The Eddie Trunk Discussion Topic

Guest JohnUlmer

So Axl says he wanted to make a Slash album and Slash refused? :rolleyes: Was that before or after Slash released his solo work?

OK. You are entitled to believe whatever you want. Thinking logically, I find it very hard to believe that someone said "Hey, lets do what you want" and he said no...but why would we let logic dictate anything.

The even bigger question is, why should a topic about Axl's first interview in 4 years get turned into these stupid arguments? This is supposed to be a happy time for the fans yet you and a few others feel it necessary to turn it into this bullshit.

You need to look in a mirror before going around making accusations.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A_D is more out of touch with reality than Axl himself. No matter how many facts are given, no matter how many people disagrees with him, he still believes that his POV is the correct one and that we're all biased fans who are wrong. I bet if Axl took a whiz on him in Hammerstein and called him a piece of shit, he'd justify it as Axl's way of reaching out to fans.

So Axl says he wanted to make a Slash album and Slash refused? :rolleyes: Was that before or after Slash released his solo work?

OK. You are entitled to believe whatever you want. Thinking logically, I find it very hard to believe that someone said "Hey, lets do what you want" and he said no...but why would we let logic dictate anything.

The even bigger question is, why should a topic about Axl's first interview in 4 years get turned into these stupid arguments?

I'm shocked that anybody finds this still surprising...

Guest cherry_bomb

great show, fucking brilliant. was like a bunch of mates just hanging out and chatting. amazing!! axl's so funny

Guest cherry_bomb
It was fun and all, and I did enjoy hearing Axl. But when he said UYI was "Slash trying to take over", I remembered why I'm on the other team.

he was just telling his side, the way slash has too.

"Axl was on a different trip," recalls Slash, "where he wanted to sound like Pearl Jam. That was all really tedious for me. I just like to play guitar and write a good riff... to go out there and play."

Growing tired of Rose's dilettante obsessions with drum loops and techno-industrial soundscapes, Slash put forward a selection of traditional rock material that he had been working on. When it was rejected, the guitarist used these songs as the basis of his Slash's Snakepit solo debut, It's Five O' Clock Somewhere. "And then I booked a tour," Slash told Metal Hammer, "and at that point Axl turned around and wanted the material back. That's where the big shit started because I told him, 'Dude, it's gone. If I remember correctly, it was turned down flat.' And that's where we got threats of lawsuits and this, that and the other."

Total Guitar Magazine

-Kickingthehabit

There are two sides to every story. Usually the truth falls somewhere in the middle

On the subject of Slash Axl commented:

“Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else. There’d still be some chemistry and some synergy happening and whatever dynamics anyone else could bring in to the project. It seemed to me that anytime we got close to something that would work, it wasn’t out of opinion that Slash would go ‘hey it doesn’t work’, but it was nixed simply because it did work. In other words, ‘Whoa, wait a minute. That actually might be successful, we can’t do that.’ People like to call me paranoid. It has nothing to do with paranoia; it was to do with reality. If the material were strong enough for me to sink my teeth in then I would still be in a certain public position in regards to Guns, we’d have possibly still held a certain popularity with the public as I have previously been fortunate enough to have had. Slash and his ex-wife Renee and his security guy and closest confidant at the time, Ronnie Stalnacker could not live with that. It’s not something Slash could live with. Slash chose not to be here over control issues. Now people can say ‘Well Axl, you’re after control of the band too.’ You’re damn skippy. That’s right. I am the one held responsible since day one. When it comes to Guns n’ Roses, I may not always get everything right but I do have a good idea about getting things from point A to point B and knowing what the job is that we have to do. Within those parameters, I give everyone as much freedom to do what they want something Slash has verified in several interviews. Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash’s ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigors of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith’s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don’t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It’s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that’s the reason why that material got scrapped. If one were to say well then why not do it now there are several reasons.1) My band, too much time, too much effort and hardship. Confidence in our material. Excitement in watching this grow and being a part of the whole experience. 2) Money. You get what you play for and nothing’s free. Can you cover the cost of this venture and its financial potential that I am just supposed to walk away from and for what? To where? I do not believe in any true effort or potential regarding most of my past relationship from the other party or parties, creatively or emotionally. Without that the money from a reunion doesn't mean much and though I'm sure the alumni is up for it for me it would be as or more lacking than it was during our attempts to work together previously. As a friend and former friend of Slash said to me in regards to working with Slash, "you can only do so many pull ups." This is my shot and you can root for me to fail all you want, but there is simply way too much put into this to cater to someone else's selfish needs and destroy peoples dreams I truly care about including my own. Not too mention that though I've fought what feels like the heart of the nature of this entire industry, my own people would probably eat me alive if I opted for a lesser course. 3) Slash has lied about nearly everything and anything to nearly everyone and anyone. It's who he is. It's what he does. Duff's support for the man though understandable in one sense in regard to his circumstances, is inexcusable, and furthers my distance from the two of them. For me Matt doesn't figure into the equation and for as much as I was a friend to him he was incapable of reciprocating and life is much better without such an obvious albatross. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from the alumni in regard to their prior performances on record or touring to support the albums. I know how I was treated and more importantly I know how they treated others during both of these things, it's not a way anyone should be forced or even asked to work. And for the record I'm referring to Slash and Matt in regards to their actions and behavior, Duff played more of a supporting role (for reasons I've never understood). For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.”

