Led Zeppelin

marina

I'm several months older than Axl...(my first concert was Frank Zappa in 1975.)

I saw the Stones in 1978...to this day the best concert I ever saw.

Saw Aerosmith 1977...second best concert I ever saw.

(third best concert I ever saw was GnR '91...fucking astounding)

but yeah...saw fucking TONS of bands in the 70's...NOTHING touched that Stones show,I didn't see Zep (was going to go to the In Through The Outdoor tour...but,).

What I'm getting at,concerts in the 70's were utterly breathtaking experiences...and for my neighbour to say that Zep blew all the others away...that put them on a pretty high pedastal!

The ONLY band since the 70's that I have seen match that era of pure magic live..taking the audience (and the band) to a whole different level...was Guns n Roses.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that part in the movie Almost Famous where the guy yells out "I am a Golden God!!"?

Apparently that was taken from something yelled out of his balcony one day that Cameron Crowe was interviewing him.

Check out "Hammer of the Gods", great book about Led Zeppelin in their glory days.

-the shark story

-John Bonham shitting in groupies purses while on the plane

great book

You know that part in the movie Almost Famous where the guy yells out "I am a Golden God!!"?

Apparently that was taken from something yelled out of his balcony one day that Cameron Crowe was interviewing him.

Check out "Hammer of the Gods", great book about Led Zeppelin in their glory days.

-the shark story

great book

I read about the Shark story and Bonham's antics but from a different book. It's called Stairway To Heaven, by Richard Cole, who was Zep's tour manager and was there for those crazy events and more...

Like the time Bonzo tried to see if a Volkswagen could really float.

Or when he pushed George Harrison into a pool.

And when he pulled a gun on the Rolling Stones...

Edited by moreblack

The Who and Deep Purple both put on amazing shows at the same time as Led Zeppelin did, and without the need for 20 minute guitar and drum solos which bring down what could be amazing shows. There's a fine line between over the top and just plain wankery. Zeppelin crossed the line

Oh but Purple did descend into the realms of pure wankery. Lord, Blackmore and Paice did some long ass 20+ minute solos on the Purple live set. Paice had The Mule, which would lead into an eternal Drum solo. Lord and Blackmore had first Mandrake Root and later on, Space Trucking in which they'd both go off into long long solos of upwards of 20 minutes (each).

Heh, I'll have to take your word for that man, I've very little experience with live Purple.

I always enjoy Mandrake Root though :) Blackmore does a cracking job

-the shark story

great book

I read about the Shark story and Bonham's antics but from a different book. It's called Stairway To Heaven, by Richard Cole, who was Zep's tour manager and was there for those crazy events and more...

Like the time Bonzo tried to see if a Volkswagen could really float.

Or when he pushed George Harrison into a pool.

And when he pulled a gun on the Rolling Stones...

I have both Zep books...great reads!

man...if Axl pulled all the shit Bonzo did,he'd get crucified on these boards

Tried listening some more. Had to turn it off.

Plant has no vocal range and sings the same way all the time. Page is sloppy/inneffective.

Bonham's drumming is the best thing about them. Same with Dave Grohl and Nirvana.

Plant has no vocal range and sings the same way all the time. Page is sloppy/inneffective.

Bonham's drumming is the best thing about them. Same with Dave Grohl and Nirvana.

True.

Bonham was the one of the four that was best at what he was doing.

But Plant can sing and Page can play.

And they can influence.

it's zeppelin...they are the best band that ever lived...

early days is amazing...

bonham is awesome, jimmy page is mesmerizing..and people who say plant is what drives them away have never heard the battle of evermore.... and john paul jones is one of the most underrated bass players of all time

they just rule

so many good songs

it's zeppelin...they are the best band that ever lived...

early days is amazing...

bonham is awesome, jimmy page is mesmerizing..and people who say plant is what drives them away have never heard the battle of evermore.... and john paul jones is one of the most underrated bass players of all time

they just rule

so many good songs

I was about to say that Plant is what MAKES Zeppelin... then I felt bad for thinking that... When I try to come up with the one member of Zeppelin that was best or most important, I fall flat on my face, as I should. he same when I try to come up with the one member of Zeppelin who could have been left out or replaced. Zeppelin just had all the right people, all the right chemistry, all the right talent, all the right songs. They're simply amazing. At least half their catalogue is regularly played on the radio. I bet most classic rock stations wind up playing at least one hour total of Zeppelin music each day. These things could never be the case with any other band.

the most stupid musical analysis I've read for a while.

