Guitar Playing in the New Material.

W. Axl Kev

That's reaching..

-Kickingthehabit

You don't have to be a world class artist to start your own band, but what do your qualifications have to be to join the once greatest band in the world?

If we were to consider the 2002 tour, the most apparent qualifications were one's ability to play another bands material. We call that a cover band..

It is, however, rather ironic considering that there are cover bands that sound more like Guns N' Roses than Axl's current.. line-up, if you will.

And, you referred to them as.. a band. Interesting..

"Axl talked about the fact that Buckethead and Finck hadn’t met before rehearsals for December 31st, 2000 and that was a problem."

http://www.gnrontour.com/sets2001/20011229reviews.html

Doesn't seem like a band to me.. :unsure:

-Kickingthehabit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's reaching..

-Kickingthehabit

You don't have to be a world class artist to start your own band, but what do your qualifications have to be to join the once greatest band in the world?

"Axl talked about the fact that Buckethead and Finck hadn’t met before rehearsals for December 31st, 2000 and that was a problem."

-Kickingthehabit

That was more than five years ago, and Buckethead is no longer in the band. Even after the fact that they hadn't met, they sounded great :shades:

I agree with the person who said madagascar and the blues were average. the guitar playing in madagascar is crasp.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Oh shit that's funny man. I am so glad you made that spelling error 'cause it made for comedy. :laugh: Crasp!

Anyway I disagree. 'Madagascar' in my opinion is one of the great songs we've heard so far from Axl Rose. There is a solo during the quotes. I'm positive that on the record the solo will be on top of the mix instead of the quotes.

'The Blues' is quite a cheesy song to be honest. It's good no doubt about it but I think it has nothing on 'There Was A Time' or 'Catcher in the Rye'.

That's reaching..

-Kickingthehabit

-Kickingthehabit

That was more than five years ago, and Buckethead is no longer in the band. Even after the fact that they hadn't met, they sounded great :shades:

This is a different band, different guitar players.. personally I believe AFD has one of the best guitar work of all time, I dont think you can compare the music styles of both bands, the new guitarrists have their own playing music style, focusin in fink an fortus, I think they are perfect for the job, new songs are constructed with a different aproach than previous guns records, and new GnR Rocks!! im 33 years old, I was a fan since AFD came out and I love it then and I love the new songs too, and I have to consider that slash left because he didnt like the music Axl wanted to explore, and VR are great, but Slash's playing sounds dated to me, a classical hard rock guitar player, and its ok, theres nothing wrong with that, slash rocks, he is the reason why I started playin guitar, what Im trying to say in my opinion is that slash playing could hardly fit in the new songs, just an opinion, but again, is pointless to compare one guitar player with another, IMO Robin, Richard and Buckett did a Great job in this songs, regardless of AFD and the Ilusions.

The guitar parts on Better and IRS are very, very simple power chords. Consider the verse in Better uses only about three power chords. Robin Finck's breaks on IRS and There Was a Time are very easy to play...I suggest you look for tabs...kind of like a Frusciante-style of simplicity that makes the most of each note. You won't get the same sound b/c the guitars used were most likely very expensive (unless you have a $4,000 Paul Reed Smith lying around), but a good pull on the acoustic will help you achieve results to a lesser extent. However, I must say that Buckethead's solos and sections are difficult to play...he's one fast son-of-a-b!

I like the sound and progression of all the guitar work so far.

Better is extremely catchy, especially the intro.

Catcher is cool, yet I do seem to hear some things, such as in the solo, that I don't believe are really there "yet". A slight tweak here or there could pull this track over the top for me. "It is a just demo, right?"

IRS has a hard and gritty sound. I'm not sure what more could be done to bring this track to greater apex.

TWAT is what it is. I like it that way. If it changes on the studio cut I hope it's a mild change here or there.

To compare it AFD is natural yet pointless if your a long time Gunner hungering for fresh material. AFD is one of those One In A Life Time compilations. And one must realize that if they can.

