The Eddie Trunk Discussion Topic

Guest JohnUlmer

Axl still sounds paranoid and secretive. Eddie Trunk is a terrible interviewer. All he did was kiss Axl's ass and apologize. Didn't ask him any tough questions: about his feelings on Velvet Revolver, Slash's middle of the night visit to his home, Scott Weiland's comments, the Slash/Duff lawsuit, the 2002 riots, why he's such a recluse (no press conferences in 13 years), about his repeated promises in the past five years that the new album would come out "soon," why he doesn't keep his official site up to date, why he ignore's his American fans, etc...

It was basically a fluff interview that went nowhere...

Are you for real? :blink:

Dude, Eddie's show is radio rock show - not the CBS Evening News.

As a rock show, it's meant to be entertaining - which it was! It's not meant to be a Barbara Walters hard-hitting interview. Geez....

And for what it's worth - I thought Eddie handled himself extremely well. Axl could have walked out at any moment, but he didn't because Eddie knew what to do and say to keep Axl at ease and comfortable.

Listen back to the start of the show when Eddie was trying to ask Axl a bunch of questions in a row. All of a sudden Axl tightened up and asked why it was turning into an inquisition instead of a fun radio show. Eddie laughed it off - saying it was the first time the whole room had "shut up" since the show started - which got everybody laughing and helped to ease the tension. He was very smart. B)

.. How can he possibly consider touring America in September without a new album out...

He hasn't done that.

A U.S. tour hasn't been booked yet. The Hammerstein shows are separate.

.. Let Axl hide in Europe for the next three months. Pretend GnR is still a stadium act. And use video & pictures of him with Slash & Duff to promote the shows. And ignore his fans in the States and make us wait another 4-6 months for "Chinese Democracy." This doesn't feel like a real comeback to me. Just that Axl needs money and the European festival shows will make him a fortune. ..

Did you ever think that maybe Axl might be having a tough time finding a U.S. promoter right now, and might have to prove himself by doing the Hammerstein shows and the European shows before a promoter will commit? Just a thought. So, assuming he's "ignoring" his U.S. fans is ridiculous.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fun and all, and I did enjoy hearing Axl. But when he said UYI was "Slash trying to take over", I remembered why I'm on the other team.

right because Slash is perfect and there is no way in hell he was trying to take control of the band :rolleyes: open your eyes man! He openly admitted right there it was 3 people who wanted things done their way.

You go be on the other team :no: , I for one am excited about GNR's return.

No one is saying Slash is perfect, but a "band" should be a collaborative effort, not a power struggle. And Axl did single out Slash first, then added the part about him and Izzy. In the end they finally did reach a compromise. Izzy left and Slash played what he was told to play.

And it's interesting how Axl feels about the Illusion vids. now, even though he was the one who insisted on them. Now he thinks they're corny. Slash and Duff could have told him that almost 15 years ago.

No way, I haven't time for that!

What's that crazy bitch got on there now? "I WANT SLASH ALL DAY AND NIGHT"? :D

Have a good night sleep, and think positive Axl thoughts! :kiss:

UK SUBS.

:laugh::laugh:

Too funny.

I see p4a has now added this to her sig. :lol:

No one is saying Slash is perfect, but a "band" should be a collaborative effort, not a power struggle. And Axl did single out Slash first, then added the part about him and Izzy. In the end they finally did reach a compromise. Izzy left and Slash played what he was told to play.

And it's interesting how Axl feels about the Illusion vids. now, even though he was the one who insisted on them. Now he thinks they're corny. Slash and Duff could have told him that almost 15 years ago.

So then both Axl and Slash are equally to blame for the problems that caused the old band to demise. Both wanted control. Both men were fighting for it. If Axl hadn't gotten control, Slash would have, and then the folowup to the Illusions would have been 'Its Five O'Clock Somewhere'. :rolleyes:

So in a way, I'm glad Axl took control of the band :)

So then both Axl and Slash are equally to blame for the problems that caused the old band to demise. Both wanted control. Both men were fighting for it. If Axl hadn't gotten control, Slash would have, and then the folowup to the Illusions would have been 'Its Five O'Clock Somewhere'. :rolleyes:

The difference is, Slash didn't blackmail the rest of the members and threaten to walk out before a show in the middle of a world tour unless he had control of the band, and the name of that band.

