VH1's History of Heavy Metal (GNR)

Madagascar88

the fourth installment of VH1's "Heavy: the History of Metal"... will broadcast tomorrow at 9pm EST.

chapter one (on Monday) was on the beginning of heavy metal... covering bands like Black Sabbath, Dio, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Kiss & AC/DC.

chapter two (on Tuesday) dealt with the rise of heavy metal and the British Metal Movement... bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest & Def Leppard.

chapter three (today) was on the 80s metal scene... covering bands like Van Halen, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant, Twisted Sister & Whitesnake.

chapter four (tomorrow) looks to be on the death of glam... with the introduction of Guns N' Roses and Metallica as well as the grunge movement setting in.

Edited by Madagascar88

I've been watching and it's been very interesting for the most part. The only problem I have is that some of the bands that they've profiled, in my opinion, aren't really metal. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden are pioneers of metal but I don't think that Van Halen or Motley Crue fall into that genre. Or Guns for that matter. I've considered them to be straight ahead hard rock. But I guess that they can be somewhat of an offspring of the metal movement.

I've liked the shows so far, and the 80's one wasn't that bad, cause more or less they just fucking made fun of those crap Posion type bands, and the "power ballad" formula ect.... I think the next one is gonna show how metallica and Gnr took rock and kicked it in the balls to get rid of those shit 80's bands, should be a good show if it is like the ones so far.

I've liked the shows so far, and the 80's one wasn't that bad, cause more or less they just fucking made fun of those crap Posion type bands, and the "power ballad" formula ect.... I think the next one is gonna show how metallica and Gnr took rock and kicked it in the balls to get rid of those shit 80's bands, should be a good show if it is like the ones so far.

I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of ballads

Welcome to the Jungle

Sweet child o' mine

Paradice city

patience

Don't cry

November rain

These are the only video's that really got anywhere on the charts for GN'R, and how many are ballads???

Edited by allen8r

Welcome to the Jungle

Sweet child o' mine

Paradice city

patience

Don't cry

November rain

These are the only video's that really got anywhere on the charts for GN'R, and how many are ballads???

there's a big difference between the 80s formula for the "power ballad" and a ballad written by a real artist like Guns N' Roses.

Welcome to the Jungle

Sweet child o' mine

Paradice city

patience

Don't cry

November rain

there's a big difference between the 80s formula for the "power ballad" and a ballad written by a real artist like Guns N' Roses.

like what? GNR was 80's, thres no way around it.

As much as i hate hair metal, Id rather have hair metal any day over todays gay ass bands. Sum 41? Nickleback? Green Day? Id rather have hair metal even over the alternative rock shit and todays gay heavy metal bands such as System of A Down, Tool and Korn. Fuck them, todays music is lame.

ya know i don't see the problem with some "hair metal". I mean yeah it's cheesy and all and no where close to as good as something like gnr but people have to realize, that's the point. It's cheesy, it's simple and overall it's just fun. Seriously, alot of people here might no like poison but I'm sorry, I bet more than half of you guys would have fun at one of their shows because fact is, thta's all it is is a fun time and way to get out and see some big songs performed live. I'm seeing Poison w/ cinderella, slaughter, faster pussycat, bango tango and pretty boy floyd this summer and honestly, I really only like two bands being CINDERELLA(who is actually a VERY talented band) and then I think poison is a fun band but I'm sure the other bands will be somewhat enjoyable being how they all have some catchy songs and what not. People need to lighten up, these bands take it as seriously as we do..the only exception is Motley Crue who are cheesy and simple but think they are like the hottest shit to ever hit the music business. I'm sure I'll get totally flamed for that one but whatever.

As much as i hate hair metal, Id rather have hair metal any day over todays gay ass bands. Sum 41? Nickleback? Green Day? Id rather have hair metal even over the alternative rock shit and todays gay heavy metal bands such as System of A Down, Tool and Korn. Fuck them, todays music is lame.

