Slash, is there anything he won't sell out to?

Mr_Sparkle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviosly don't know art since you like to categorize everything. Music is suppose to be free and influencial.

Please name ONE artist that went mainstream that did not sell out in any way!!!!! PAAaaaalllllllleeeeeeeeezzzz.

Oh yeah, I don't listen to Eminem or Limp Bizkit so try again.

Uhh, ok I'm sure..... I am pretty sure most people know what selling out is.. you don't and thats ok... there is a place in the world for you still... on the little yellow shortbus.   ::)

I believe Beethoven didn't sell out, the man made masterpiece's when he was a child.  A true musican that is still listened to today, hundreds of years after his death.  Don't think that will be happening with any new musicans...  

was there even such a thing as a corporation back then? Let alone as sellout!

I dont think its fair to compare beetovens music to modern day rock.

And i guess its your definition of selliong out.

I think that a band has sold out if it reduces their music (or whatever) for the result of m,oney.

Nothing slash has done falls into this cateogry. I mean slash would easily of made more money playing at a 50 000 people gig than he made at comdex, so then shouldn't slash playing live in a concert be considering sellking out?

And as for comdex, its not as though he is a spokesperson or whatever. (as da illest said earlier)

But yeah. If you feel that slash is a sellout then fine, thats your interpretation, but i think its fair to say that at least by my definition of a sellout that slash hasn't "sold out"

... And i guess its your definition of selliong out.

I think that a band has sold out if it reduces their music (or whatever) for the result of m,oney....

"Selling out" isn't just about money.

In my view, it refers to how low someone will stoop to get publicity or grab the media spotlight. Money may or may not be involved. For example, many people believed Aerosmith 'sold out' big-time when the band agreed to hop on stage and sing with Britney and friends at the Superbowl. There may have been money involved -- but I think the band did this primarily for the publicity and media exposure, not the money.

Likewise, with Slash, I don't think he chooses his appearances solely for the money. I think most of his decisions hinge on how much media exposure he'll get.  Why else would he be giving VH1 a tour of his home (in today's daily appearance) where he shows off his snake collection? He never picks up a guitar -- he just holds up his various snakes!  

And I don't imagine Slash was paid huge bucks to hop on stage with Pink. But I'm guessing he knew there'd be a lot of cameras rolling and reporters hanging around that would mention him.

There's nothing wrong with marketing yourself and keeping your name in the news. It's just that some of us feel Slash could be a bit more selective about which appearances he makes and who he agrees to perform with.

he's over  people

to bad he was a  great  player,   ???    but now he's just the same old slash, desperate he is

have you guys seen  a pic of slash? holly f*uck man...he looks like he is a 60 years old...what happend ?

i dunno what the hell ur talkin about i seen him all his solo shows he looks more in shape and healthier than he did in his prime. he quit smoking and drinking and he has a cut, lean, razor sharp physique. The thing about Slash is he is so down 2 earth he can not say no to someone he is like he is cool w/ everyone. Remember he was on a guitar god pedastal now he is like wishing he could go back to the good ol days it's tough i guess to not be in the spotlight. as for snake pit most songs suck but they sound good live cos his band members have tight chemistry and why has no one mentioned this snakepit song....serial killer #7????

sellout is when you change your direction and forget about teh things and people that got u where ur at like the way Metallica shiited on me and 1,000 of other fans in the 90's and today. Lars ulrich  can suck my dick saying shit ,liike hey were still a hard rock band we just don't have to think like one....we not gonna do the metal thing that is old...why? why?me & 1000's of fans brought u up & u shitted on us that is a sellout. Aerosmith sold out cos of bringing all those power ballads and ignoring their roots. never ever forget where you came from.

well money can come in the form of multiple things, so when i said money, i didn't literally mean notes and coins..

I mean if aerosmith played at the superbowl for exposure, that exposure could be converted into a dollar and sense amount when you look at the increased sales.

But its the same for everything. Sport, art, music, its all about money these days.

You cant exactly blame an artist for wanting to cash in on their work. I mean thats what all artists do by selling albums, its just that now the mechanism of "cashing in" is far more broad and can include other things (i.e. playing at the superbowl)

by your definition Mbe slash has "Sold Out" in that he has aimed to make money off his work, but then is that any different from any other artist? Writing and selling albums is just a more basic way of "selling out".

The real issue for me, is whether it takes away from the music of that artist. In the case of metallica and aerosmith mbe you could say that them selling out was bad becuase it has affected their music, but for slash it hasn't. Unless the project turns out an Nsync style record (or near enough) then there is nothing wrong with him selling out.

you know what i find funny ? i'm here almost every day for quite a long time and as some may remember every time i posted something negative about axl (which of course exist because he's only human like us...) there's always an excuse. ha! and now i'm watching how some mr_sparkle guy accused slash of having sold out and there's not even one excuse. i mean if it was axl we would have at least 5 persons in here running in support. i guess slash playing at comdex is such a terrible thing that none of those 5, 6 or how many they are ,aren't willing to cover slash. not that it's a matter of "covering" cause he doesn't need excuses for doing what he wants. i'm talking in terms of the unfair treatment of any other member against axl. i remember little witch once saying "it's now a case of different camps" (meaning axl/old guys camps) like it's a war or something... you can check this out if you don't believe by reading in the very first pages of the forum. well, anyone who believes this is just pathetic.. camps for what ??? for music ? does axl and slash give you to eat ? why should you be so stuck to one person you don't even know ? i love them, their music ,some trivial things about them ,but that's all.. some people in here are so addicted to them and all the gnr-stuff that i think they live only for this... that's stupid.. sorry..

well i for one would be dead without GNR..

naah,

Gnr is important to most of us.. I mean we wouldn't be in here unless it was. I mean they provide an outlet for us to relax, and we cant get enough of it!...