As for a followup, not counting TSI, it's been almost 15 years. Tupac's had more followup's and he's dead. If Axl was even remotely serious about making a followup, he would have made one. Slash and Duff stuck around for years waiting for something to happen and it never did. You may not like Snakepit, but at least Slash was trying to be creative when other members weren't.

dont be so upset here---he wasn't euro-bashing so chill out. i agree with his comments--european fans for the most part dont give a shit who they see, thus they respond with open arms to guns. it's easy. why, cause there are a few huge guns fans on this message board from europe? america dude, it's fuckin SHOW US THE BEEF over here.

i just hope that america gets a fucking tour at this point. chinese democracy? ain't gonna hold my breath.

bash me if you want. you're all probably 14 anyway, juvenile behavior as usual around here.

I'm actualy 9. Thanks.

Seriously though, you obviously don't know shit about europe or the fans here.

You put it in an incredibly ignorant and degrading way. Are the crouds here more receptive? Yes.

But that doesn't say anything. We're getting the same over here as you're getting in the states. So that doesn't matter.

If you "want to see the beef" that's fine. But what does that have to do with where they go first?

It's not an arguement as to why they should do the US first is it?

Doing europe first is a really smart move marketing-wise as it also creates more buzz in the US.

And you just need that more in the US then you need it here.

And they will do both europe and the US (and probably Asia), so the "it's easy" arguement is also complete bull.

Still sounds to me like you guys are just bummed you won't "get it first".

Oh Mr. Username

how wrong you are.

I will be getting it first in NY May 12th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

The difference is, Slash didn't blackmail the rest of the members and threaten to walk out before a show in the middle of a world tour unless he had control of the band, and the name of that band.

As for a followup, not counting TSI, it's been almost 15 years. Tupac's had more followup's and he's dead. If Axl was even remotely serious about making a followup, he would have made one. Slash and Duff stuck around for years waiting for something to happen and it never did. You may not like Snakepit, but at least Slash was trying to be creative when other members weren't.

Indeed.

I don't see how this argument can be countered reasonably.

I'm not sure we can assume any of that is true. We don't know all of what Slash's actions were in the band as far as him trying to gain control. We also don't know what would have caused Axl to take such drastic measures - and this is assuming thats how it went down, again we dont know for sure. You have one guys saying one thing, the other guy saying something else. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle

I would rather have no GNR album at all than have something like that snakepit album released as a GNR album. Quality over Quantity. I've been saying that to you a lot lately.

Axl sounded pretty damn serious to me about the album when we heard him on the radio the other night. If what he is saying is true about having 3 albums of material, if he releases them one right after the other, I think that justifies the amount of time he and the band has taken to do this. Especially if he's shuffling songs around and can't decide what goes where. That tells me he has a lot of incredible stuff.

Axl still sounds paranoid and secretive. Eddie Trunk is a terrible interviewer. All he did was kiss Axl's ass and apologize. Didn't ask him any tough questions: about his feelings on Velvet Revolver, Slash's middle of the night visit to his home, Scott Weiland's comments, the Slash/Duff lawsuit, the 2002 riots, why he's such a recluse (no press conferences in 13 years), about his repeated promises in the past five years that the new album would come out "soon," why he doesn't keep his official site up to date, why he ignore's his American fans, etc...

It was basically a fluff interview that went nowhere...

Are you for real? :blink:

Dude, Eddie's show is radio rock show - not the CBS Evening News.

As a rock show, it's meant to be entertaining - which it was! It's not meant to be a Barbara Walters hard-hitting interview. Geez....

And for what it's worth - I thought Eddie handled himself extremely well. Axl could have walked out at any moment, but he didn't because Eddie knew what to do and say to keep Axl at ease and comfortable.

Listen back to the start of the show when Eddie was trying to ask Axl a bunch of questions in a row. All of a sudden Axl tightened up and asked why it was turning into an inquisition instead of a fun radio show. Eddie laughed it off - saying it was the first time the whole room had "shut up" since the show started - which got everybody laughing and helped to ease the tension. He was very smart. B)

.. How can he possibly consider touring America in September without a new album out...