That is true! Today´s music is nothing more than low level productions! Old metal bands like Maiden, Manowar are far better than these little "boys metal bands". Agressive commerciality became possible that any low level bend could reach the top.

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

That is true! Today´s music is nothing more than low level productions! Old metal bands like Maiden, Manowar are far better than these little "boys metal bands". Agressive commerciality became possible that any low level bend could reach the top.

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

fuck urself, hip hop rules!!!

You are in the wrong site!!! This is GNR's forum, not any kind of low level, hip hop stupid, ignorant, meaningless, poor, computer made, crap music!!! You don,t like? Then GET LOST!!!!

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

You are in the wrong site!!! This is GNR's forum, not any kind of low level, hip hop stupid, ignorant, meaningless, poor, computer made, crap music!!! You don,t like? Then GET LOST!!!!

if i dont like what? did i say that? i think u'll find ur the ignorant one that dismisses an entire genre of music, i've never expressed that kinda predudice. n excuse me, where does it say GnR forums can't have hip hop talked about on em? newsflash dude, GnR loved hip hop, ever hear taste good dont it? hmm, who played that song i wonder? n who wore NWA hats to gigs? n which bass player was it that has an entire song he does on his album believe in me with a rapper? n u talk about computers in music, whats wrong with that? if u'd ever listened to any post appetite for destruction GnR, u'll realise theres computers ALL over their music. and as far as meaningless, meaning is derived by the person listening to it, n their interpretations n if u can't find meaning in it, its a lacking in you, not the music. low level?? LOL thats rich coming from a guns n roses fan, whatever happened to "jus an urchin livin under the street?" in short, shut the fuck up until u know what ur talking about.

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

if i dont like what? did i say that? i think u'll find ur the ignorant one that dismisses an entire genre of music, i've never expressed that kinda predudice. n excuse me, where does it say GnR forums can't have hip hop talked about on em? newsflash dude, GnR loved hip hop, ever hear taste good dont it? hmm, who played that song i wonder? n who wore NWA hats to gigs? n which bass player was it that has an entire song he does on his album believe in me with a rapper? n u talk about computers in music, whats wrong with that? if u'd ever listened to any post appetite for destruction GnR, u'll realise theres computers ALL over their music. and as far as meaningless, meaning is derived by the person listening to it, n their interpretations n if u can't find meaning in it, its a lacking in you, not the music. low level?? LOL thats rich coming from a guns n roses fan, whatever happened to "jus an urchin livin under the street?" in short, shut the fuck up until u know what ur talking about.

You talked about Appetite for Destruction!!! What do you know about this album? You probably weren't even born when it came out!!!! The best debut Rock Album from all time!!!! Do you want to say that this album has hip hop influence???? That Axl, back in 87 had any influence of hip hop? You now nothing at all!!!! Interpretation?????? Who are you to talk to me about interpretation???? How can one obtain any kind of message from usless, commercial, music that looks like some car advertisement. But one thing I give you credit for, the chics on the clips!!!!! loooooooooooooollllllllllllllll

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

You talked about Appetite for Destruction!!! What do you know about this album? You probably weren't even born when it came out!!!! The best debut Rock Album from all time!!!! Do you want to say that this album has hip hop influence???? That Axl, back in 87 had any influence of hip hop? You now nothing at all!!!! Interpretation?????? Who are you to talk to me about interpretation???? How can one obtain any kind of message from usless, commercial, music that looks like some car advertisement. But one thing I give you credit for, the chics on the clips!!!!! loooooooooooooollllllllllllllll

