Where's GNRs biggest audience?

Griip

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's only people who go to see them...if you wanted all their fans it would be US simply because it's a more populated country and 90% of the people over here, unless they are like only rap fans, have heard them and like one/many of their songs. They're easily one of the most famous bands in history.

That's only people who go to see them...if you wanted all their fans it would be US simply because it's a more populated country and 90% of the people over here, unless they are like only rap fans, have heard them and like one/many of their songs. They're easily one of the most famous bands in history.

From that perspective it's not USA either, then it would be like china, maybe brazil.

I think it's unfair to say which continent is more fond of GNR. I think all three of them probably have an equal amont of GNR fans. But, my thinking is:

Europe: A lot of those gigs were festivals, with other big bands also playing them. Wasn't so hard to sell those out no matter what. If it wasn't GNR closing a night out, it would have been some other big band and the attendence wouldn't have changed. There were also fewer shows compared to the dates scheduled for the NA tour, which will probably go all the way into next summer (a lot of states/big market cities were skipped on this 'first leg') with a second leg. With those fewer shows... with only multiple shows in a couple of countries... of course GNR fans will go the 'extra mile' to see them and sell out the few shows. Take NYC for example... a lot of people flew from all over the place to see them there as there were only 4 shows lined up... in a small venue at that. There's also much less competition from other European acts.

America: Like it or not, GNR is more mainstream in America and Canada. They'll wind up playing three or four times as many dates in NA... sometimes in cities only 100 miles or less apart. They will be far more profitable in NA simply due to the sheer amount of people that will attend all of the shows. Many more casual fans will attend simply because they can take a cab over to their local sporting arena. Every major city in the US... you figure at least 50 of them... have HUGE arenas. Most seat between 16 and 24000. We'll say an average of 20k seat arenas in all of these venues. GNR's going to play just about all of them after both legs of the NA tour and it will be tough to sell out every single one. You can have 14 or 15 thousand people in these arenas and it would still look half empty with the majority of the people on the floor to begin with. So I would ignore these 'half empty' arena rants because these places are simply huge. I've seen NIN and Aerosmith recently at arenas and neither could fill the place. I was in the upper deck of both shows and you could literally pick your seat of thousands surrounding you.

If GNR only played half of the venues, and actually had a record and single out to promote a lot of buzz, they would easily sell out. In fact, if they put a single out two weeks ago and actually did some radio advertising they'd probably be selling out all of the shows on the first leg. Yes, even I'll admit I'm a little confused with the marketing strategy right now. But, at the same time, with no promotion other than the hardcore fans spreading the word... and a few radio stations giving away tickets... these shows are selling very well and will equal what any other band could do right now in the states when it comes to filling up arenas.

Finally, there's TONS of competition in the US. If I went to every show in my metro area, I'd be going to an Aerosmith concert tomorrow night... some country show two days later... Barbara Streisand would be in town two days after that... NIN two nights after that... some rapper two nights after that... it's rediculous. People can't afford to go to every concert they want to go to, especially the target market for most of these acts constantly touring over here. Why do you think so many European acts spend so much time in America touring? Hell, most of them MOVE here. It's a money making machine.

South America:

I've always been impressed with SA fans. They always seem to fill up stadiums for anything, especially big American or European bands. But, similar to Europe, less gigs and more spread out.

At the end of the day, hands down by sheer numbers of people that will see GNR, NA has it in the bag. Throw the UK in there, that sold out multiple venues for GNR (all in a New York State sized country), all of your English speaking lands basically (that's not a poke at anyone else... English speaking people simply understand the lyrics better and are attracted to English singing bands) and you can pretty much say your English speaking countries love GNR the most.

Pure passion for the band? I'd have to say the UK... right now at least based on the shows that went off over there this past summer.

Oh please............Europe loves every thing American.

Oh no you didn't.

Levi's, Marlboro, Camel, McDonalds, Coke, Pepsi, Apple (computer), Hilton, Marriott and most importantly, DAVID HASSELHOFF. The list goes on and on... should we get into movies, movie stars and more? I'd say that was a fair statement.

Levi's, Marlboro, Camel, McDonalds, Coke, Pepsi, Apple (computer), Hilton, Marriott and most importantly, DAVID HASSELHOFF. The list goes on and on... should we get into movies, movie stars and more? I'd say that was a fair statement.

