Warnings Question

Axl Rose Child

I don't have any warnings, that's cos I am a good girl  :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, no warnings for me either. It's not really that hard to follow the rules guys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gnr>everything

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, no warnings for me either. It's not really that hard to follow the rules guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts exactly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts exactly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well from what i can see all the warnings you two have been given have been just (except that first one ARQ, i know you and Tre were not the same person). Anyways its beside the point, none of this will deduct warnings from you.

Q. I got banned. I didn't mean what I said, can I be unbanned? [ie. user has posted many racist posts]

A. You must live with the consequences of your actions.

And to the original question, I don't think you should have warnings taken away for good behaviour. Warnings are set to deter people from repeating offences. By deducting warnings for good beahviour, your in a sense giving a member an infinite amount of warnings. i.e a member could be one warning away from a ban, do good work and then have another chance in which to offend again.

You would also have problems with people that have a 0% warning, behave excellently for a long period of time whilst having 0%, then break one rule and get a warning. Doesn't seem just, when people with 10% can be good and get that warning taken off.

If you'll be 'read only' is it temporary or are you going to live with it forevever..or what? :suspicious:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think osmetimes they put it like youll be on "read only" for like a couple of months.. But some get it forever

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd hate to be on read only

SS.

Guest JohnUlmer

No, I agree with ARC that after a few months warnings should be gradually lowered. For example when I first signed up with MyGnrForum I made a good-humored post about an Axl sighting - it was to make fun of all the "I SAW AXL" posts that were (for some reason) bombarding the forum at that time, but without advance notice (no "please don't do this" or anything) I got slapped with a 10% warning. I still have it today. I don't care too much, but I don't really think I deserved it to begin with. Okay, my post might have been off-topic - maybe I should have posted it in Anything Goes - but I was a newb and it wasn't hateful or created in ill nature. It was a joke.

I just think because of situations such as these warnings should NOT be in place forever. I just think it would be nice if warnings were taken down notch by notch say every three months or so (providing there has been no instances of misbehavior since then).

Just a thought. I'm not trying to start anything. :)

No, I agree with ARC that after a few months warnings should be gradually lowered. For example when I first signed up with MyGnrForum I made a good-humored post about an Axl sighting - it was to make fun of all the "I SAW AXL" posts that were (for some reason) bombarding the forum at that time, but without advance notice (no "please don't do this" or anything) I got slapped with a 10% warning. I still have it today. I don't care too much, but I don't really think I deserved it to begin with. Okay, my post might have been off-topic - maybe I should have posted it in Anything Goes - but I was a newb and it wasn't hateful or created in ill nature. It was a joke.

I just think because of situations such as these warnings should NOT be in place forever. I just think it would be nice if warnings were taken down notch by notch say every three months or so (providing there has been no instances of misbehavior since then).

Just a thought. I'm not trying to start anything.  :)

But why remove them? I also have a 10% warning from when I first signed up, and it doesn't really bother me that it's still there. Obviously it's not a reflection on the sort of poster I am now -- but it's not a big deal if it stays.

You've also got to think -- if Admins/Global Mods were to reassess all members with a warning every three months, imagine the time it would take. They'd have to read over each member's posts, their warnings, then discuss those with other moderators -- pointless hassle, if you consider it. It's better just to leave them there, and if an issue with the member arises, then the previous warnings can be looked at when the time is right. ;)

(My personal view, not that of the forum)

Guest JohnUlmer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But why remove them? I also have a 10% warning from when I first signed up, and it doesn't really bother me that it's still there. Obviously it's not a reflection on the sort of poster I am now -- but it's not a big deal if it stays.

You've also got to think -- if Admins/Global Mods were to reassess all members with a warning every three months, imagine the time it would take. They'd have to read over each member's posts, their warnings, then discuss those with other moderators -- pointless hassle, if you consider it. It's better just to leave them there, and if an issue with the member arises, then the previous warnings can be looked at when the time is right. ;)

(My personal view, not that of the forum)

Good point. I guess it doesn't make much of a difference anyway...

By the way, can you help me out with my sig? The image won't show up. :huh: I thought it was because the file size was too large but I reduced it to under 20 kb and it's still not working. Any ideas?

Why are mods allowed to break the rules?

just curious,

Gunsguy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When have the mods ever broken the rules? :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Warnings should not be taken away. Warnings are given out to deter people from offending again. Now since you haven't been given another warning since, it seems to have worked to good effect. You should stop worrying about that warning. If you behave like you have for the past month or so, then its highly unlikely you'll ever receive another warning.

If you allow warnings to be written off after a few months of good behaviour by a member then in a sense they will have an infinite number of warnings. Therefore giving out warnings would be futile. Any member can behave well for a certain amount of time just to lose that warning and then go back to their 'old ways'.

I do believe the friendly warning system should be used more often though. In your case, it sounds like it was your first time you stepped out of line and it was only meant to be a satirical joke on other members. I think the friendly warning should have been used in that case.

On the other hand, it's difficult for all mods to know whether this was your first misbehaving. I don't know the full ins and outs of how the forum works, but it may be likely that mods do not share who they have sent 'friendly warnings' to, and so another mod will never know if you have been given one or not. This may have caused you to receive a warning without being given an original 'friendly warning'

:)

The warning shouldn't be lowereed because you broke the rules to get one in the first place. You need about 50% to get banned right so that's 5 chances basically. If you think your behaviour merits the warning level being taken down then you should have no concerns about using all of your 5 chances anyway.

There's just no disputing it.

The warning shouldn't be lowereed because you broke the rules to get one in the first place. You need about 50% to get banned right so that's 5 chances basically. If you think your behaviour merits the warning level being taken down then you should have no concerns about using all of your 5 chances anyway.

There's just no disputing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said as Admin said warnings are 99.9% final

SS.

99.9%? what about the other 0.01%??  Anyway about mids breaking the rules, jack99 for instance has links in his sig, that is a rule breaker, I got warn for it even though i was linking to a page on this site!

Gunsguy

Oh please. :rolleyes:

A mod having links to "Forum Search" and "FAQ" in his/her signature is hardly rule-breaking. What was your link to? A topic with a link to your forum in it?

Anyone with a shred of common sense can see that the links in Jack's sig are perfectly ok. It's been explained before -- so stop whinging.

99.9%? what about the other 0.01%??  Anyway about mids breaking the rules, jack99 for instance has links in his sig, that is a rule breaker, I got warn for it even though i was linking to a page on this site!

Gunsguy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh please. :rolleyes:

A mod having links to "Forum Search" and "FAQ" in his/her signature is hardly rule-breaking. What was your link to? A topic with a link to your forum in it?

Anyone with a shred of common sense can see that the links in Jack's sig are perfectly ok. It's been explained before -- so stop whinging.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so if a member has those links they wont get warned :huh:

SS.

AHHH! I just know that I'm going to break the rules! (Not on purpose or anything), but you say that they're easy to follow, they sound quite difficult. ( Betcha i don't stay innocent forever. ;)

PP

AHHH! I just know that I'm going to break the rules! (Not on purpose or anything), but you say that they're easy to follow, they sound quite difficult. ( Betcha i don't stay innocent forever. ;)

PP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're incredibly easy to follow. Most people that have been warned were just looking for trouble or persistently disobey the signature guidelines.