He hasn't done that.

A U.S. tour hasn't been booked yet. The Hammerstein shows are separate.

.. Let Axl hide in Europe for the next three months. Pretend GnR is still a stadium act. And use video & pictures of him with Slash & Duff to promote the shows. And ignore his fans in the States and make us wait another 4-6 months for "Chinese Democracy." This doesn't feel like a real comeback to me. Just that Axl needs money and the European festival shows will make him a fortune. ..

Did you ever think that maybe Axl might be having a tough time finding a U.S. promoter right now, and might have to prove himself by doing the Hammerstein shows and the European shows before a promoter will commit? Just a thought. So, assuming he's "ignoring" his U.S. fans is ridiculous.

Very well put madison. You got some insight.

The touring before the album isn't such a bad idea. Get some hype around the band and get people to know they are alive and playing. then release the album when they get everyonce attention.

And you are probably right about the promoters. Axl's record of noshowes is known troughout the promoters. And many won't invest millions for something that might not happend.

But the Snakepit albums were worked by Slash and a few other guys. Not Axl, not Izzy, not Duff, not Matt, and not Robin Fink. So why would they be looked at as the next GNR albums?

the songs for its five o'clock somewhere were originally meant to be for the next GNR album. Axl liked some of them but wanted to work on them. There was no compromise, Slash took the songs and made a solo album.

But the Snakepit albums were worked by Slash and a few other guys. Not Axl, not Izzy, not Duff, not Matt, and not Robin Fink. So why would they be looked at as the next GNR albums?

the songs for its five o'clock somewhere were originally meant to be for the next GNR album. Axl liked some of them but wanted to work on them. There was no compromise, Slash took the songs and made a solo album.

I beleive what you meant to say was "Axl rejected them...there was no compromise" so Slash made a solo album, then Axl wanted them back.

I beleive what you meant to say was "Axl rejected them...there was no compromise" so Slash made a solo album, then Axl wanted them back.

They weren't rejected flat out. Axl wanted to do some work on the songs, but slash wasn't having it.

They weren't rejected flat out. Axl wanted to do some work on the songs, but slash wasn't having it.

Hey A_D - Axl isn't perfect. He actually did some things that were not in the best interests of Guns n Roses or the fans. I believe your version of events is incorrect.

Hey A_D - Axl isn't perfect. He actually did some things that were not in the best interests of Guns n Roses or the fans. I believe your version of events is incorrect.

never claimed he was. GNR is his band he can do whatever he wants with with it, best interests of Guns n Roses fans? He doesn't owe you shit. I believe your version of events to be biased towards the other side, which are no longer even part of the band. So my suggestion to you would be go post in the sections made for those members and leave the fans of the current lineup alone.

never claimed he was. GNR is his band he can do whatever he wants with with it, best interests of Guns n Roses fans? He doesn't owe you shit. I believe your version of events to be biased towards the other side, which are no longer even part of the band. So my suggestion to you would be go post in the sections made for those members and leave the fans of the current lineup alone.

Thats what isnt right. One person shouldnt have complete control over a BAND, how many bands are like that?

Guest RonMexico82

Didn't need to claim A_D you make it quite clear in every single post that you make that you worship at the temple of Axl Rose.

I officially diagnose you with uber-gay fanboy disease.

The only cure is to leave your trailer and step into the real world.

Thats what isnt right. One person shouldnt have complete control over a BAND, how many bands are like that?

None. Axl fucked up GnR, yet A_D still defends him.

Hey A_D - read my post more carefully next time. See the letter "o" and "r"??? Together, they spell or. That means that Axl did things that weren't in the interest of Guns n Roses OR the fans.

"Axl was on a different trip," recalls Slash, "where he wanted to sound like Pearl Jam. That was all really tedious for me. I just like to play guitar and write a good riff... to go out there and play."