no, if u go back n read i talked about POST appetite for destruction GnR. wasnt born when it came out? hey guess what, i wasnt alive when television was invented, i still watch it. the best rock debut album of all time? thats ur opinion dude, not a fact cuz these things r down to opinion. in the other thread u tell me i can't read, tell me, where did u learn to read dude? i didnt say anything even close to axl having hip hop influences in 1987, but i wouldn't be suprised, he's talked about liking bannorama and bessie smith before now. and as far as dissing commercial music, lemme tell u something, guns n roses r signed to a major record label n have sold millions of records worldwide, THAT is commerce. even axl rose himself was quoted as saying that he thinks everybody should study buisness n said something along the lines of, i dont care if u dont think ur commercial, whatever ur doin is commercial, if ur flippin burgers at mcdonalds, ur a commercial burger flipper. why? cuz u do it, to some degree, for money. and who r u to pass judgement on how another makes their living anyway?music that looks like a car advertisement? music doesnt look like anything dude, music is audio, how can music look like something?

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

no, if u go back n read i talked about POST appetite for destruction GnR. wasnt born when it came out? hey guess what, i wasnt alive when television was invented, i still watch it. the best rock debut album of all time? thats ur opinion dude, not a fact cuz these things r down to opinion. in the other thread u tell me i can't read, tell me, where did u learn to read dude? i didnt say anything even close to axl having hip hop influences in 1987, but i wouldn't be suprised, he's talked about liking bannorama and bessie smith before now. and as far as dissing commercial music, lemme tell u something, guns n roses r signed to a major record label n have sold millions of records worldwide, THAT is commerce. even axl rose himself was quoted as saying that he thinks everybody should study buisness n said something along the lines of, i dont care if u dont think ur commercial, whatever ur doin is commercial, if ur flippin burgers at mcdonalds, ur a commercial burger flipper. why? cuz u do it, to some degree, for money. and who r u to pass judgement on how another makes their living anyway?music that looks like a car advertisement? music doesnt look like anything dude, music is audio, how can music look like something?

"What I'd tell any kid in high school is "Take business classes." I don't care what else you're gonna do, if you're gonna do art or anything, take business classes. You can say, "Well, I don't want to get commercial," but if you do anything to make any money, you're doing something commercial. You can be flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, but you're a commercial burger flipper"

thats axl's exact quote, rolling stone magazine, 1989.

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

Fuck yeah!!!!! You cant kill ROCK N' ROLL!!! All of these current hooray for tolerance! bands will pass and will be forgotten in 10 years or so, while bands such as GNR, Maiden, Aerosmith, etc will never die.

And FUCK that Marina character. U think hip pop is better than rock n roll??? Fuck YOU, get the Fuck outta here. Hip Pop is a bunch of wannabes losers trying to rhyme while dancing to some gay ass beats. They dont even play their fucking instruments, they put a fucking cd and then try to rhyme while dancing like fags.

Once and for all: FUCK HIP POP, RAP and all that fucking lame music!!!

Fuck Hip Hop

HAIL To Rock!!!! rock1

Fuck yeah!!!!! You cant kill ROCK N' ROLL!!! All of these current hooray for tolerance! bands will pass and will be forgotten in 10 years or so, while bands such as GNR, Maiden, Aerosmith, etc will never die.

And FUCK that Marina character. U think hip pop is better than rock n roll??? Fuck YOU, get the Fuck outta here. Hip Pop is a bunch of wannabes losers trying to rhyme while dancing to some gay ass beats. They dont even play their fucking instruments, they put a fucking cd and then try to rhyme while dancing like fags.

Once and for all: FUCK HIP POP, RAP and all that fucking lame music!!!

