilusions were heavy on bass. Do you think it was intentional on Axl’s part as part of the whole trying to distance himself from that era etc…or just a result of how the album was mixed etc?? 

can only guess, but Chinese is a very dense album with a bunch of layers and Axl added more sounds as he was constructing it so I think it was an artisitc choice. In the leaked version of the album the drums and bass still had balls and were upfront in the mix, some people consider/considered it more modern in this genre to lower the bass and if you lower one thing in a mix, you can highlight other instruments, it can't be all upfront as each instrument takes a space in the mix.

terrible choice imho, especially when you got the right guys with the talent like Josh and Tommy to make it rock hard but I still prefer the official version of Chinese, I just wish it had more power in the rhythm section like in the leaked version.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

You want to hear a fat bass with balls? Listen to Rio 2001, particularly Chinese Democracy

I can't, the guitars were horrible, dry as fuck, and the mix is all over the place. Which was typical for the Rock in Rio broadcasts.

I really, really like Tommy's work on IRS, TWAT and especially on Street of Dreams' outro. Some very melodic and tasteful licks there. Shame that was buried in the mix.

• Like 1