How does Bumble compare to Buckethead and Slash?

SylvesterStallone

Im raggin on the Slash, because for whatever reason people put these new guitarists down because they arn't like Slash, and dont play like him.

Sly is a huge fan of Slash, but started this complimentary thread about Thal.

You want my theory? As much as you desperately try to pass yourself off as some sort of progressive/avant-garde music fan, deep down there's a lot of Axls_Disillusion fanboy about you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you actually listen to buckethead? or is the whole banner thing a masquerade?

ron has hit 27 notes per second, bucket doesn't even come close.

you are aware that ron has other achievements other than gnr, right?

anagram! thal is the master of all things other than picking too! jeez. http://youtube.com/watch?v=V_HUilMRWi8&sea...lefoot%20chopin

he can even hit the high notes like mariah carey (i'm serious)

i suggest you guys pick up "normal", even "population override" doesn't come close.

edit- you do know the infamous foot guitar has 28, yes 28 frets, right?

Edited by quadlaser

I don't think Bucket has ever played fretless or slide (live or on a CD) <_< But im sure he'd be good at it.

I agree Ron also has some decent vocals from what I heard, hes a great player. Though as creative as he may be it still doesn't hold a flame to what Bucket has done.

And Glass I assure you, I listen to Bucket.

I listen A LOT.

I don't think Bucket has ever played fretless or slide (live or on a CD) <_< But im sure he'd be good at it.

I agree Ron also has some decent vocals from what I heard, hes a great player. Though as creative as he may be it still doesn't hold a flame to what Bucket has done.

You want my theory? As much as you desperately try to pass yourself off as some sort of progressive/avant-garde music fan, deep down there's a lot of Axls_Disillusion fanboy about you.

I can't be a "progressive/avant-garde music fan" and be an Axl fanboy at the same time???

Edited by Anagram Of Oral Sex

I'll always say that Slash is the best, regardless of who comes into the band. Remember, the simple fact that he wrote most of his solos and many of his riffs puts him above everyone else, even those players who do a great job of covering his material. He was so vital to the signature Gnr sound in the heyday. On the new songs, the quality of the songs (many of which I like) is, in my opinion at least, not heavily influenced by great guitar work. That being said, Bumblefoot and Fortus were outstanding tonight, and Buckethead was a good shredder. I'm not going to sit here and be stubborn and say I wish Slash was back in the band; instead, even though I think Slash is the best, I'll support whomever plays guitar for this band. And tonight gave me more hope that there is little to worry about in terms of guitar playing.

I can't be a "progressive/avant-garde music fan" and be an Axl fanboy at the same time???

Sure you can. It's just kinda funny that you're so happy about seeing guys like Brain and Bucket covering songs from an album like Appetite For Destruction. You must admit, it's pretty weird.

But my point is, perhaps your love of Buckethead and Thal is more to do with being pro-Axl and anti-Slash than anything else.

Edited by Dead Flower

Sure you can. It's just kinda funny that you're so happy about seeing guys like Brain and Bucket covering songs from an album like Appetite For Destruction. You must admit, it's pretty weird.

But my point is, perhaps your love of Buckethead and Thal is more to do with being pro-Axl and anti-Slash than anything else.

I was happy for them playing new, and old stuff. I like how the old stuff isnt exactly the same, and at some spots even better. Bucketheads great, and all but he's a much better fit by himself, and with his musician bots.

Im Pro-GnR, which means im Pro-Axl, Pro-Robin, Pro-Fortus, Pro- Local Boy Tommy Stinson, Pro- Thal, Pro-Dizzy, Pro-Pittmann.

Like I said, Im for the advancing of GnR, and last time I checked Slash left 10 or so years ago. so fuck him, and lets keep Guns goin.

Edited by Anagram Of Oral Sex

Like I said, Im for the advancing of GnR, and last time I checked Slash left 10 or so years ago. so fuck him, and lets keep Guns goin.

its cool that ur all for advancing...i think everyone here wants to see this thing succeed...comments like this make u seem like a complete arrogant fuckhead however...there would be nothing to advance if it werent for the guy you jus told so casually to fuck off...

slash is the better guitarist because he wrote my favourite songs...the others can play them great...but he wrote em...

They're all fucking great!

GNR has always had briliant lead guitarists.

Only Finck doesn't fit in.

There is no need for him.

I mean, you're having Fortus and Thal (or Buckethead 4 years ago) in the band and Finck is still doing most of the guitar work?

so fuck him

Takes a lot of gall to say that when this new band just played a show full of songs that Slash helped create and make famous.

