Merck Says Brain Still In The Band

madison

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if only we could clone Beta: have a GOOD Beta and a BAD Beta.

The good Beta gets to stay at home or at the hotel to get Axl's newspapers, home cooked meals and slippers ready. Bad Beta has to meet him down in the hotel lobby following the after-show parties and try to wrestle him to his room.

Note: Bad Beta comes assembled, but 4 C batteries and brass knuckles required

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Oh well, who gives a fuck. Two drummers? This is the band that had the KFC chicken guy for lead guitarist. Nothing's shocking anymore.

I agree. Guns N' Roses stopped beeing a band when the KFC guy joined. hopefully he is gone. So this is less a joke than in 2002, but it's still not a real band either.

Edited by rockstar81

I thought I'd start a new thread on this topic because there have been so many rumors floating around about Brain's status in the band. I asked Merck about the issue. As many people have noticed, the GNR myspace site lists Frank as a band member - and there's no mention of Brain. So, I asked Merck if this means Brain has permanently left the band.

Here's his response:

"Both Brain and Frank are in the band. You will just see more of Frank at the

moment as Brain is still a new father."

Maddy... thanks for the 'heads up'. The rest of the burger flippers here don't understand real life. Good for Mr. Mantia.. FATHER first, Gnr second.

Whoever doesn't agree, should suck a dick.

Plain and simple.

This is where you are wrong. It ain't real life. A guy at my work took maybe a month off to stay at home after his wife had a kid. Then it was back to work while his wife stayed at home by herself. When did Brain's wife give birth? It was during the summer tour, I remember that much. Brain probably gets enough money from Axl to provide enough support to his wife if they need a little extra help.

Real life is needing the money to support your family so can't stay at home - you have to work.

Now I'm not slating the guy, but unless there are extenuating circumstances that we don't know about he could certainly join Guns on tour. He's got the right to make whatever choice he wants though.

I must agree that it's a joke to say Frank and Brain are both in the band. Of course they won't play at the same time - that's not the point. If Brain is still the drummer then Merck should have said Frank is just temporarily filling in while Brain is out. If he did that this would be a non-issue. Which band calls their backup drummer a part of the band? It's bizarre, but with GN'R I guess that's just par for the course. Other that or there is more to this story than Merck would have us believe.

Edited by KBear

As KBear noted, it is interesting that Merck didn't just say Frank would continue in his backup role with Brain out. Maybe he just doesn't parse his words as carefully as Axl who would only bestow certain players with the "member" tag.

But given what's transpiring, maybe they should re-think things and retroactively make Matt an ex-"member".... ;)

Edited by Turn_It_Up

This is where you are wrong. It ain't real life. A guy at my work took maybe a month off to stay at home after his wife had a kid. Then it was back to work while his wife stayed at home by herself. When did Brain's wife give birth? It was during the summer tour, I remember that much. Brain probably gets enough money from Axl to provide enough support to his wife if they need a little extra help...

There's a difference between a "regular" guy who goes to work, and then comes home at the end of the day to spend time with his wife and baby - and a guy who goes on the road for six months at a stetch and doesn't come home until his newborn baby is walking.

I admire Brain for putting his family first. He certainly earned my respect.

It's not confirmed that it was Brain - the guy said that he thinks it was Brain with Praxis.

Actually, it was confirmed on some of the Praxis forums.

When I asked Merck why Brain had time to play with Praxis and not GNR, he replied:

"There is a distinct difference between being on tour for 6 months and doing a

gig an hour away from home."

HOWEVER... Feel free to rag on Merck and the GNR managers before him for constantly lying or withholding 'confirmed' information about who's in the band. :P Anybody who is actually taking Merck's word on info like this would probably drink the Kool-Aid. :D ..

Oh please. :rolleyes: I am really sick of the internet tough guys making bogus accusations against Merck. Merck has always - I repeat always - been honest with us. Period.

Trust me - if he wasn't, I would be the first one to point it out.

He answers questions based on the information he has at the time. So anybody who keeps bringing back his "2005 is the year of GNR" comment - is just being petty. Clearly, plans changed -- but at the time he made that statement, that was the plan.

