Appetite for Imitation

Hi all,

As a fan who has listened to all GNR's music back to front multiple times, I got bored recently and set myself a challenge.

I started comparing the various sounds produced by individual members in their solo music / collaborations (Post Illusions), and thought it would be interesting to find the songs that most comparable to the AFD album.

Sometimes it just came down to an individual guitar / drum part, and other times I was trying to find comparable big hitters e.g. WTTJ, PC, SCOM

The songs I found most comparable are below (They were by no means my favourite / best songs)

Welcome to the Jungle

Velvet Revolver

Slither

Its So Easy

Velvet Revolver

Dirty Little Thing

Nightrain

Velvet Revolver

Spectacle

Out Ta Get Me

Slash's Snakepit (V1)

Good to be Alive

Mr Brownstone

Slash's Snakepit (V2)

Life's Sweet Drug

Paradise City

SMKC

Anastasia

My Michelle

SMKC

Shots Fired

Think About You

Gilby Clarke

Heart of Chrome

Sweet Child O'Mine

Velvet Revolver

Fall to Pieces

You're Crazy

Izzy Stradlin & the JuJu Hounds

Bucket O' Trouble

Anything Goes

SMKC

Carolina

Rocket Queen

Slash's Snakepit (V1)

Back and Forth Again

Very interested to find out your own opinions, and what would potentially fit better?!

• Like 3

This is a good thread idea and I'm surprised it hasn't been responded to yet. It would have been interesting to have heard the "Spin off," Bands such as Velvet Revolver and Slash's  Snakepit do covers of Appetite For Destruction songs. But it be hard to try to do justice to Axl's singing. Axl has a unique, distinct, signature voice, so People who try to do covers of Axl's songs have very huge shoes to fill and their work cut out for them. Judges on here managed to cover Axl's Oh My God song and did the song justice and sounded good while sounding NOTHING like Axl, a very hard feat to do. If you're going to cover an Axl song, you'd better make sure you do the song justice and sound GOOD like Judges did. If any of the "Spin off," Bands could do Axl's songs justice while sounding good, well, that would have been a real treat. 

5 hours ago, Karice said:

It would have been interesting to have heard the "Spin off," Bands such as Velvet Revolver and Slash's  Snakepit do covers of Appetite For Destruction songs. 

Velvet Revolver played GN'R songs regularly live

25 minutes ago, sakuL_ said:

Brent nailed it especially when it came to the Gn'R drum feel imo, except the guitars, of course. Some drummers can do the Gn'R feel better than others. It's not something you can learn.

Edited by Rovim

On 3/24/2023 at 4:22 AM, Rovim said:

Brent nailed it especially when it came to the Gn'R drum feel imo, except the guitars, of course. Some drummers can do the Gn'R feel better than others. It's not something you can learn.

Sorum banged the pots in VR.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:59 AM, sakuL_ said:

I only recall Brownstone, It’s So Easy & Patience form the few times I saw them, were there other GnR covers?

12 hours ago, Irish Rose said:

I think they played Use to Love Her also

Too many gigs all blurred into one… 

I actually saw VR do this cover, I just looked over the setlists of the VR gigs I was at, and they did “Used to love Her” at the very first VR gig I was at in 2005…. I was sure they also covered “wish you were here” at that gig, but it was a different one. I saw VR 4 times and It’s morphed into 1 gig in my head. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:59 AM, sakuL_ said:

Duff plays GNR stuff at his solo shows too, I've seen him play Dust N Bones and So Fine, he's done Patience, You Ain't The First and some others.

It would've been cool if Duff and Axl had done Dust N Bones, YATF, So Fine or Raw Power since 2016 but obviously it isn't gonna happen.

• Like 1