Can Axl pass off 'Techno-Industrial' as Rock N' Roll?

W. Axl Kev

I find it hard to categorise Guns N' Roses into any particular type of rock/metal music. So now Axl wants to go techno-industrial and I'll say... it rocks. But does our loyalty to Axl cloud our view on what this music really is?

Is it the fresh start we've been waiting on or is it merely a mix of Limp Bizkit & NIN with Axl Rose singing? I was just listening to 'Oh My God' & 'Better' which are very techo-industrial song and I was wondering... will the public buy into this? What do they expect to hear? Music is always changing nowadays and leave something for less than 2 years and it becomes dated so I'm wondering where Guns fit in exactly?

Of course it would be better to make a judgement call after the record is released but from what you've heard already do you think Axl's music is going to sound fresh to people or dated?

Cheers.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Better sounds techno-industrial, but even if it was, I don't think that's the direction Axl is going. To me, it seems as if Axl is going to place a lot of emphasis on the mix of guitar and instrumental sounds, like Catcher in the Rye and The Blues, without making them as bloated as Estranged or November Rain. That's just my opinion, though.

if 'emo' can become the number 1 type of rock music, a 44 year old with braids and huge jerseys can easily make a techno/electronic/industrial rock thing be huge. again.

in all seriousness, the people just want something hard to rock to, they don't care if theres effects. and if they do, 1/2 the indie bands use mass amounts of synths, so it's not a big deal.

my personal opinion is, oh my god was killed by the music!, those lyrics are mind blowing good!........i think axl could win over a new generation with classic gnr blusy sound, Industrial has run it's race, it's already dying in the ass!, i know the axe man likes that type of music, but he likes alot of different types !, he should go with whats goingto give him the most success! new fans........what made him big in the first place!........massive piano ballards and blusy rockNroll, but in saying that...... i love better? so take that how you please.

it's a hard question to answer!, maybe axl's gotta do what he's most passionate about, it will shine through in his music then!.

THe chorus of TWAT is old schooll like Queen.... but

what i heard already , i think Axl's music sound fresh thats amazing i love the olds songs but they sound old , so i amazing heard GNR wif some new elements .

Edited by KIKOZ3

I haven't heard anything that I would classify as techo/industrial since "Oh My God" back in 1999. Based on everything we've heard since then, I'm not too worried about any overt techno/industrial influence on GNR's next cd. Remember that was a phase Axl was going thru. Most of what the songwriting team of Tobias/Reed/Rose wrote around that time has probably been put on the back burner.

he should go with whats goingto give him the most success!

No, he should go with what makes him happy. Only then will he be truly successfull.

yeah i agree he should do what makes him happy!..........happy has a different meaning then successfull!, i also think power ballards and rock music still make axl happy!, i could be wrong!.......i think he might want a mix! in one hand he knows what works!.......in the other....something unknown! mix it up!

i also think axl wants to prove alot of people wrong with this!, just giving my opinion on what would be the best way to sell records, as i said before, i think i'll like this new album even if it has some industrial on it, i've loved all the demo's so far, just have to wait and see what axl does, none of us here are experts after all.

No, he should go with what makes him happy. Only then will he be truly successfull.

yeah i agree he should do what makes him happy!..........happy has a different meaning then successfull!, i also think power ballards and rock music still make axl happy!, i could be wrong!.......i think he might want a mix! in one hand he knows what works!.......in the other....something unknown! mix it up!

i also think axl wants to prove alot of people wrong with this!, just giving my opinion on what would be the best way to sell records, as i said before, i think i'll like this new album even if it has some industrial on it, i've loved all the demo's so far, just have to wait and see what axl does, none of us here are experts after all.

I think 'Better' and 'There Was A Time' are perfect examples on the direction Axl should take now (well-in my opinion). They just sound more modern and interesting to me than most GN'R songs from the past. Axl's new and stylistic approach to 'Rock' really captivates me. It seems to be successfully versatile in form. To be honest, I've moved on from old GN'R's 'sound'. I much prefer this new 'sound'. (I don't care how much I get flamed for this)

Edited by IndiannaRose

I think 'Better' is as far as he was going with adding in a different sound. You can tell from all the leaks that the others are much less..'techno' and I think it's just enough to make it fresh and have a different edge. I don't think anyone has to worry about this album being Pretty Hate Machine or something (A great album but not what we expect from Guns)