If a rumor is true and he's not in a position to tell us this, he simply doesn't respond. But he has never lied.

It's a tough call, no doubt. AS isn't touring largely because Brad Wilk's wife just had her baby. A lot depends on how excessive the touring is, how frequently he would be able to jet back for home visits(helps they are doing US leg now).

But it's hard to fault him for this. I don't want to say he's "just" the drummer, but it's not like Finck being unable to tour at this time.

Edit: All things considered, probably not a great move to be seen playing with Praxis, an hour away or not...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Stop the bashing and the speculation. It´s pretty clear Brain hasn´t left the band, he´s just taking care of his family. A lot of men would like to be that lucky and spend the first months of their babies without losing anything...first words,first teeth,first steps...and if he´s doing it is because he can. Is there anything wrong with that?.The guy is not a bureau employee with only 15 days to enjoy his paternity,he´s fucking Brain and plays in GNR and if he´s that lucky as to get replaced the time he needs then GOOD FOR HIM! :)

By the way, this is a standard response Merck has sent to all the admins of all the forums,not only here. ;)

Edited by November_rain

This is where you are wrong. It ain't real life. A guy at my work took maybe a month off to stay at home after his wife had a kid. Then it was back to work while his wife stayed at home by herself. When did Brain's wife give birth? It was during the summer tour, I remember that much. Brain probably gets enough money from Axl to provide enough support to his wife if they need a little extra help...

There's a difference between a "regular" guy who goes to work, and then comes home at the end of the day to spend time with his wife and baby - and a guy who goes on the road for six months at a stetch and doesn't come home until his newborn baby is walking.

I'm sure he'd be able to go home here and there. Or he could tour for a few weeks and then go home for a few days at a time. Repeat. He'd miss maybe 20% of the shows. Maybe this is how it'll work, who knows?

My point though was that in real life people do not get to stay home all the time and work only when it's convenient. If you can do that then great, however many people miss their baby's first steps or first words. Many families are split up for whatever reason and have to make due. In sports there are instances when an athlete is traded to another team and has to move out of his home and live out of a hotel. The wife is left behind and in that case the athlete will be gone a vast majority of the time.

I'm not slagging Brain, and of course it is commendable that he puts being a father above all else. I just disagree that it's real life (not many people can take off work completely) or that it's not a choice (providing there are no extenuating circumstances I'm not aware of). But it is his choice to make, certainly not mine, and if he feels that this is what's best then more power to him. Brain is one of my favourite musicians in the new band and I'm hoping he returns soon.

Edited by KBear

I admire him for this too. I hope there isn't a health problem with the baby. The reason I bring it up is, all my friends who have had babys tell me the first 6-9 months, all the baby does is eat,sleep and poop, mostly sleep. So, I wonder if there is something more serious going on with the baby(just conjecture on my part). I figured he could do this tour until January/Feb. and then take some quality time off from the band, when the baby starts to crawl around, etc... Just wondering.

I admire him for this too. I hope there isn't a health problem with the baby. The reason I bring it up is, all my friends who have had babys tell me the first 6-9 months, all the baby does is eat,sleep and poop, mostly sleep. So, I wonder if there is something more serious going on with the baby(just conjecture on my part). I figured he could do this tour until January/Feb. and then take some quality time off from the band, when the baby starts to crawl around, etc... Just wondering.

This crossed my mind as well, which is why I mentioned "extenuating circumstances". I figured there isn't a lot to do this early in a baby's life. Then again, I'm sure they don't want to leave the baby alone for even a minute, and I'm sure it cries a lot. So in order for one person to get some sleep someone else needs to be up. It could also be Brain's wife that needs time to recuperate, not necessarily the baby.

Anyways, I don't really want to talk about this subject - it's a bit of an uncomfortable thing to speculate on. Not exactly a "when do you think the album will be released?" type question.

I thought I'd start a new thread on this topic because there have been so many rumors floating around about Brain's status in the band. I asked Merck about the issue. As many people have noticed, the GNR myspace site lists Frank as a band member - and there's no mention of Brain. So, I asked Merck if this means Brain has permanently left the band.

