British Medical Association Issue GNR Health Warning

'Following  recent confirmation that the band will headline the Glastonbury festival this summer, there have been reports in the British media today that audiologists are highly concerned. Fans who intend to attend the Guns N Roses show have been urged to wear earplugs or alternative ear protection during the band's performance, after fears that the lead singer's notoriously high-pitched, Mickey Mouse-like vocals can cause hearing damage. 

In particular, audiologists have noted a statistically significant rate of tinnitus among fans who attended the band's recent tour.  This is a medical condition which involves permanent hearing damage,  and often causes a permanent buzzing type sound for sufferers. It has been speculated that the high volume of the speaker systems, the  prolongued duration (the band's performance often goes on for over 3.5 hours) and the unusually high-pitched vocals (often compared to Disney cartoon character Mickey Mouse) create a so-called 'perfect storm' , leading to the debilitating condition.'

Edited by Millions
  • Haha 4

I've heard musician earplugs are great. They keep the sound intact, but they also protect your ears. I wore normal foam earplugs at a concert, but I took them out because I thought the music sounded muddy. after the concert, I had temporary tinnitus. so i regret taking them out.

I haven't saved all the research studies, but there's debate on whether temporary threshold shift actually damages nerve endings in the ear. there's studies and counterstudies, but one of the studies that proposed neurodegeneration from noise exposure was this one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812055/

Edited by BucketEgg

• downzy locked this topic