If the big guns are still locked and loaded then we'll get an extra couple surprises...We're going to have to find the right guitarist to fit the current groove of our band. That's essential. However, I'm pretty confident that r ob in & fortus could be in control and handle it well enough...

peace.

HGZ

rock3

BUckethead is a great guitarist, but not so high on Robin. Sometimes it seems like he is trying to make the song worse.

Bucket is the masters puppet... :P gotta love'em

The thing about r ob in I like most is that for some reason

his guitar style and sound reminds of Jimmy Page...I think it's that guitar solo he

played during the 2k2 tour and the white silk suit that he always wore.

jmo

BUckethead is a great guitarist, but not so high on Robin. Sometimes it seems like he is trying to make the song worse.

Bucket is the masters puppet... :P gotta love'em

The thing about r ob in I like most is that for some reason

his guitar style and sound reminds of Jimmy Page...I think it's that guitar solo he

played during the 2k2 tour and the white silk suit that he always wore.

jmo

I get more off the CC Devile "I suck" vibe

Consider the verse in Better uses only about three power chords.

the rhythm is cool as fuck, the strumming pattern is brill.

also in TWAT, the 'shred' parts are quite breathtaking and I would like to see them extended as they fit in great.

Edited by NEU-YORK

I agree with the person who said madagascar and the blues were average. the guitar playing in madagascar is crasp.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Oh shit that's funny man. I am so glad you made that spelling error 'cause it made for comedy. :laugh: Crasp!

Anyway I disagree. 'Madagascar' in my opinion is one of the great songs we've heard so far from Axl Rose. There is a solo during the quotes. I'm positive that on the record the solo will be on top of the mix instead of the quotes.

'The Blues' is quite a cheesy song to be honest. It's good no doubt about it but I think it has nothing on 'There Was A Time' or 'Catcher in the Rye'.

But there actually isn't a solo underneat those quotes. I think roses remaster did madagascar without quotes and crowd noise, and that part without the quotes is awful. Its the same 2 notes repeated. Apart from the lack of solo, the song is class.

Haha crasp, that was actually quite funny.

Not as funny as the guy who thought Gilby Clarke was called 'Rigby Clarke'. He goes down as a legend.

Bucketheads solo after Axls scream about 3/4 way trhough IRS is easily the best solo ive ever heard come from a GNR solo, one of Buckets finer peices.

Appetite for Wait, your "reviews' are a load of shit. I could copy and paste those exact words and put it next to any song, and it would make a little sense, and still spark an arguement.

Take your head out of your ass, and widen your listening range music wise, because by the look of that shit, you don't know a damn thing.

I could copy and paste your response to my review, put it next to any post on this forum, and it would make little sense and still spark an argument.

Just for reference, my listening range is huge - all genres of rock, hip hop, dance, pop. I don't disriminate on the grounds of genre like many people on this forum do.

And the reviews makes little sense? Hmm, lets see:

- Are you denying that all Buckethead's doing is staling Axl's vocal melodies in TWAT and playing them on the guitar?

- Are you denying that the guitar work in IRS is uninspired, unoriginal and - UK SUBS you need to get your ears tested - simplistic? Bury your heads under the nugnr covers if you want to, but the fact is that any old idiot could write that solo that Buckethead plays.

I love the current GNR line-up. But let's face up to one thing: ALL THE NEW MATERIAL IS CRYING OUT FOR SOME SLASH-INSPIRED RIFFS AND GUITAR WORK. If I were Axl I'd have been on my knees at Slash's front door the second that Buckethead, Finck or Fortus started contributing their uninspired mediocrity in the studio.

We're all starved and emanciated GNR fans here. We're bound to like the new material. The fact is, I must have played it to 30 mates over the last few months, and their responses have been one-and-the-same: decisively average! The melody's are fine and sometimes awesome - so, hmm, I wonder what the problem could possibly be!?