Oh well, here's to "advancing" GnR... :rofl-lol:

Do you have anything positive to say about the band asshole? Leave, you won't be missed at all I assure you that.

so fuck him

Takes a lot of gall to say that when this new band just played a show full of songs that Slash helped create and make famous.

Oh well, here's to "advancing" GnR... :rofl-lol:

Do you have anything positive to say about the band asshole? Leave, you won't be missed at all I assure you that.

you douche! read the context

seems to be tons of douches around lately

Yes I can't understand how you can like GnR (GnR not Axl alone) and Finck/buckethead music............

I still have to get if u like GnR records or only u're sure u will like Chinese Democracy when and if it will ever come out...

No-one will ever be better than Slash in my eyes. He played with so much emotion and style it's just amazing, not only does he have god-given talents but he's just one cool motherfucker who's a great guy to boot. I don't care who you get next to Axl, there'll never be that chemistry and magic that there was when Slash was playing.

BUT, before you Axlites rape me, don't fret, because I fucking love Ron.

From what I've seen, he manages to share many of the same qualities with Slash. Sure, maybe not as many or not on the same level, but still. He can play his fucking ass off, he's one cool mother and he seems like a great bloke (he even took the time to reply to my message I sent him :) ). Live he seems to have a good persona about him, which I think will come out more as the band plays more shows. He seems a little..shy? Reserved? I'm not sure what it is, but once he breaks out fuck me will we have a player on our hands.

As for is he better than a KFC bucket wearing, robot dancing freak? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Buckethead leaving and Ron replacing him is the best move Axl has done since the original band split up. I feel like I can get behind Ron and appreciate his music but also love him as a person like I did with Slash. (Obviously I love Axl, Duff and Izzy, but Slash is above them in my mind).

In summary, Ron's a fucking dude. rock3

I thought Ron 'The Nuke' Thal was absolutely brilliant last night. He was far more into the music and some of his solos were amazing.

His solo where he played Don't Cry was fantastic. A great moment in GNR history. Anyone still wanting Slash should just dig out the 88 show DVD's and watch them, this band isn't the same. Besides, Slash can't play Nightrain anymore, Buckethead stole it from him and wrote him out of the record books now Thal is all over it like a mofo too.

I just can't understand the people who can watch that show and complain about the band members. They were ALL fantastic last night, every one of them.

Edited by busngabb

I prefer buckethead, he play nightrain better than slash or ron thal.

Well, for me, a great guitarist isn't just about raw technical ability.

Yes, the technical skills have to be there -- but it's also about the emotion - and soul - you put into the music, the way you move onstage, the way you relate to the band as a whole, and even image. It's a package.

For example, there were certainly more technically gifted guitarists than Slash - such as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani to name a few -- but most people still consider Slash to be the better "overall" guitarist in GNR because he had the whole "package."

I think Ron is similar in that way. While Buckethead may have been more talented technically, I think Ron blows him out of the water when it comes to the whole "package." jmo.

I thought Ron was awesome at this show. He's come a long way from the first Hammerstein show (where he had seemed overwhelmed by it all and stayed glued to the side of the stage). He's now moving around the stage a lot more -- and is quite charismatic onstage, which is cool.

I also thought he was EXTREMELY smart to add "Don't Cry" to his solo. Brilliant! He had been under alot of criticism from fans for his weak guitar solos during the Hammerstein shows -- and this change was very very smart. Well done Ron!

My only criticism - please lose the hat Ron. I mean - really - a ski hat in the Summer? You have great hair under that hat, so why hide it?

As for comparing Ron with Slash - or anybody else for that matter - why would you want to do that? They're two different musicians with different styles and different energy. Like comparing apples and oranges. Can we - for once - not bring former GNR members into a discussion about a current GNR show?

I agree, you can't compare any guitarist of the new lineup with Slash. You might be able to somehow compare their "technical skills" on the guitar even though that is probably not comparable.

What you can't argue about is that none of the new guys wrote classic guitar riffs like in SCOM, WTTJ, NR, etc. What they do right now is basically playing the solos Slash wrote/co-wrote.

So Slash with no doubt up to this point contributed a shitload more to what has become "Guns n Roses" as any of the new guys. They have yet to proof that they can't only play, but also write new stuff that lives up to the expectations that are connected with the name "Guns n Roses".

The new songs we have heard so far have no solos that can come close to e.g. the above mentioned 3 "Old GNR" songs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the new guys with this post, this is just the way it is right now. We'll see what they can deliver in the future.