From the current leaks alone I think the songs sound very organic and if these are an indication of what CD will be like, Axl has a winner in my opinion. I love this monkey--> :monkey:

I think 'Better' and 'There Was A Time' are perfect examples on the direction Axl should take now (well-in my opinion). They just sound more modern and interesting to me than most GN'R songs from the past. Axl's new and stylistic approach to 'Rock' really captivates me. It seems to be successfully versatile in form. To be honest, I've moved on from old GN'R's 'sound'. I much prefer this new 'sound'. (I don't care how much I get flamed for this)

well.......i'm loving better and all the demo's.......i'm hoping for something a little harder on the album, it's the only thing i think is missing at the moment, i do miss those really hard blusy rock tracks.

i still love old gnr and always will, but i aslo love the new sound, it does sound fresh!..........in opinion he should mix old and new, axl give me another locomotive man, you could be mine!

Better is a heavy metal song with an industrial riff that comes on twice, it's not 'techno-industrial'.

Oh My God has nothing to do with techno, it is an industrial rock song.

Two songs out of 32 said tracks is NOT techno-industrial direction for Axl.

Most definitely - These songs have such life to them, but they feel really versatile. He's really bending pop-rock around the edges to get something new and interesting, and if he's got more songs that sound like Better, OMG, and Catcher in the Rye, I say bring it on.

He did it with My World and it sucked BALLS. If he does it with the magority of this album he wont be able to pass it off as Rock N' Roll, keyboards are NOT Rock N' Roll.

But I can see some of Axls loyal fans still likeing it, because it is his work. :rolleyes:

He did it with My World and it sucked BALLS.
My World is a piece of shit, it's not even a song. I really hope you don't even take it seriously...

Just wondering about your sig though...have any other members completely written a song by themselves?

To date I've completely enjoyed nearly 90 to 95% of everything

our dear old uncle axl has done thus far.

Every time I hear something new I get even more intrigued.

If there happens to be a track on the album that turns out to

be crap I won't hesitate to admit it. Thank goodness that

opportunity has not presented itself yet and I hope it never

does.

Axl is a pro and I believe he knows what he's doing. When I

recall what other Rockers have said about him regarding his song

writing skills it just reaffirms everything.

peace,

HGZ

He did it with My World and it sucked BALLS. If he does it with the magority of this album he wont be able to pass it off as Rock N' Roll, keyboards are NOT Rock N' Roll.

But I can see some of Axls loyal fans still likeing it, because it is his work. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because you define what Rock N' Roll is supposed to be :rolleyes:. For your information, rock did start before 1986, and oh yes, keyboards and organs were used in plenty of rock bands.

Your whole post is retarded. My World isn't exactly techno-industrial, just so you know. Axl doesn't want to "pass his album off" as Rock N' Roll. He's just making a damn album, attempting to create his own music. Musicians tend to do that.

what are the songs that were more succesfull for GNR??? Paradise City, SCOM, WTTJ, NR, Estranged, Patience, RQ, YCBM, Dont Cry.... it was not Breackdown, Dead Horse, the Garden.... i think people are waiting new stuff in that direction, in the direction where the big hits were.

keyboards are NOT Rock N' Roll.

Wagner is more "rock N' roll" than guns n' roses will ever be :angry:

I personally think that kazoos add a "rock feel" to a song, this, of course based on Shannon Hoon's useage of them in his fourth track of the second album "Soup." Please remember that Shannon was a good friend of Axl and some myths concerning them (most of them started by me ironically) state they they are unequivically half cousins of the 10th string dating back to the vikings in the 2nd century B.C. The fact that Hoon used the line "turn their ribs into coffee tables" also gives rise to connections he has with underground occult rituals concerning interior design, which, as we all know is affiliated with the Rock Titan, Jimmy Page.

Henceforth I suggest that anyone that "really" wants to call themself a "Rock n' Roll Star" should check out their local 5 and 10 store and buy a packet of Kazoos and headbang while you play. Ironically another myth surrounding this action relates the feeling when headbanging and kazoos collide closely related to the feeling that you are on Benzadrine and Heroine simultaneously. This, as we all must know by now, is a rock and roll goldmine burning I.Q. points, a habit quite conventional in local circles across China and San Fransisco. Fuck you William Burroughs.

Edited by stevGNR666