Name of the 'burst' of Slashes guitar from 1993?

RnRHOFGNR

Hey guys look at this post 

Specifically the pictures from the May 29th 1993 show at Milton Keynes.  Does anyone know the name of the burst of slashes guitar the one with the zebra pickups.  It's not a colour and pattern i've seen much of and I've seen many Les Pauls it seems pretty rare?  It could be cherry burst but there's not much red in there I'm thinking its a Les Paul with a sunburst finish?

Can you post pictures on here of what you mean. Trying to go through clicking those links and finding the pictures of the guitar you’re actually talking about isn’t that easy. I’m pretty familiar with the guitars he was using during that period. 

Edited by Oxford

It’s not Jessica.  I’m pretty sure it a rare post Appetite showing of his original Derrig.  It used to have that graded burst in those days before it became a bit more faded.  But the lighting does accentuate it more than you usually see. 

Edited by Oxford

On 6/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, Oxford said:

It’s not Jessica.  I’m pretty sure it a rare post Appetite showing of his original Derrig.  It used to have that graded burst in those days before it became a bit more faded.  But the lighting does accentuate it more than you usually see. 

Unlikely that its the Derrig, since that one was never a cherry sunburst. It always had that unique amber finish to it that Derrig sprayed on it. Gibson as far as I know never made burst like that until they made the reissues and even those aren't quite like what Chris Derrig did. 

It could be one of the four 87 Standards that Slash ordered from Gibson one of his Max guitars  or simply a Gibson he got around that time in 93. I don't think I've seen it since 

Edited by NicDwolfwood

19 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Unlikely that its the Derrig, since that one was never a cherry sunburst. It always had that unique amber finish to it that Derrig sprayed on it. Gibson as far as I know never made burst like that until they made the reissues and even those aren't quite like what Chris Derrig did. 

It could be one of the four 87 Standards that Slash ordered from Gibson one of his Max guitars  or simply a Gibson he got around that time in 93. I don't think I've seen it since 

Yeah it does seem to be a guitar that only appeared in 1993 and I dont think ive seen it be used in the recent GNR tours.  I really like the colour I just dont think its a cherry burst.

19 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Yup, you’re right.  It’s not the Derrig.  Probably one of the ones Victoria nicked.  Certainly a cherry sunburst though. 

Edited by Oxford

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 8:41 PM, evilfacelessturtle said:

It's a 1992 Historic Custom Shop Reissue. Guitar #4 in this picture of his 1993 setup:

live-gear-guns-n-roses-01-guitars.jpg

It's absolutely not the Derrig or Jessica. You can tell just by looking at it that it was a new guitar and the sunburst was different from any other. Much thicker burst at the top and thin at the bottom.

Probably just a regular cherry sunburst Les Paul standard. Jessica is guitar #2 in the pic, Derrig had been retired from the road.

On 8/29/2023 at 1:06 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Probably just a regular cherry sunburst Les Paul standard. Jessica is guitar #2 in the pic, Derrig had been retired from the road.

No, it's a Custom Shop model; it has the Gotoh tuners with press-in bushings and wide bevel truss rod cover.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

Speaking of Slash guitars:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/slash-first-guns-n-roses-les-paul-hunter-burst-auction

“This is the one that got him hooked”: Slash’s first Guns N’ Roses Les Paul – the ‘Hunter Burst’ – is going to auction

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 4:41 AM, evilfacelessturtle said:

It's a 1992 Historic Custom Shop Reissue. Guitar #4 in this picture of his 1993 setup:

live-gear-guns-n-roses-01-guitars.jpg

It's absolutely not the Derrig or Jessica. You can tell just by looking at it that it was a new guitar and the sunburst was different from any other. Much thicker burst at the top and thin at the bottom.

Great reply so informative this is exactly the post I was looking for thank you so much.  I'm wondering has he used it on any of the GNR tours since 2016 I guess it would be difficult to tell now since he could have replaced the pick-ups and the colour has faded by now.

4 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

Great reply so informative this is exactly the post I was looking for thank you so much.  I'm wondering has he used it on any of the GNR tours since 2016 I guess it would be difficult to tell now since he could have replaced the pick-ups and the colour has faded by now.

It doesn't appear so. I haven't seen it at all since 2001. He used it for the song Take It Away on the 1995 Snakepit tour (Guitar #3) because that song was in Drop D tuning, and for Rusted Heroes in 2001, being set up for slide work.

live-gear-slash-snakepit-01-guitars.jpg

Source: https://www.slashparadise.com/equipment/live-gear-slash-snakepit.php

VR was mostly that tobacco burst. And since 2010 his solo stuff has been mostly the Gibson remakes of the Derrig and Jessica, plus whatever latest signature models he has.

When you have hundreds of guitars like Slash, there's not much reason to go digging into the collection for something you last played 20 years ago.