Growing tired of Rose's dilettante obsessions with drum loops and techno-industrial soundscapes, Slash put forward a selection of traditional rock material that he had been working on. When it was rejected, the guitarist used these songs as the basis of his Slash's Snakepit solo debut, It's Five O' Clock Somewhere. "And then I booked a tour," Slash told Metal Hammer, "and at that point Axl turned around and wanted the material back. That's where the big shit started because I told him, 'Dude, it's gone. If I remember correctly, it was turned down flat.' And that's where we got threats of lawsuits and this, that and the other."

Total Guitar Magazine

-Kickingthehabit

that Sebastian person, the story about Axl taking his time to appear on stage, as he was taking a shower (well that's the excuse) it's like the only story Sebastian repeats over and over when Axl is on the scene :rolleyes:

maybe if he was to hang with the new GnR he'll get a 2nd story under his belt :D

"Axl was on a different trip," recalls Slash, "where he wanted to sound like Pearl Jam. That was all really tedious for me. I just like to play guitar and write a good riff... to go out there and play."

Growing tired of Rose's dilettante obsessions with drum loops and techno-industrial soundscapes, Slash put forward a selection of traditional rock material that he had been working on. When it was rejected, the guitarist used these songs as the basis of his Slash's Snakepit solo debut, It's Five O' Clock Somewhere. "And then I booked a tour," Slash told Metal Hammer, "and at that point Axl turned around and wanted the material back. That's where the big shit started because I told him, 'Dude, it's gone. If I remember correctly, it was turned down flat.' And that's where we got threats of lawsuits and this, that and the other."

Total Guitar Magazine

-Kickingthehabit

There are two sides to every story. Usually the truth falls somewhere in the middle

On the subject of Slash Axl commented:

“Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else. There’d still be some chemistry and some synergy happening and whatever dynamics anyone else could bring in to the project. It seemed to me that anytime we got close to something that would work, it wasn’t out of opinion that Slash would go ‘hey it doesn’t work’, but it was nixed simply because it did work. In other words, ‘Whoa, wait a minute. That actually might be successful, we can’t do that.’ People like to call me paranoid. It has nothing to do with paranoia; it was to do with reality. If the material were strong enough for me to sink my teeth in then I would still be in a certain public position in regards to Guns, we’d have possibly still held a certain popularity with the public as I have previously been fortunate enough to have had. Slash and his ex-wife Renee and his security guy and closest confidant at the time, Ronnie Stalnacker could not live with that. It’s not something Slash could live with. Slash chose not to be here over control issues. Now people can say ‘Well Axl, you’re after control of the band too.’ You’re damn skippy. That’s right. I am the one held responsible since day one. When it comes to Guns n’ Roses, I may not always get everything right but I do have a good idea about getting things from point A to point B and knowing what the job is that we have to do. Within those parameters, I give everyone as much freedom to do what they want something Slash has verified in several interviews. Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash’s ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigors of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith’s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don’t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It’s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that’s the reason why that material got scrapped. If one were to say well then why not do it now there are several reasons.1) My band, too much time, too much effort and hardship. Confidence in our material. Excitement in watching this grow and being a part of the whole experience. 2) Money. You get what you play for and nothing’s free. Can you cover the cost of this venture and its financial potential that I am just supposed to walk away from and for what? To where? I do not believe in any true effort or potential regarding most of my past relationship from the other party or parties, creatively or emotionally. Without that the money from a reunion doesn't mean much and though I'm sure the alumni is up for it for me it would be as or more lacking than it was during our attempts to work together previously. As a friend and former friend of Slash said to me in regards to working with Slash, "you can only do so many pull ups." This is my shot and you can root for me to fail all you want, but there is simply way too much put into this to cater to someone else's selfish needs and destroy peoples dreams I truly care about including my own. Not too mention that though I've fought what feels like the heart of the nature of this entire industry, my own people would probably eat me alive if I opted for a lesser course. 3) Slash has lied about nearly everything and anything to nearly everyone and anyone. It's who he is. It's what he does. Duff's support for the man though understandable in one sense in regard to his circumstances, is inexcusable, and furthers my distance from the two of them. For me Matt doesn't figure into the equation and for as much as I was a friend to him he was incapable of reciprocating and life is much better without such an obvious albatross. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from the alumni in regard to their prior performances on record or touring to support the albums. I know how I was treated and more importantly I know how they treated others during both of these things, it's not a way anyone should be forced or even asked to work. And for the record I'm referring to Slash and Matt in regards to their actions and behavior, Duff played more of a supporting role (for reasons I've never understood). For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.”