That has happened to me also with many bands like Metallica, Maiden and Zeppelin. I just thought that they suck so I don't wanna listen to them. And when I saw some polls where Stairway to Heaven was rated the best song ever which made me hate them even more for some reason. :P

Then I listened some of their stuff and surprisingly it was awesome and I am still kind of ashamed that I hated them back then. Nowadays I can't listen to Stairway because I have listened it too much and it is now boring to me. But they have lots of other songs that I like very much like When the Levee breaks, Immigrant Song, Battle of Evermore and so on.

Great band once I got to know their music. rock2

i got a huge jimi page poster with the double neck guitar yesterday in total guitar ^_^

great band, i got a bootleg of radio interviews and reports about them and there is one of the whole days radio bullitains about Bonhams death :(

i have "the song remains the same" DVD and didn't really understand most of it ;) still liked it though

love this band even saw Plant last december rock3

So did I. Sysnter Gates on the back. I put Gates up!

True.

Bonham was the one of the four that was best at what he was doing.

But Plant can sing and Page can play.

And they can influence.

How come John Paul Jones never gets mentioned when people talk about how good Zeppelin is? He's so underrated. One of the best bassists ever and maybe even better on keyboards and organ. And he certainly rocks the mandolin. Good songwriter too. No Quarter is one of my favourite Zep songs. The best musician in the band if you ask me.

If you're just getting into Zeppelin then I'd highly recommend THIS!!!

ledzepvhs.jpg

The 3 DVD set that came out a few years back. Every time I watch it I have to go away and play guitar! It's immense and, really, you gotta here them doin' it live! :)

You think so? That's been my key experience with Zeppelin and it bored the hell out of me. Might not be for people new to them

ledzepvhs.jpg

The 3 DVD set that came out a few years back. Every time I watch it I have to go away and play guitar! It's immense and, really, you gotta here them doin' it live! :)

You think so? That's been my key experience with Zeppelin and it bored the hell out of me. Might not be for people new to them

yeah I'm not sure this is a great starting point for people to learn about Zep,

a goldmine for fans...but for someone curious and checking the band out,they might be turned off by the standards of the quality

All the members are important to the Band...what would "immigrant Song" be without Plant's hell scream at the beggining? what would "Ramble On" be without John Paul Jone's bass? What would "Good Times Bad Times" be without Bonzo's drummin? What would "Rock N Roll" be without Jimmy Page? Please, there are no important people in the band, they have equal importance in the bands chemistry, thats why it wouldn't hav worken out without Bonzo...

And to the person who said Plant has no vocal range...you're jokin right? just listen to "Since I've Been Lovin You"...

rock1 You've found the Mighty Zep. They are, in my opinion, the most diverse and incredible Rock Band to ever grace the Earth. If you're looking for a great album, take your pick. Each of their albums is unique and incredible. I found them when I was 15 and would and could not listen to anything else for about a year after that. They opened the door for me to other rock bands, not the other way around.

You've probably heard their more poplular songs on the radio, but here's a few of my favorites that don't exactly get radio play

The Rover ( Physical Graffiti)

That's the way ( III)

For your love ( Presence)

Achilles Last Stand & No Quarter are my two favorite Zep tunes of all time though

ledzepvhs.jpg

yeah I'm not sure this is a great starting point for people to learn about Zep,

a goldmine for fans...but for someone curious and checking the band out,they might be turned off by the standards of the quality

I've pretty much got everything Zeppelin have officially released and loads of bootlegs etc (Hurray for me).

I can't really be arsed analysing their entire body of work to suggest something else.

Maybe you guys have more free time than me and can help out, rather than post shite like this.

:)