I agree, I'm just saying things could get ugly.

I agree, I'm just saying things could get ugly.

Lol. We Yanks like a lot of things European... too. I, for one, love European women.

Don't forget about Japan as well. Playing at the Tokyo Dome and Chiba Marine Stadium - those venues are huge. Tokyo Dome is somewhere around 55,000 (very few artists have ever played that arena to full capacity) and Chiba Marine is close to or even more than that I believe.

Edited by SunshineSlayer

Don't forget about Japan as well. Playing at the Tokyo Dome and Chiba Marine Stadium - those venues are huge. Tokyo Dome is somewhere around 35,000 and Chiba Marine is even more than that.

The Tokyo Dome has a capacity of 60,000 for concert settings.

Yep, I realized my mistake and corrected it. :) Although I haven't heard of more than 55,000, but if GNR pulled in 60,000 then that proves the point even more.

Americas perception of Europe and the UK is amazing.. 90% of americans have never even left the USA and dont even hold a passport. Europeans travel all the time.

My point is.. Europe dont love everything American at all. David Hasselhoff is big in Germany apparently but the rest of Europe find that funny. Europe and the UK have many different cultures and if It wasnt for Europe, America wouldnt be what it is today.

Also Bands like Guns N Roses find most influence from british bands, i.e The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath. (All english bands)

P.S for dummys the UK is not 'England'. The UK consists of 4 different countries - England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

Sorry to sound patronising to you that know but it really gets up my nose when SOME ignorant americans think they know everything and they actually know fuck all. ;)

P.P.S.. No.. London is not fucking great and no its not a 30 minute bus ride from Glasgow (Scotland).

Edited by Rockworld

europe and sud america.

istanbul gig was 17,000 without nearly no promotion and announced only 3 weeks before due to a cancellation in deutschland. and i must add that we DON'T give a fuck for the late shows, rock n' roll spirit still lives here unlike the states.

Same in Greece too!

Europe (Norway)... Though I believe South AMerica comes close.

In Norway (Oslo) Gn'R did two shows because of the high demand.

Both show's sold out in about 10-15 minutes after the thickets were available!!!

Both shows had around 16,000 people attending.

And hey, Norway population is only about 4-5 million. That's not even half of any of the bigger cities in America. Everyone in Norway loves Gun's N' Roses. at least most of us ;)

here's a link (if you can read norwegian) :P review of the norwegian concert;) pretty good one

http://www.puls.no/14282.html

I won't say norway si great. But I think your painting a rather false picture here. For the second show. You could get tickets untill the last day. And there was total 15k people in total. Not in both showes. Since spectrum only takes about 7.500 people.

But the sales for the first show was good. I had to get my brother to buy the tickets online becouse I was away on a boat at the time. Had him on the phone. Ready to buy. Was fucking great when we got the tickets :D

Oh no you didn't.

Yes I did. You can send over a shoe box full of American shit and it would sell out in europe. Any american would sell out there. Look how they pass out all over each other and cream themselves and get carried out on stretchers at Michael Jackson concerts. <_<

Oh no you didn't.

Yes I did. You can send over a shoe box full of American shit and it would sell out in europe. Any american would sell out there. Look how they pass out all over each other and cream themselves and get carried out on stretchers at Michael Jackson concerts. <_<

:rofl-lol: The typical american. "usa is the centre of the universe". There's a reason why Jay-walking only works in the USA dude :lol:

No, we are not the center of the universe and we are not the "greatest" country in the world. I won't own that. But I will say that we are the most artistic.

Explain what you mean. (If it is what I think it is, have in mind that you have like 20-40x more population than a country like Sweden(who produces A LOT of music, more %per inhabitant than USA, A LOT MORE).

No, we are not the center of the universe and we are not the "greatest" country in the world. I won't own that. But I will say that we are the most artistic.

What exactly are you refering to???? The static music industry. The crap that comes out from hollywood? I think europe OWNS USA as far as artistic goes. Sure you have some famous artists. But Europe has the biggest in history. ;)

Manchester was 22000k and there was only a few crappy seats left haigh at the back.

Download was a festival but I believe it was around 40-50000k.

22000k? :laugh::laugh:

Imagine Axl not showing up on that gig :P

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

that made my day !