I've always found that Axl quote a bit hard to swallow. That Slash didn't want the material to be successful, to take it to the next level, seems a little hard to believe. The next level Axl speaks of was obviously to take what Slash wrote and give it a grunge or industrial flavour. But then it wouldn't really have been a Slash album.

They are basically talking about the same thing, which is musical differences, although I think Slash is being more sincere. I just can't buy the notion that he wanted the album to fail. I think that was probably a bit unfair of Axl to say. In Axl's mind though, he probably believed a classic rock album at the time was doomed to failure.

Edited by KBear

Guest JohnUlmer

And I will be far away in Sleepy Land.

Take a hard look at P4A's sig.

No way, I haven't time for that!

What's that crazy bitch got on there now? "I WANT SLASH ALL DAY AND NIGHT"?

Have a good night sleep, and think positive Axl thoughts! :kiss:

UK SUBS.

Okay Subsy, I'll let this one slide....

I understand you haven't been this excited in YEARS! :wub:

Um, no offense to Mrs. Subs... :kiss:

True, true...

I'm more than a little excited AND 'the wife' backs your statement up! .... ah well, you can't go back :no:

Anyway, you make it sound like I'm hanging on Axl's last words :rolleyes: I mean Jesus, give me a break...

**Takes sip of Red Bull - wearing a WASP t-shirt, whilst listening to Judus Priest**

AXL'S BACK, YEAH BABY!!! :xmasssanta: :xmassrudolph:

UK SUBS.

I had to join the "quote UK SUBS in your sig" club.

Guest JohnUlmer
I'm pretty sure this was planned. Didn't Axl mention he thought he heard Van Halen on the radio prior to calling? Anyway, that was really cool.

Well, yeah. It was planned on Axl's end to some extent - he texted Baz and asked him if they were on air. He wanted to be called. I'm not sure him coming in to the station was planned, though.

Anyway, you make it sound like I'm hanging on Axl's last words :rolleyes: I mean Jesus, give me a break...

**Takes sip of Red Bull - wearing a WASP t-shirt, whilst listening to Judus Priest**

AXL'S BACK, YEAH BABY!!! :xmasssanta: :xmassrudolph:

UK SUBS.

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Rock on Subsy.

Anybody think Sebastian Bach can be just a wee bit fucking annoying sometimes?

Nope. I think he's awesome.

Wish he had his own radio show. I'd tune in all the time if he did.

He's extremely entertaining.

Anybody think Sebastian Bach can be just a wee bit fucking annoying sometimes?

Nope. I think he's awesome.

Wish he had his own radio show. I'd tune in all the time if he did.

He's extremely entertaining.

i agree....... i like him!