Can Axl pass off 'Techno-Industrial' as Rock N' Roll?

W. Axl Kev

Hunter S. Thompson has left the building. Y'know that previous post actually made more sense than Axl's press release for the song "Oh My God". GNR are true rock stars based on your test, as they play kazoos at the beginning and end of Human Being on TSI...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keyboards are NOT Rock N' Roll.

Wagner is more "rock N' roll" than guns n' roses will ever be :angry:

I personally think that kazoos add a "rock feel" to a song, this, of course based on Shannon Hoon's useage of them in his fourth track of the second album "Soup." Please remember that Shannon was a good friend of Axl and some myths concerning them (most of them started by me ironically) state they they are unequivically half cousins of the 10th string dating back to the vikings in the 2nd century B.C. The fact that Hoon used the line "turn their ribs into coffee tables" also gives rise to connections he has with underground occult rituals concerning interior design, which, as we all know is affiliated with the Rock Titan, Jimmy Page.

Henceforth I suggest that anyone that "really" wants to call themself a "Rock n' Roll Star" should check out their local 5 and 10 store and buy a packet of Kazoos and headbang while you play. Ironically another myth surrounding this action relates the feeling when headbanging and kazoos collide closely related to the feeling that you are on Benzadrine and Heroine simultaneously. This, as we all must know by now, is a rock and roll goldmine burning I.Q. points, a habit quite conventional in local circles across China and San Fransisco. Fuck you William Burroughs.

Awesome Post!

It's just music. Rock n Roll is loose term. When I think of rock n roll I think of Chuck Berry. When I think of GNR I really think of Metal. AFD was Sunset Strip meets Metallica and Thrash. It was like these metalllers discovered The Rolling Stones. UYI seemed to really go for Queen meets The Sex Pistols. And then GNR was done...until Axl has started to come back with these songs which sound even more like just GNR. That's what's cool now the new band is making music that only really sounds like GNR.

And if you think about it there arent many Idustrial Rock N Roll bands around. The techno Rolling Stones.

It's okay to dabble. But if he pulls that shit with the entire album, ill be pissed. :fuckyou:

yeah i'd me mega pissed :fuckyou:

I don't think it's going to be on the whole CD, listen to CITR, TWAT and the blues and madagascar they don't sound like Techno-Industrial to me.

Edited by Axl-rocks

I think 'Better' and 'There Was A Time' are perfect examples on the direction Axl should take now (well-in my opinion). They just sound more modern and interesting to me than most GN'R songs from the past. Axl's new and stylistic approach to 'Rock' really captivates me. It seems to be successfully versatile in form. To be honest, I've moved on from old GN'R's 'sound'. I much prefer this new 'sound'. (I don't care how much I get flamed for this)

I completely agree. To me these songs do sound fresh and they are what I've been waiting for from Axl. Were Axl to release an album full of 'Breakdowns' and 'Out Ta Get Me's I'd be feeling a bit miffed. It would be like Axl never moved forward at all and time was largley wasted making a record that he could have recorded with Slash & Duff in 2 weeks. I like to think that after all this time Axl has progressed musicaly and the songs like 'Better' and 'I.R.S' have shown this to me. People say 'I.R.S' is traditional Guns N' Roses - I think otherwise, it's a new type of rock with shredding guitar and a neat little riff.

It is clear that Axl was experimenting with some tunes like 'Silkworms' and 'Riyadh and the Bedouins' but that's because Axl knows he can't release another AFD. Basically the new musical direction works for me and if people don't like it that's fine but you have to expect more tunes like 'Better' on the record, in my opinion.

i c your point, but, one of the main strengths in the guys music is the variety of it, i do think cd will have a wide range of tunes on it, wrote across a larger period of time. Id be suprised if we dont get that.

I think after the album is released axl will be regarded as one of the best writers of rock ballards of all time. Something tells me there is more than just citr, twat etc on this album in the long ballard type of songs.

