Guns N’ Roses’ “The Blues” reminiscent of epic “Use Your Illusion” Material

Axl-rocks

The Blues is easily the best tune we've heard so far.

Listening to the RIR version right now,the only thing that stops it from being great is Axl's comments and the very poor guitar sound...Richard played it better than Tobias IMO.

When I'm singing along to another version of The Blues, I always say "okay, nevermind!" at that part because I've heard it enough that it's just an automatic thing now. :o:lol:

And yeah, it's a great song. Easily the best new song the band has done. Better than NR or Estranged? I don't know if I'd say that, but it's up there. And that's good enough for me.

Edited by KBear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the RIR version right now,the only thing that stops it from being great is Axl's comments and the very poor guitar sound...Richard played it better than Tobias IMO.

When I'm singing along to another version of The Blues, I always say "okay, nevermind!" at that part because I've heard it enough that it's just an automatic thing now. :o:lol:

And yeah, it's a great song. Easily the best new song the band has done. Better than NR or Estranged? I don't know if I'd say that, but it's up there. And that's good enough for me.

I think it's up there,the only difference is the length IMO.

Axl's past epics are usually pretty long.

With some added layers and everything it could be a great epic song.

No! Doesn't need more layers. Should be kept very stripped down and simple, otherwise it'll turn into a bloated mess like November Rain.

The thing I like about The Blues is the focus on the simple piano line and Axl's voice. I quite like the guitar, and how it's used only sparingly. The solo is quite nice.

Just wish Axl still had his raspy/gritty voice from the illusions era. But I'm sure the vocals will sound much better in the studio version.

(btw, anyone else think the guitar riff is very Estranged-ish?)

As much as I prefer the old band, I'll take The Blues over NR any day. It's plays like an actual song and not a pretentious, overblown vanity project. Whoever said Axl should add more layers and synth--WTF?!!!

Should be a strong single...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

With some added layers and everything it could be a great epic song.

No! Doesn't need more layers. Should be kept very stripped down and simple, otherwise it'll turn into a bloated mess like November Rain.

The thing I like about The Blues is the focus on the simple piano line and Axl's voice. I quite like the guitar, and how it's used only sparingly. The solo is quite nice.

Just wish Axl still had his raspy/gritty voice from the illusions era. But I'm sure the vocals will sound much better in the studio version.

(btw, anyone else think the guitar riff is very Estranged-ish?)

Great post. I completely agree. If its morphed into a November Rain style epic, then he should just leave it off the album. In my opinion, The Blues is one of Axl's finest moments, and I hope he hasn't ruined it from having so long to touch it up.

I have only heard one copy of the blues in which a guy (not axl) is screeching and the music is horrible, can someone tell me where I can get this song , it sounds awesome.

What copy are you referring to?

I don't really know. It probably isn't even gnr singing it.

Could someone PLEASE tell me where I can find this song?

Check your inbox for the Pittsburgh version.

Ugh, it'd kill me if Axl overproduced this song, adding layers upon layers to it - That's the chief reason why I don't like November Rain: It's an overblown, cheesy, and pretentious song.

The Blues, with it's focus and relatively short length, packs more of a punch and just has a magical quality to it.

even my singing is like hell..."okay nevermind"...i know what you mean hahah :) i have also listen that much to this version..that i would miss it on the cd then :)

Yeah, me too. It's weird that isn't it?? :lol:

I think it was something to do with his wires, did you notice how he was fiddling with them and couldn't get them to where he wanted. the tech was taking ages about getting over there to help him out. Axl looked ready to kill :devil: If you know what i mean, i wouldn't have liked to have been in that guys shoes when Axl got offstage, he'd have been going the same way as slash and the rest, out the door.

Its not quite as good as the Illusion material though...

I don't know about that...The blues is a great song...

Buts its no NR or Estranged.

Agreed.

So what. It's a fuckin' good song.

The Blues is better than NR and Estranged IMO. Mainly because NR and Estranged are too long.

Edited by One Speed Bike

I have only heard one copy of the blues in which a guy (not axl) is screeching and the music is horrible, can someone tell me where I can get this song , it sounds awesome.

The Boston 2002 version of The Blues is the best in my opinion!

I have it, but am to lazy to upload it.

The Boston 2002 version of The Blues is the best in my opinion!

I have it, but am to lazy to upload it.

The sound quality of the Boston 2002 show is the best, although the RIR version is my fav, it was just ruined my Axl throwing his tantrums. The reason i liked the RIR version of the Blues is for the guitar sound towards the end. Just great!

Edited by dobadog

Guest JohnUlmer
As much as I prefer the old band, I'll take The Blues over NR any day. It's plays like an actual song and not a pretentious, overblown vanity project. Whoever said Axl should add more layers and synth--WTF?!!!

Should be a strong single...

Just for the ending...

I think with some more guitar layers and possibly vocal layers it could be even more powerful. The live version is awesome already. I LOVE the ending.

The Madison Square Gardens version is my favourite simply because of Brain's drum fill at the end of the piano break. It's so powerful, IMO.

Great song. That tune would have been number 1 back in 2001 when Kid Rock's "Only God Knows Why" had it's run. The song is certainly not outdated, but I think that it would have plugged in well at that time.

alot of people are coming up with march dates aren't they, merck says "this year" slash says "march"

well if it comes out in march hooray

the blues is a great song second only to madagascar imo great intro by diz and the semi dramatic outro where axl tops the piano good stuff

Like most of you, I've been ridiculed for being a GNR fan these past 14 years. However, ever since I heard The Blues on the RIR CD I've been telling people - if this album is ever released that will be the song that puts GNR back on the map. It's a great song, and considering we've only heard a live version with dicey, at best, sound quality and performance - that speaks volumes. Once we hear a recorded version I think it will kick serious ass and prove that W. Axl Rose still has what it takes.

I really, really hope that the album is released in March but I made a deal with myself long ago that I would not truly believe the album would ever be released until it is actually in my hands. Fool me once, Axl - shame on you. Fool me 87 times, shame on - well, you know the rest.