ok, notice how u didnt address a single comment i made n just ranted with ur shit? as far as rock n roll being dead, as fans of bands like aerosmith/maiden etc, they've become almost like novelty acts, botoxed to the nines n wheeled out on a cart for the superbowl etc. these are great fucking bands, amazing bands reduced to nothing having a lazy cling-on fanbase fulla can't let go of their grandfather types. u know WHY aerosmith were cool and still are? because in their own time they did their own thing n fucking made it rock. meanwhile u got weiners like u who can't do nothing with their own generation n complain about the ones who do. if u dont like it, instigate change n if u can't do that, shut the fuck up n sit down? get the fuck outta here?? oooh, ur a big boy :lol: dont make THAT big a prick of urself.Hip Pop, oooh, pullin out all the stops i see, u mention bands who play fucking stadiums n have multi platinum albums n sign to major record labels n ur calling hip hop pop music? is that supposed to be funny? do u know what pop stands for? POP-U-LAR, there isnt a music'll genre attached to it assnut. they dont even play their instruments, right, ok, anything that can make a sound can be construed as a musical instrument, if u can fart ur way thru the star spangled banner, sing n people respond to it n buy it, it's a song. n who the fuck r u that ur opinion should be held above the millions upon millions of people who love hip hop? dancing like fags??? :lol: u make a comment like that n tell me ur a fuckin aerosmith fan :lol: lemme tell u somethin dude, if its masculinity ur after, try lookin at some of ur so called heroes in their early days n how they dressed n acted n then look at so called fags like dre/eminem/tupac/wu tang n whoever u want in hip hop. and i never said hip hop was better than rock n roll, i jus reacted against someone saying that it totally sucked, dont interpret ur own delusions out of what i've said. R E A D the woooords n respond accordingly otherwise u might as well talk to urself.

in short, u haven't got a clue what ur talking about, im the boring one for being so inclined to putting fools in their place.

I'm not a thief. I've never found anything worth taking - Officer Gripweed

HI all ,

For those of you from Ireland or those who get Irish TV channels TG4 or TnaG had an A-Z of Guns n Roses on Monday Night. I just caught the tail end of it, they mentioned Axl Rose has weak ankles and that is why he is lying on the bed in don't cry, and the fine bird sitting beside him is his chiropractor.

An interesting snippet of info for everyone

I’m not into hip hop right now, but I used to be, and it should be respected, the underground hip hop scene has some of the deepest lyrics you can find. Lyrics that are far more meaningful and intelligent than Axl’s or many of the rock icons of today. I think marina has pretty much killed all of you anti-hip hop people’s arguments, and all you can do is reply with childish comments. Listen to Canibus’ “Poet Laureate” you wont find lyrics a good as that on any of today’s rock music. Music is all about opinions and you should respect others. I don’t listen to hip hop any more but I definitely can see why people like some of it.

Haven’t any of you heard the rap Axl does in rocket queen?

I listen to 80s hair metal and other heavy metal, and they usually have poor lyrics, but I enjoy the musicianship and the overall sound.

I’m not into hip hop right now, but I used to be, and it should be respected, the underground hip hop scene has some of the deepest lyrics you can find. Lyrics that are far more meaningful and intelligent than Axl’s or many of the rock icons of today. I think marina has pretty much killed all of you anti-hip hop people’s arguments, and all you can do is reply with childish comments. Listen to Canibus’ “Poet Laureate” you wont find lyrics a good as that on any of today’s rock music. Music is all about opinions and you should respect others. I don’t listen to hip hop any more but I definitely can see why people like some of it.

Haven’t any of you heard the rap Axl does in rocket queen?

I listen to 80s hair metal and other heavy metal, and they usually have poor lyrics, but I enjoy the musicianship and the overall sound.

right! that rap is the song i previously mentioned called Tastes Good, Dont It? i mean, im not sayin everyone should like hip hop, far from it, like what u like y'know but dont just hate it cuz u feel obliged to or just, dismiss an entire genre of music offhand. to my mind its all there for my/our entertainment, i couldn't imagine limiting myself to where i only listen to one kind of music n dismiss genres for no reason. the entire thing i love about life n living in the free world is abundance of choice we have, i wouldn't compromise that in the name of some alligence or the overt need to belong somewhere in some grouping of some kind. fuck that, i belong anywhere i wanna go. its ok to dislike hip hop n theres numerous criticisms to it but...to just write off the entire art i think is kinda...nonsensical.