But either way, we will b itch and scrag about issues such as this, but at the end of the day we all share a common thread....

So, while we might seem like we are enemies, we really arent, in fact we are better described as close friends since we can tolerate each others b itching and whining.

I mean in any other situation we would be outta here in a second, but not in here, its different...

By they way, i know it sounds mushy, but its true. And if only this connection were real! haha we are limited to text and a screen....

But either way, while it seems like fighting and whatever, it really isn't. Its just sharing a common interest...

(by the way i wrote this while listening to wild horses from oklahoma in 92, so i suggest to dig out your old boots to gain the feeling that i had when writing)

... i'm talking in terms of the unfair treatment of any other member against axl. i remember little witch once saying "it's now a case of different camps" (meaning axl/old guys camps) like it's a war or something... you can check this out if you don't believe by reading in the very first pages of the forum....

Well HD, I think if those same people read back through previous pages, they'd find that you come to the defense of Slash more often than not. So, it works both ways.  ;)

As for Axl, I think many of us rally behind Axl because he's the one putting GNR back together and creating an album that we all want to hear. So we're just encouraging him. What's wrong with that?  This is why I don't really understand people who diss Axl or jump all over him every time some little glitch comes up while he's trying to make his comeback.

... Gnr is important to most of us.. I mean we wouldn't be in here unless it was. I mean they provide an outlet for us to relax, and we cant get enough of it!...

But either way, we will b itch and scrag about issues such as this, but at the end of the day we all share a common thread....

So, while we might seem like we are enemies, we really arent, in fact we are better described as close friends since we can tolerate each others b itching and whining....

So true.

Kind of like a dysfunctional family.  :D

We all may b*tch and argue, but at the end of the day, we share a common bond -- GNR's music. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't be here.

And HD, even you admit you come here almost everyday.  ;)

Taking things just slightly out of context, HD?  I was referring to a specific issue.  Namely the 12/29 fiasco in Vegas.  And there was no gray area there.  When Slash called KNAC to whine about it he made sure of that.  When I said we were being forced to choose sides it wasn't Axl vs old members.  It was Axl's management or Slash.  

In my view, it refers to how low someone will stoop to get publicity or grab the media spotlight. Money may or may not be involved. For example, many people believed Aerosmith 'sold out' big-time when the band agreed to hop on stage and sing with Britney and friends at the Superbowl. There may have been money involved -- but I think the band did this primarily for the publicity and media exposure, not the money.  

You are making it sound like he is soooooo desperate.

Slash Jams With CYPRESS HILL At SMOKEOUT FESTIVAL # from blabbermouth.net

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash joined rap-rockers CYPRESS HILL on stage for a "show-stopping" rendition of "(Rock) Superstar" during their appearance at the Smokeout Festival on Saturday, Nov. 23 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California.

"I was gonna come down tonight anyway," Slash explained to MTV.com before he took the stage to huge applause, "and then I talked to Sen Dog and he was like, 'Do you want to come down and play on '(Rock) Superstar', which is one of my favorite songs." The axeman said he jumped at the chance, rehearsing with CYPRESS two days before, and even turning up at the event in a pot-leaf T-shirt.

This year's installment of Smokeout Festival included appearances by such acts as TAPROOT, ADEMA, THE USED, KUSH PROJECT, FINCH, 3RD STRIKE, and POISON THE WELL. MUDVAYNE, who were also scheduled to perform, reportedly cancelled their participation due to vocalist Chüd's bout with bronchitis.

I just thinks he likes to be a guitar-god.. :)

you know what i find funny ? i'm here almost every day for quite a long time and as some may remember every time i posted something negative about axl (which of course exist because he's only human like us...) there's always an excuse. ha! and now i'm watching how some mr_sparkle guy accused slash of having sold out and there's not even one excuse. i mean if it was axl we would have at least 5 persons in here running in support. i guess slash playing at comdex is such a terrible thing that none of those 5, 6 or how many they are ,aren't willing to cover slash. not that it's a matter of "covering" cause he doesn't need excuses for doing what he wants. i'm talking in terms of the unfair treatment of any other member against axl. i remember little witch once saying "it's now a case of different camps" (meaning axl/old guys camps) like it's a war or something... you can check this out if you don't believe by reading in the very first pages of the forum. well, anyone who believes this is just pathetic.. camps for what ??? for music ? does axl and slash give you to eat ? why should you be so stuck to one person you don't even know ? i love them, their music ,some trivial things about them ,but that's all.. some people in here are so addicted to them and all the gnr-stuff that i think they live only for this... that's stupid.. sorry..

*sigh* another person who opens their mouth before reading any of the posts in the thread.... I have said like 15 times if Axl started selling dodge trucks, or pepsi.. i would be the first to say he sold out and I didn't like it.  So stuff it.   ::)

but selling out occurs in almost every aspect of music. Selling albums is selling out. So axl is a sellout, as is bukcethead and co.

I mean they are all sellouts at the end of the day. Its just that some are more complex than others. Its the same deal though!

As long as it doesn't affect the music then its fine!