Guitar Playing in the New Material.

W. Axl Kev

Ok I'm not especially meaning Buckethead because he is now along side Slash and Duff etc. as a former member.

Richard Fortus and Robin Finck. How do you feel they are creatively in the new material. I feel the guitar playing is pretty standard to be honest. It doesn't have the same originality with the old material but this doesn't seem to be a bad thing. We can all hear the simple chord slide in 'IRS' and know that were it done by another band it would be nothing special but the music just combined with Axl just somehow becomes brilliant. In other words it's almost so good because it's so simple. 'Better' has an intense Nine Inch Nails influence - Anyone can hear that and whilst the chord shifting is not as dramatic as say 'Locomotive' it still is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's once again because of Axl's influence on the record but it just seems to click.

I'm sort of skimming around a point without succesfully making it. I always do that - Anyway if you get what I mean please tell me your thoughts.

Cheers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty awesome. I.R.S. is very well done, same with Catcher. Catcher however is simplistic. Better is well layered, and I agree, like NIN. TWAT is also simplistic, but good. I agree that although simplistic, the mixing and music and vocals goes together really well.

Guest RonMexico82

Am I the only one who is disappointed by Brian Mays contribution. Maybe its just cos of the shitty sound in the demo though...

Am I the only one who is disappointed by Brian Mays contribution. Maybe its just cos of the shitty sound in the demo though...

Brian May isn't the most skilled guitarist anyway, and this is from a huge Queen fan. He's good, but not all that technically proficient. Don't expect miracles. I mean, Navarro worked on OMG, and most fans hate it...

The guitar work isnt that sweet in IRS or Better. Catchet in the Rye and There was a Time have some good guitar playing, but more in CITR than TWAT. The solo at the end of TWAT repeats itself way to much.

Edited by sweetness

Some of the work in Better and IRS is as good as I've heard in any Guns' songs...

UK SUBS.

Methinks that any AFD guitar work sounds better than the new songs. :P

It's a matter of opinion, anyway.

Buckets' solo half was through IRS is not as good as the guitar work in the song "Anything Goes"? :question::rofl-lol:

Think about that for a second Niveen...

UK SUBS.

um, the dude who started the thread was talking about just Fortus and Finck. Bucket falls into the "former gunner" category already.

But if you're gonna pick on Anything Goes. Listen closely to the riff happening during the verses. That riff is kick ass!

The guitar work is all right, but not ground-breaking.

Catcher in the Rye: In a poppy song like this one, nobody wants nor expects original guitar work. It goes well with the melody, and that's all that really matters. That said, however, I would have liked to see what Brian May could have done with that guiar solo if he'd been given some more time allowance.

TWAT: OK, so it's mainly Buckethead, but I think it's sadly unoriginal and uninspired. Half the time in the far-too-long outro he's just stealing Axl's vocal melodies and playing them with that shredding style that starts to grind very quickly.

Better: The best guitar work of the lot. Quite industrial, but thankfully avoiding that NIN's sound - i.e. "where's the fuckin' off switch!?" That said, the solo is pretty uninspired and the fact that Axl mimics the guitar melody at the beginning and end with "no-one ever told me when..." just sounds stupid.

IRS: Uninspired and simplistic.

The Blues: Uninspired and crying out for a Slash solo.

Madagascar: Is there even any guitar in there? :rolleyes:

The guitar work is all right, but not ground-breaking.

Catcher in the Rye: In a poppy song like this one, nobody wants nor expects original guitar work. It goes well with the melody, and that's all that really matters. That said, however, I would have liked to see what Brian May could have done with that guiar solo if he'd been given some more time allowance.

TWAT: OK, so it's mainly Buckethead, but I think it's sadly unoriginal and uninspired. Half the time in the far-too-long outro he's just stealing Axl's vocal melodies and playing them with that shredding style that starts to grind very quickly.

Better: The best guitar work of the lot. Quite industrial, but thankfully avoiding that NIN's sound - i.e. "where's the fuckin' off switch!?" That said, the solo is pretty uninspired and the fact that Axl mimics the guitar melody at the beginning and end with "no-one ever told me when..." just sounds stupid.

