GNR jokes and references you didn't get before becoming a GNR fan? 🤣🤔

So, around 1990, DJ from Full House says something like,"I'll bet Guns N'Roses will be so out of it, they won't even FIND the stage at the VMA tonight! "

I was a little kid in 1990 and had NO idea who Guns N'Roses were  yet, so I didn't get the joke,/reference, but as an Adult and a GNR Fan, I get it! ,🤣 Guns N'Roses were  REALLY messed up in 1990 for real...🤔

Edited by Karice

16 hours ago, Karice said:

So, around 1990, DJ from Full House says something like,"I'll bet Guns N'Roses will be so out of it, they won't even FIND the stage at the VMA tonight! "

I was a little kid in 1990 and had NO idea who Guns N'Roses were  yet, so I didn't get the joke,/reference, but as an Adult and a GNR Fan, I get it! ,🤣 Guns N'Roses were  REALLY messed up in 1990 for real...🤔

IIRC, i think she said something like “i want to stay up and watch the VMAs to see if the guy from guns n roses falls off the stage” 🤣 

They had acquired some reputation it seems. 

3 hours ago, Ketan said:

IIRC, i think she said something like “i want to stay up and watch the VMAs to see if the guy from guns n roses falls off the stage” 🤣 

They had acquired some reputation it seems. 

🤣 Yep, that was the joke/reference! I knew it had something to do with a stage and the VMAs! 🤣Hmm. If she was making a joke about Axl falling off the stage, this probably wasn't 1990. It might have been in 1991 or after 1991 because he fell, okay, JUMPED off the stage at the infamous Riverport Concert Riot over a Camera being used illegally at a show. He even smacked a guy in the head! 😱 There was a time where Fans illegally filming Concerts was REALLY illegal. What's Happening had an infamous episode where some bad guys convince Rerun to illegally film a Doobie Brothers Concert and The Doobie Brothers are highly hurt and disappointed that Rerun ACTUALLY was filming the concert and say something like,"How could you hurt us like tgis? I thought we were Friends?" And Rerun feels bad. Nowadays, filming at Concerts is wildly accepted and no longer illegal. I remember Fans joking that Axl would have to fight a lot of Fans nowadays if he didn't want a camera being used at Guns N'Roses Concerts! 🤣

Edited by Karice

3 hours ago, Karice said:

I don't get this joke/reference.,.🤔🤨🧐

3 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

probably a reference to a quote from the presenter of their MTV 92 performance before November Rain feat Elton John (2 Pianos)

And there lies the point of this thread....thanks @GnrPersia

Edited by colonizedmind

1 hour ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I wanna know why Axl referred to the Chicago crowd as "Potato sandwich eating motherfuckers" back in 92. Did he think he was in Pittsburgh? 

Potato sandwich eating? 🤢🤮 EW! 🤢🤮

Edited by Karice

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 11:47 AM, there is no dana only zool said:

This reminds me when in 4th grade, I asked my Mom what the C word meant and she just about fell over lol.  "WHERE did you hear that?!"  "I mean, idk like.. on TV?"  (the truth was, Bad Obsession, of course, from an album that SHE herself bought me :lol::lol::lol:)

Same! Only my grandparents bought it for me. 😆 The parental advisory sticker went past them.

Edited by Gaanzer
Typos
  • Haha 1

I remember Pop up video doing a pop up video on Sweet Child Of Mine and it said something like,"Birth  Name. William Rose.." I remember wondering why he changed his name to Axl and didn't keep the name William. After becoming a fan, I learned the horrific reason why he didn't keep the name William. Let's just say, it is also the name of his prick of a biological father, and Axl no longer wanted to be named after his prick of a father.🥶

In Get Him To The Greek, Aldous Snow has an album called African Child which flopped because of how incredibly racist it is. It is hated so much that it was listed as the third most detrimental thing to happen in African Culture behind War and Famine, ouch. On YouTube, a Poster wrote something like,"African Child must be the real world equivalent of Axl Rose's Chinese Democracy. I wasn't really  a fan of Axl Rose/Guns N'Roses yet in 2010, so I didn't get the reference and thought something like,"Chinese Democracy must be one horrible and racist Album if this person considers Chinese Democracy to be the real world equivalent of the horrible and racist African Child album." Chinese Democracy is NOT the equivalent of the horrible and racist African Child album, it's not horrible or racist at all. Sure it wasn't well liked in  2010 when Get Him To The Greek was released, but it's a solid album that in years to come got a LOT of praise. I can't believe that Poster thought it was as horrible and racist as African Child album. 🤨

• 3 weeks later...

Before becoming a Guns N'Roses Fan, I remember Guns N'Roses being on some,"Greatest Influential Rock Bands Of All Time," list. At the time, I thought that Guns N'Roses were a one hit wonder that only had Sweet Child Of Mine as their sole hit. I remember thinking,"How is Guns N'Roses one of the greatest influential rock bands of all time? They are a one hit wonder with Sweet Child as their only hit. Sweet Child Of Mine is a REALLY good song, but it's their sole hit." 🤔🤨I had no idea at the time just how many big hits Guns N'Roses had! 🤣😜 This was around the time when I thought that Welcome To The Jungle was sung by some Axl Rose knockoff! 🤣 I went on a music Forum ranting about the Welcome To The Jungle singer ripping off the Sweet Child Of Mine Singer's looks, style, singing style, and dancing style! 😜🤣 Posters were like ,"Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child Of Mine are sung by the same man, you idiot!" Oops. 🫢

Edited by Karice