But i also think some shorter heavier tracks will be included, better and chi dem for example.

keyboards are NOT Rock N' Roll.

Wagner is more "rock N' roll" than guns n' roses will ever be :angry:

I personally think that kazoos add a "rock feel" to a song, this, of course based on Shannon Hoon's useage of them in his fourth track of the second album "Soup." Please remember that Shannon was a good friend of Axl and some myths concerning them (most of them started by me ironically) state they they are unequivically half cousins of the 10th string dating back to the vikings in the 2nd century B.C. The fact that Hoon used the line "turn their ribs into coffee tables" also gives rise to connections he has with underground occult rituals concerning interior design, which, as we all know is affiliated with the Rock Titan, Jimmy Page.

Henceforth I suggest that anyone that "really" wants to call themself a "Rock n' Roll Star" should check out their local 5 and 10 store and buy a packet of Kazoos and headbang while you play. Ironically another myth surrounding this action relates the feeling when headbanging and kazoos collide closely related to the feeling that you are on Benzadrine and Heroine simultaneously. This, as we all must know by now, is a rock and roll goldmine burning I.Q. points, a habit quite conventional in local circles across China and San Fransisco. Fuck you William Burroughs.

Awesome Post!

Thanks Charles, although it appears I wrote this really late last night and it's quite a fog to me actually thinking these things...

Even back in the day... GN'R was about taking those elements of Led Zeppelin, The Stones, The Sex Pistols, ACDC, etc. that people loved, packaging them all together in a cutting edge way and then adding their own "FUCK YOU" attitude to come up with a very original and authentic, but derivative mix. The Illusions albums brought in some Floyd and Elton John elements. Now Axl's adding a touch of NIN/Moby (emo) and Pearl Jam/Soundgarden ingredients to the recipe. If it still comes off as being "authentic" and something Axl and the band have their 100% heart and soul behind... then the public will eat it up just like the back catalog. If it comes across as ... "oh shit.. the kids are in to loops these days.... better add a loop here..." then it will be laughed it. I think that's a major reason why he's taking his time with this... he wants it to sound modern... but he also wants it to be genuine. Not easily done for a product of the 80's sunset strip scene... but I would be encouraged so far... after a couple listens... the leaks sound like a logical progression from the UYI albums to me.

He did it with My World and it sucked BALLS.

My World is a piece of shit, it's not even a song. I really hope you don't even take it seriously...

Just wondering about your sig though...have any other members completely written a song by themselves?

My sig is in responce to all of the people saying "Axl is GNR". My World is the only old GNR song that the other members had nothing to do with. By that I mean they didnt play in the song (besides some no-name keyboardist), so I use that as an example to back up why I dont think "Axl is GNR". Kapeesh? (or however you spell it)

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, I just really hate keyboards and I think they sound rediculous.

I think there is a place for keyboards in rock. Like Trampled Underfoot by Zepp. In fact use anything if it sounds cool.

Capote says in that new movie "Sometimes when I think how good my book could be I can't breathe."

That's how feel about CD.

I could sort of Imagine how Axl would use technology to make an album like Physical Graphiti. It's weird to see Total Guitar start to come out with these grandiose statements cos it seems like they are at least five years too late.

sweetness,

I'm not familiar with your posts in the past, but I just want to point out that I don't think for a minute AXL thinks HE WAS GN'R. Some of his real nutswinging fans may think that, but I honestly feel he has a healthy respect for the old band and what they brought to the table creatively and performance wise. I think he felt the need to wrestle control of the band away from the others because he thought they were on a self-destructive path- both physically (drugs, booze) and professionally (a general "head in the sand" approach to the alternative/grunge revolution)... BUT NOT because he thought they were shitty musicians or easily replacable. If nothing else, the fact that he's taken so damn long with this album demonstrates a pretty healthy respect on his part for the fact that GN'R sustained some MAJOR losses when Slash, Duff and Izzy walked out the door... the kind of losses where you don't just hire three other schmucks and turn the page...