Total Guitar Magazine

-Kickingthehabit

There are two sides to every story. Usually the truth falls somewhere in the middle

On the subject of Slash Axl commented:

“Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else. There’d still be some chemistry and some synergy happening and whatever dynamics anyone else could bring in to the project. It seemed to me that anytime we got close to something that would work, it wasn’t out of opinion that Slash would go ‘hey it doesn’t work’, but it was nixed simply because it did work. In other words, ‘Whoa, wait a minute. That actually might be successful, we can’t do that.’ People like to call me paranoid. It has nothing to do with paranoia; it was to do with reality. If the material were strong enough for me to sink my teeth in then I would still be in a certain public position in regards to Guns, we’d have possibly still held a certain popularity with the public as I have previously been fortunate enough to have had. Slash and his ex-wife Renee and his security guy and closest confidant at the time, Ronnie Stalnacker could not live with that. It’s not something Slash could live with. Slash chose not to be here over control issues. Now people can say ‘Well Axl, you’re after control of the band too.’ You’re damn skippy. That’s right. I am the one held responsible since day one. When it comes to Guns n’ Roses, I may not always get everything right but I do have a good idea about getting things from point A to point B and knowing what the job is that we have to do. Within those parameters, I give everyone as much freedom to do what they want something Slash has verified in several interviews. Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash’s ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigors of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith’s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don’t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It’s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that’s the reason why that material got scrapped. If one were to say well then why not do it now there are several reasons.1) My band, too much time, too much effort and hardship. Confidence in our material. Excitement in watching this grow and being a part of the whole experience. 2) Money. You get what you play for and nothing’s free. Can you cover the cost of this venture and its financial potential that I am just supposed to walk away from and for what? To where? I do not believe in any true effort or potential regarding most of my past relationship from the other party or parties, creatively or emotionally. Without that the money from a reunion doesn't mean much and though I'm sure the alumni is up for it for me it would be as or more lacking than it was during our attempts to work together previously. As a friend and former friend of Slash said to me in regards to working with Slash, "you can only do so many pull ups." This is my shot and you can root for me to fail all you want, but there is simply way too much put into this to cater to someone else's selfish needs and destroy peoples dreams I truly care about including my own. Not too mention that though I've fought what feels like the heart of the nature of this entire industry, my own people would probably eat me alive if I opted for a lesser course. 3) Slash has lied about nearly everything and anything to nearly everyone and anyone. It's who he is. It's what he does. Duff's support for the man though understandable in one sense in regard to his circumstances, is inexcusable, and furthers my distance from the two of them. For me Matt doesn't figure into the equation and for as much as I was a friend to him he was incapable of reciprocating and life is much better without such an obvious albatross. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from the alumni in regard to their prior performances on record or touring to support the albums. I know how I was treated and more importantly I know how they treated others during both of these things, it's not a way anyone should be forced or even asked to work. And for the record I'm referring to Slash and Matt in regards to their actions and behavior, Duff played more of a supporting role (for reasons I've never understood). For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.”

So Axl says he wanted to make a Slash album and Slash refused? :rolleyes: Was that before or after Slash released his solo work?

OK. You are entitled to believe whatever you want. Thinking logically, I find it very hard to believe that someone said "Hey, lets do what you want" and he said no...but why would we let logic dictate anything.

So Axl says he wanted to make a Slash album and Slash refused? :rolleyes: Was that before or after Slash released his solo work?

OK. You are entitled to believe whatever you want. Thinking logically, I find it very hard to believe that someone said "Hey, lets do what you want" and he said no...but why would we let logic dictate anything.

The even bigger question is, why should a topic about Axl's first interview in 4 years get turned into these stupid arguments? This is supposed to be a happy time for the fans yet you and a few others feel it necessary to turn it into this bullshit.