Classic Albums Clash Illusion 1 vs 2

BigMike322

This is an awesome episode of Talk is Jericho where they compare the 2 albums song by song, and at the end each person shares their Ultimate Illusion Album.  You  hand pick 14 songs from both.  14 is fair because the 2 albums have 30 songs combined which includes 2 versions of Don't Cry, and My World (which I do like but consider it more of an outro than a song) so 28÷2=14.  I was driving home from a music festival on Saturday and I came up with my list to entertain myself/stay awake on the drive home.  I initially had 16 songs, 8 from each album (I wasn't trying to keep it even, that was unintentional)  so I had to chop off 2 songs.  Breakdown and So Fine got cut.  

So here's my list. 

Civil War
Dust N Bones
Yesterdays
Perfect Crime
Back Off Bitch
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
Don't Cry
November Rain
Estranged
Coma

I would love to see what others come up with. 

I revised my own list recently. Please note though that I made this list based off of “commercial potential,” rather than my own personal taste:

SIDE A

1.You Could Be Mine, 2.Pretty Tied Up, 3.Double Talkin’ Jive

SIDE B

4.November Rain, 5.Live & Let Die, 6.Dead Horse

SICE C

7.Civil War, 8.Yesterdays, 9.Estranged

SIDE D

10.Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, 11.Don’t Cry (Original), 12.Coma

So it ended up being exactly six songs from each.

Edited by rocknroll41

Perfect Crime
Double Talkin' Jive
Bad Obsession
Don't Damn Me
You Could Be Mine
Coma
Live and Let Die
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
Yesterdays
Don't Cry (Original)
Civil War
Estranged
November Rain

Edited by Skamos66
accidently posted while starting list
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2023 at 6:38 PM, pbj_jam said:

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Right Next Door To Hell
Get In The Ring
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
Breakdown
The Garden
Estranged
Coma

something like it

Good list, No November Rain or Bad Obsession makes any list better  :headbang:

Regardless of track list, I believe a single LP would’ve done more for GNR’s legacy than the double LP. It was a big hyped up deal at the time, but there’s something about the human psyche that seems to respond better to a single shorter artistic statement. Contradicting myself somewhat, I also think UYI has such a strong cross section of tracks, any list of 12 is going to be pretty good and would’ve done the job (says a lot about the chemistry within the band at the time).

love all the lists above, think any version of it would’ve been more satisfying as a single release. Just for shits and giggles tho, here’s mine.

1. Civil War - a great opener, atmospheric and establishes the band have matured since AFD. 
2. Dust N’ Bones - back down to earth with a swaggering Izzy gem. Street cred intact! 
3. Don’t Cry - first ballad, get it out the way! 

4. Double Talkin’ Jive - first real slash showcase. I always thought the Spanish outro was a bold move. I think it’d get more credit as ‘experimental’ if it wasn’t diluted by the sheer volume of material on the double album.

5. Perfect Crime - an injection of psychotic appetite-esque chaos to keep the rockers happy. 
6. November Rain - end side 1 with a bang… a meandering, bloated, silly, yet brilliant bang. 

side 2

7. You Could Be Mine - potentially the best track on the album, and the ultimate side 2 opener. 
8. Yesterday - a palate cleanser after a few long ones.

9. Pretty Tied Up - this is just a cool fun song. Bass intro is awesome too, duff up the dusty end, give him a bit of a spotlight moment like he had on SCOM. 
10. Locomotive - after a ‘fun’ rocker, let’s have an indulgent self-piteous diatribe rocker! Great riffs tho 

11. Estranged - Fuck it, end it at 11 tracks, that’s enough. Quality over quantity, give them some left in the tank for another album. Do and oasis and save the covers and runner up tracks for really strong B sides. 

Edited by Billy Cundy