sweetness,

I'm not familiar with your posts in the past, but I just want to point out that I don't think for a minute AXL thinks HE WAS GN'R. Some of his real nutswinging fans may think that, but I honestly feel he has a healthy respect for the old band and what they brought to the table creatively and performance wise. I think he felt the need to wrestle control of the band away from the others because he thought they were on a self-destructive path- both physically (drugs, booze) and professionally (a general "head in the sand" approach to the alternative/grunge revolution)... BUT NOT because he thought they were shitty musicians or easily replacable. If nothing else, the fact that he's taken so damn long with this album demonstrates a pretty healthy respect on his part for the fact that GN'R sustained some MAJOR losses when Slash, Duff and Izzy walked out the door... the kind of losses where you don't just hire three other schmucks and turn the page...

:o

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly how I feel.

Better is a heavy metal song with an industrial riff that comes on twice, it's not 'techno-industrial'.

Oh My God has nothing to do with techno, it is an industrial rock song.

Two songs out of 32 said tracks is NOT techno-industrial direction for Axl.

Agree

well for me I don't think Axl is GnR on his own, I mean if he was he wouldn't of replaced the members.

I think without Axl there would of been no GnR cos he is the soul of it, when most people think of GnR , they think of Axl. That's why Axl gets the most shares out of all their sales.

But they all had a part it it for sure. I think Axl and izzy were the main ones, because if you look at all the lyrics, most of them were written by Axl and Izzy. Slash came next followed by Duff, followed by Steven. I think Steven contributed the less out of them all. Anyway that's my opinion.

sweetness,

And thats exactly what I am refuring to. I couldnt agree more with your post. :)

But although Axl has respect for the band he didn't support their idea for what should be done with Guns. To be honest what Axl was saying was a bit out of left field. And what's weird is that really listening to the Leaks nothing much has changed. Although it must be said that Slash didnt wanna work on Nov Rain etc. So the two directions were completely different. Axl - carry on with epic ballads, introduced new sounds influences. Slash - go back to AFD style (which was still present on UYI).

But the "Axl is GNR" is a valid point cos he did reject all other members version or plan for GNR and now he stands alone as the holder of the torch. He may he be responisible for GNR's commercial success because without SCOM and Nov Rain I think GNR wouldn't be the same band.

But I think Axl's professional relationship with band members is different from his personal relationship with them.

He did it with My World and it sucked BALLS.

My World is a piece of shit, it's not even a song. I really hope you don't even take it seriously...

Just wondering about your sig though...have any other members completely written a song by themselves?

My sig is in responce to all of the people saying "Axl is GNR". My World is the only old GNR song that the other members had nothing to do with. By that I mean they didnt play in the song (besides some no-name keyboardist), so I use that as an example to back up why I dont think "Axl is GNR". Kapeesh? (or however you spell it)

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, I just really hate keyboards and I think they sound rediculous.

I don't think Axl = GnR, either.

Also, I do enjoy keyboards, but on a 'song' like My World or Silkworms, it's just complete shit.

But although Axl has respect for the band he didn't support their idea for what should be done with Guns. To be honest what Axl was saying was a bit out of left field. And what's weird is that really listening to the Leaks nothing much has changed. Although it must be said that Slash didnt wanna work on Nov Rain etc. So the two directions were completely different. Axl - carry on with epic ballads, introduced new sounds influences. Slash - go back to AFD style (which was still present on UYI).

But the "Axl is GNR" is a valid point cos he did reject all other members version or plan for GNR and now he stands alone as the holder of the torch. He may he be responisible for GNR's commercial success because without SCOM and Nov Rain I think GNR wouldn't be the same band.

But I think Axl's professional relationship with band members is different from his personal relationship with them.

I agree, and if you think about it, Guns Roses came popular in America because of Sweet child o mine,

and Slash and Duff hated that song and didn't want to play it, but it was the song that made GnR famous.