IRS has a hard and gritty sound. I'm not sure what more could be done to bring this track to greater apex.

Good post mate but I've just quoted the bit I want to discuss. 'IRS' is a brilliant song. No denying it but if anything they need to take Axl's voice out of the mix. It is buried in there pretty good and even though we have a clear version now, we can still only make out the lyrics to the same extent as we did when the terrible rough version leaked last year.

Not as funny as the guy who thought Gilby Clarke was called 'Rigby Clarke'. He goes down as a legend.

:laugh: Agreed.

I also agree with the guy who said the songs are crying out for Slash solos and melodies. That is so true. It would be foolish to deny Buckethead's talent but the solos all seem a bit emotionless to me. The whole 'Waah' Slash type playing may have been slightly repetitive but it just fits so well with Axl's vocals. I'm not gonna conclude that we need Slash back because I think Finck and Fortus are very able guitarists but I just think if they replace Buckethead's parts with Finck/Fortus solos we will have a more emotional record.

What's missing is memorable riffage like Don't damn me, brownstone,etc and soulful solos. The one solo with soul probably is the last one on "Better" that's a great solo. I love bucket's jam on TWAT, it's just perfect....too perfect...if that makes sense. Kind of like comparing Steven Adler's drumming to Sorum's, Sorum is perfectly on time and can hold a beat like a metronome, but somehow you just prefer Adler. THe same way I would have preferred a Slash rendition of that last jam...kind of like his work on the Locomotive outro.....

I've come to the conclusion that Axl needs slash as much as slash needs axl. These two bring out the best in each other. Catcher in the Rye is a great song and the guitar work from Brian May fits comfortably in the background....that's the way it is in all the songs, the guitar work fits the song....but it doesn't move you or make your eyes pop out of your skull and press the rewind button again and again the same way you did when you heard Slash's solos on estranged or the outro on locomotive....

It just depends on what you prefer, but I think there is an argument to be made for the new songs lacking soul. They DO seem a little too "studio". These are demos mind you. A polished, cleaned up studio version...may be an entirely different beast altogether....

so to surmise, the solos and riffs work well in context with the song and they do the band justice. kudos to the band for not letting the ex-gunners down. Can they transcend the material? Hell no. But the old band could and they did...elevating axl's songs to greatness with memorable basslines and solos. And that my friends...is the difference between a great legendary band...and a good studio band. Both are talented...but the former is an entirely different league altogether.

Catcher in the Rye: Sounds great. It's an arena rock song, and Brian's guitar work is brilliant IMO, it's simple, but very memorable. Just like 97% of Queen songs.

TWAT: The last three minutes of guitar are superb, both rythm and lead etc. The best solo, isn't Bucket's, but Finck's more melodic one, very inspired and brilliant.

Better: Very good transitions etc. Great solos, good structure. Gets a bit heavy, but not too heavy.

IRS: Also not bad at all. I agree this isn't special, but it's a good rocker in the vein of "Out ta Get Me" for AFD, simple, not great, but very nice, great solo and the instrumental version proves that the guitar isn't bad.

The Blues: THE BEST BY FAR! A stunning solo and a brilliant song. A studio version of this song might be the best thing Guns have EVER put out. The guitar work is very emotional and inspired, all the work of Mr. Robin Finck. Bucket, as much as I love him, just can't put in as much emotion and inspiration into his guitar.

Madagascar: The worst from a guitar standpoint, quite uninspired actually. I love the song, but this needs work.

The thing about robin I like most is that for some reason

his guitar style and sound reminds of Jimmy Page...

That's beyond belief... :blink:

Think about it Al,

Jimmy was very sloppy live yet he

always seemed to pull it together

and mak everthing fit. That's how

r ob in sounds to me.

Fincks 2k2 solo seemed to be ripped

straight from the JP handbook. It was

bluesy and complex.

jmo Al.