Slash claims ‘Guns N’ Roses’ would’ve been ‘canceled’ today: ‘Glad we didn’t have the internet back then’

10 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

They were cancelled though

Some Promoters didn’t want them because of OIAM etc, some people refused to listen to them, other bands didn’t want to tour with them, journalists slagged them off, etc etc

Absolutely. GN'R has a long history of being cancelled, with countries and stores refusing to sell their music, artwork being censored, stickers on albums warning against language, Axl being lambasted in the media, venues refusing to host the band, etc etc. The idea that "cancelling" is some new phenomenon is silly. It is just a new term. Like PC. And woke. But these things have always existed, sentiments and social rules have always evolved. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

He isn't wrong. Whilst other albums back then had a parent advisory sticker on the front ,  I distinctly remember   the UYI II CD's  sticker in HMV   

It said exactly  - 

This album contains language which some listeners may find objectionable. They can F?!* OFF and buy something from the New Age section. 

dc0027fc0857b32a40e9b5cd911614cd.jpg

I was on holiday with my parents and desperately wanted to buy UYI 2 on cassette from Woolworths but was concerned they might stop me spending my holiday money on it if they saw that sticker. 

My solution was to buy sweets in the same shop the day before and sneak off to the music section to remove every sticker on all the cassettes so the next day I could get away with buying my copy of UYI 2 without any worries! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, 中国民主 said:

Indeed!

20230413_130849.jpg.e7ab91e009736403859770130c3c1593.jpg

:lol:Cannot believe it is literally cemented in my brain. I was a little apprehensive if i had gotten the F part right ...but there it is in all it's glory. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I was on holiday with my parents and desperately wanted to buy UYI 2 on cassette from Woolworths but was concerned they might stop me spending my holiday money on it if they saw that sticker. 

My solution was to buy sweets in the same shop the day before and sneak off to the music section to remove every sticker on all the cassettes so the next day I could get away with buying my copy of UYI 2 without any worries! 

So funny. The things we did as kids for this band ! Woolworths ! i miss it. :lol:

4 hours ago, wendirosez said:

:lol:Cannot believe it is literally cemented in my brain. I was a little apprehensive if i had gotten the F part right ...but there it is in all it's glory. 

So funny. The things we did as kids for this band ! Woolworths ! i miss it. :lol:

found some old woolworths batteries in a draw last year, should probably donate them to a museum 

On 4/13/2023 at 4:33 AM, allwaystired said:

Had the same experience but it was worry that the shopkeeper wouldn’t sell it to me because I was 12 and it had that sticker on the cassette cover!! 
Different Times…. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wendirosez said:

He isn't wrong. Whilst other albums back then had a parent advisory sticker on the front ,  I distinctly remember   the UYI II CD's  sticker in HMV   

It said exactly  - 

This album contains language which some listeners may find objectionable. They can F?!* OFF and buy something from the New Age section. 

I think it had both the Parental Advisory by law and the Sticker reading “This album…” was added by the band as joke response to it by basically putting Fuck OFF on the cover next to the mandatory warning of “Explicit Content” … that being the offensive language contained on the album. 

• Thanks 1