Appetite for Distortion - Sean Beavan and Scott Ian return

25 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Why was Zutaut fired? Never heard the real reasons for that, same as for Goldstein.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/guns-n-roses-the-making-of-chinese-democracy

The black hawk down part clipped out.

Black Hawk Down

A month later, Axl sacked Tom Zutaut at an advance screening of Ridley Scott’s movie Black Hawk Down. The director wanted to use Welcome To The Jungle in the movie, and negotiations started to see if the movie people would accept a re-recorded version by the new line-up.

An internal dispute centered around the wisdom of doing such a thing. Beta Lebeis claims Axl was reluctant to re-record, telling Zutaut, “‘Listen, we’re making the album – now we have to stop and do this, [it’s too difficult]’.” For his part, Zutaut claims that the song had already been re-recorded by the band: “Part of Axl’s induction process for his new band was that they re-recorded every song off of Appetite,” he says. “So we just had to spend a day mixing it.”

It’s difficult to explain why Zutaut was sacked, but it centres around the fact that Axl had requested a private screening of the movie (a standard request). When he turned up to find strangers there, he felt that Zutaut had misled him over the nature of the screening. 

"He said, ‘Who the fuck are all those people in there?’” says Tom. “‘I was told that this was my private screening and I don’t know who these fucking people are! I can’t believe you lied to me about this – you told me it was a private screening! You’re fired!’”

Zutaut, meanwhile, claims to have been set-up by someone looking to discredit him – an accusation denied by the Axl Rose camp. Whatever the truth, Zutaut was off the album. Roy Thomas Baker followed a few months later. 

8 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Doug says he quit in 2004. 

but they "took a break" from each other a few years before that, no? was there any other reason given for why Doug was fired other than touring issues that you know of?

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but "hey "took a break" from each other a few years before that, no? was there any other reason given for why Doug was fired other than touring issues that you know of?

According to Doug, while being phased out by Merck and Yoda, Doug was having issues at home, wanted to manage from Hawaii much like Alice Cooper's manager. Axl said no, wanted him around, then Doug quit to be with his kids. Also touring issues were the product of taking the blame rather than put it on Axl.

Edited by Gambit83
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dacroix said:

We agree that this period is the most interesting period of the band, right?

'93-'09 for me to be exact. We don't know much about what happened in those 16 years with Axl/new Gn'R. Reading about Axl's side of the story would be fascinating for many reasons. He seems to have a good memory, kept notes, and seems reliable, as in won't lie to make himself look good and I can't think of any other musician that attempted a project like Chinese. (Brian Wilson and Smile don't really count though I love that album)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dacroix said:

We agree that this period is the most interesting period of the band, right?

It's much more interesting than the last 7 years of they toured a lot and made a ton of money. Consider 1994-2001 is the same amount of time as 2016-2023 but there were monumental changes with the former.

Hi @Gambit83

My name is Alejandro, I'm from Argentina and I love your show, so I'd like to start by saying congrats for your great work which has led to many very interesting interviews. 

That said, as a fan, and please consider this is coming from a great intended place...I'd like to know why is it that you sometimes avoid many of the usual topics we use to discuss here. 

I was listening to your interview with Beavan and I was hoping you would ask so many things about Axls recording sessions, his changes in vocal style, his vocal issues, his vocal capability compared to previous years, etc.

Is is something you avoid due to contract terms??? If not, and again, considering this is coming from a fan like you that follows and appreciates your great work, maybe you could take this into account for future ocations. 

Hope you get the message and specially my good intentions here. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Appreciate the kind words, Alejandro - In the first interview we do discuss the vocal recordings, how Axl warms up by doing "standup comedy" and Sam Kinison impressions. I think talking about the quality of his voice or "issues" is a lose-lose situation. Nothing to gain for Sean or myself by criticizing his voice, saying forum-like things... "not as strong" or a conversation about "rasp." I feel like it would just shine a light on a negative narrative. 

I certainly don't have a contract with anyone. Many of my guests and/or their management are fearful of clickbait topics, so I try to avoid those tricky areas. Sometimes I'm too cautious, I admit. Building positive relationships with artists/labels are important to me.

That said, I should have focused more on the recordings, but our first interview it seemed like he didn't remember specifics, so I didn't think to go there. He did his homework for this one however, but in a scheduling conflict I had to get to Scott Ian on Zoom right after. I would have kept Sean on longer. I'd like to think they'll be a 3rd time :) 

Thanks for answering!!! I'll continue to support your great for us fans. 

• GNFNR 1