IRS: Uninspired and simplistic.

The Blues: Uninspired and crying out for a Slash solo.

Madagascar: Is there even any guitar in there? :rolleyes:

I gotta agree with you on this one. Good but not great and certainly not up to the hype of three supposed high powered guitarist. If these are rough drafts with more refining and mixing then the guitars are good.. as a finished product HMMMMM.... still better than 99% of the corporate crap on the market these days.Am I the only one that gets a feeling like these songs lack...soul? substance? I don't know what the word is but something is misssing.......... they don't feel like songs sweated and labored over for 13 years. They don't sound like songs that busted up the most exciting band since Led Zeppelin dove and Queen hit the skids......

I've been listening to AFD this afternoon... The guitars on this album will always blow my mind ! Slash and Izzy did a fantastic job !

I really like the new songs, but not because of the guitars... They fall short of being as powerful as in AFD ! :(

if they made the guitar a little more powerful during the solo and the na na's in citr, it would be great,

meanwhile i'd rate irs with one in a million,

so lemme rephrase this

if i could place these songs on gnr's material, here's where i'd put them

irs-lies

cd-llas(because of the simplistic nature, like most,if not all of llas)

maddy-uyi 2-reminds me alot of breakdown, 14 years, yesterdays,ect

the blues-shove it right in for nr

better-hard to place,but i'd have to put it over breakdown, cept at times breakdown gets a little repetitive

twat-estranged, no way around it

rhiad-afd power to it, with afd power vocals, if we ever get a studio mix i think rhiad will be up there

citr-this fits since i don't have you or est/nr

omg-a tsi song, just on how different it is

silkworms-my world,with a little more promise

Edited by Bucketslash

Bucketheads solo after Axls scream about 3/4 way trhough IRS is easily the best solo ive ever heard come from a GNR solo, one of Buckets finer peices.

Appetite for Wait, your "reviews' are a load of shit. I could copy and paste those exact words and put it next to any song, and it would make a little sense, and still spark an arguement.

Take your head out of your ass, and widen your listening range music wise, because by the look of that shit, you don't know a damn thing.

Edited by Anagram Of Oral Sex

...........is the correct answer!(shh, don't tell Slash fans! )

UK SUBS.

It just annoys me that people still think GNR is nothing without Slash and Izzy. Bullshit, GNR had 3, and now has 2 guitarists that are just as talented if not more than Slash, and Izzy combined. Along with Brain and Tommy GNR has never had such a talented group of musicians. They all had/have their own solo stuff to back it up as well. Especially Brain, and Tommy.

great things are to come from greap people.

Edited by Anagram Of Oral Sex

It just annoys me that people still think GNR is nothing without Slash and Izzy. Bullshit, GNR had 3, and now has 2 guitarists that are just as talented if not more than Slash, and Izzy combined. Along with Brain and Tommy GNR has never had such a talented group of musicians.

That's reaching..

-Kickingthehabit

On an interesting side note I recieved an email from Richard tonight. I mailed him months ago and forgot - He is my favourite member in the band right now (aside from Axl obviously). Anyway here is what he said:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to email me. My appologies for not writing

sooner, I'm quite back-logged with emails. Thanks for all of your kind

words. I hope you get the chance to see us this summer while we are in

Europe. I hope that ChiDem is all you hope it will be!

thanks for your support,

richard

Cool guy B) I can't believe I was contacted by the guitarist of my favourite band :shocked:

*Ahem* on topic people! :laugh:

I dont understand every one strats to judge these unmixed demos the guitar work might be mixed around or redone who why judge it now i know we got nothing but the leaks and we have waited so fucking long for these but all sings point to the album being here soon so why not just grab the new chilli peppers album for now then come back whae chinese dem comes out.

I agree with the person who said madagascar and the blues were average. the guitar playing in madagascar is crasp. It is begging for a solo or two to be added in, because quite simply, there is no solo.

the Blues...has potential, but it has such a weird sounding guitar riff, from finck. With a few tweaks and perhaps an extra verse, similar to the ones in better, would really take the song up a notch.