Here's his response:

Jease... that means 9 guys 'in' the band. Axl could field a baseball team now.

Brain and Buckethead playing at the VEGOOSE festival yesterday :)

e284b9a0brainwj9.jpg

594374e31bucketheadrx0.jpg

Yea, he looks REAL busy being a father there with BH. So, let me get this straight. GNR is currently touring, and Brain is off farting around with Buckethead. The drummer for GNR is drumming for/with somebody else while GNR is on tour.

As I have the utmost respect for Brain and his abilities, I've never liked his attitude. For example, when asked if still in the band back in 2003 he said something like, "as long as I keep getting a paycheck, I'm a member of GNR". I mean, what a selfish comment.

I really think all he's in this for is the money. CD is finally 'done', he laid the drum tracks... he'll get royalties from all of the sales regardless of what happens with his status in the band. All of a sudden, while GNR is on tour, their drummer is drumming with somebody else.

A hundred bucks says we'll never see Brain on stage with GNR anymore, regardless of what Merck or anybody says.

From the 'Vegoose' festival website:

Praxis:

Beneath the darkly subsonic bass of producer Bill Laswell, the funk- laden beats of current Primus drummer Brain, the extreme guitar terror of mutant virtuoso Buckethead and the deftly rendered scratching of DJ Disk, Praxis represents an inspiring, at times mesmerizing and even harrowing foray into the collective mind of a lethally futuristic live unit.

Sounds like Mr. Brain has other plans, folks.

True story.

Yea, he looks REAL busy being a father there with BH. So, let me get this straight. GNR is currently touring, and Brain is off farting around with Buckethead. The drummer for GNR is drumming for/with somebody else while GNR is on tour.

Like Madison posted up there, Merck even said there's a huge difference between playing a show an hour away from home and going out on the road for six months playing in puerto rico and god knows where else. This is one show, Brain's been in Praxis since 1992, there's no way he's done this without notifying Axl or someone in charge.

Given the choice of taking a break to spend time with your wife and kid and doing a show an hour away from home with the ability to go home easy enough after it and see your kid straight after or being on tour til december and beyond with no end of stopping in sight and only being able to talk to family on the phone, the smart money is on taking a break.

Edited by mr-fukaji

Here's his response:

Jease... that means 9 guys 'in' the band. Axl could field a baseball team now.

Brain and Buckethead playing at the VEGOOSE festival yesterday :)

e284b9a0brainwj9.jpg

594374e31bucketheadrx0.jpg

As I have the utmost respect for Brain and his abilities, I've never liked his attitude. For example, when asked if still in the band back in 2003 he said something like, "as long as I keep getting a paycheck, I'm a member of GNR". I mean, what a selfish comment.

I really think all he's in this for is the money. CD is finally 'done', he laid the drum tracks... he'll get royalties from all of the sales regardless of what happens with his status in the band. All of a sudden, while GNR is on tour, their drummer is drumming with somebody else.

A hundred bucks says we'll never see Brain on stage with GNR anymore, regardless of what Merck or anybody says.

From the 'Vegoose' festival website:

Praxis:

Beneath the darkly subsonic bass of producer Bill Laswell, the funk- laden beats of current Primus drummer Brain, the extreme guitar terror of mutant virtuoso Buckethead and the deftly rendered scratching of DJ Disk, Praxis represents an inspiring, at times mesmerizing and even harrowing foray into the collective mind of a lethally futuristic live unit.

Sounds like Mr. Brain has other plans, folks.

True story.

This was only for 1 or 2 shows. Maybe Brain simply did not want/could not commit to the whole Gn'R tour.

Besides, Buckethead, Brain, Bernie and Bill Laswell have been together long before two of them got involved with Axl. These 4 possibly believe that they deserve to go along way on their own merits as a group. No doubt two of them being in Gn'R has help them to gain more exposure.

Edited by dobadog

Although it's easy to bag on Brain for his sarcastic comments about being in the band. Axl probably never talks to them explaining anything about what's happening. If ur on the payroll there no way of telling when you won't be in the band.