GUNS N' ROSES Go Digital In USA

highvoltage

so.....none of you find it a bit odd that this bands ENTIRE show is being digitally processed before it hits your ears? using plug-ins ONSTAGE?!?! that's hideous......

well it does sound like axl is having a bit of digital help from the sides, no wonder his vocals don't sound shit like they did in 2002. actually it makes sense as if you remember the mtv awards thing (this year) when axl came on and screamed, he went all micky mouse like in 02' mtv prob'ly don't use digital post processing methods that change a shot voice into that of a former rock god.

If you listen to the Download monitor mix, his voice is shot and sounds a lot worse on Better than it does on the bootleg from the show. So yeah, I think the digital technology is helping a bit.

do you really think it's plugins that effect his voice to make it raspy and powerful? i think that's a bit of a stretch, maybe it's easier to cover up weakness in the mix (actually i KNOW it is as i've sung in bands and i'm not really much of a singer) but i don't think it's effects.

so.....none of you find it a bit odd that this bands ENTIRE show is being digitally processed before it hits your ears? using plug-ins ONSTAGE?!?! that's hideous......

well it does sound like axl is having a bit of digital help from the sides, no wonder his vocals don't sound shit like they did in 2002. actually it makes sense as if you remember the mtv awards thing (this year) when axl came on and screamed, he went all micky mouse like in 02' mtv prob'ly don't use digital post processing methods that change a shot voice into that of a former rock god.

If you listen to the Download monitor mix, his voice is shot and sounds a lot worse on Better than it does on the bootleg from the show. So yeah, I think the digital technology is helping a bit.

do you really think it's plugins that effect his voice to make it raspy and powerful? i think that's a bit of a stretch, maybe it's easier to cover up weakness in the mix (actually i KNOW it is as i've sung in bands and i'm not really much of a singer) but i don't think it's effects.

No, I don't think it creates a rasp. I'm not implying he uses it to "create" his voice - just to enhance it, make it mix better. You don't notice how off-key he is in certain parts until you listen to a direct feed.

No, I don't think it creates a rasp. I'm not implying he uses it to "create" his voice - just to enhance it, make it mix better. You don't notice how off-key he is in certain parts until you listen to a direct feed.

well yeah, but that can be done with some good EQ work too, it doesn't necessarily have to be the digital effects. either way, i don't care if it doesn't have anything to do with the album. i've seen em twice and in no way did i feel like anyone was being enhanced to the point of 'not being themselves' i guess i would say, so i'm alright with whatever.

Oh, come on. Before u post shit do some research boy. He takes a higher note then he usally does in WTTJ.

He have done a whole european tour and acuoustic gigs without that digital shit and he sounded awsome. God, why do people always turn everything into something negative and with NO of substance.

Oh, come on. Before u post shit do some research boy. He takes a higher note then he usally does in WTTJ.

He have done a whole european tour and acuoustic gigs without that digital shit and he sounded awsome. God, why do people always turn everything into something negative and with NO of substance.

just because they're just now getting to digital board doesn't mean they weren't running everything through digital shit before hand. now they don't have plug the mic from the amp into a pesky laptop and run it through a primitive analog mixing console! now, they can just load the plug-ins straight from the board! PHEEEW! music is saved!

i'm sorry but this is fucking lame, not just for gnr, but for any band that does this type of evil shit (AERSOSMITH N MOTLEY CRUE I'M LOOKIN IN YER DRECTION) axl's new band should at LEAST be playing 100% live with no net. if someone in a ROCK band is willing to use click tracks, samples, and plug-ins on stage, there's no reason for them to stop at the vocals. "hey everything else is gonna be perfect....might as welll!"

no comes the question:

how can the new gnr possibly "save rock n roll" (like some of you have said) if they don't fucking actually play it?

well reading the article is seems as though it has been used through out the tour, but i may have miss read it, but nowhere in the body of the text (only the title) does it say where or when they started using it. plus digitally altering his voice would not be that hard, i mean i could easily do something similar on my computer using cubase or logic, to name but a few.

i've only seen the wttj intro from mtv once, so can't comment on that

just because they're just now getting to digital board doesn't mean they weren't running everything through digital shit before hand. now they don't have plug the mic from the amp into a pesky laptop and run it through a primitive analog mixing console! now, they can just load the plug-ins straight from the board! PHEEEW! music is saved!

i'm sorry but this is fucking lame, not just for gnr, but for any band that does this type of evil shit (AERSOSMITH N MOTLEY CRUE I'M LOOKIN IN YER DRECTION) axl's new band should at LEAST be playing 100% live with no net. if someone in a ROCK band is willing to use click tracks, samples, and plug-ins on stage, there's no reason for them to stop at the vocals. "hey everything else is gonna be perfect....might as welll!"

no comes the question:

how can the new gnr possibly "save rock n roll" (like some of you have said) if they don't fucking actually play it?

Though the shows have gotten rave reviews for the most part, there have been ALOT of complaints about the sound and not being able to hear Axl. The sound and mix is FAR from perfect. To say that "they dont actually play it" is fucking stupid !!

no comes the question:

Though the shows have gotten rave reviews for the most part, there have been ALOT of complaints about the sound and not being able to hear Axl. The sound and mix is FAR from perfect. To say that "they dont actually play it" is fucking stupid !!

didnt mean that aren't actually playing their instruments....i meant that they are not playing live rock n roll.

Edited by ohyesindeed

I own a protools based studio and have been using plugins for years -

With the way amps are being made these days, Line 6 pods etc... everything is pretty digital anyway.

Its just a way to get the perfect sound. Your still pluging into an amp first and getting your basic tone.

I've been looking into these live digital boards and I think there an amazing leap from conventional - usually noisy feedback situations created by not having these post - production tools.

plus it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get good soundboard mixes of the shows which I'm sure none of you would complain about.

As far as AXL getting lost in the mix. I blame that on the fact that he controls his own ear peice, some times gets scared of hitting a part and backs it off.

But these digital boards will compress the original signal not the monitor mix so even for a show that we might not remember hearing him live, it is still recorded from the original signal and can be mixed better later. Which is sweet.

GUNS N' ROSES Go Digital In USA - Dec. 5, 2006

GUNS N' ROSES are currently on tour through North America. To handle the live shows, audio veteran Toby Francis was tapped for FOH duties, Andy Ebert was selected for monitors, and the Digidesign Venue live sound environment was chosen to run the show, with two Venue D-Show systems in tow for FOH and monitor mixes.

"This is what I've wanted for years," says Francis. "I've tried everything — at least demoed everything. This is the first console I've wanted to own. I've always looked at the others as a temporary step. Even though some of them I used for four or five years, I was just waiting for technology to advance."

Ebert is equally enthusiastic: "I had used digital consoles before, but I never really liked them because of their sound quality and the fact that they're so complicated to operate. What I'm looking for in a digital console is something that's the most like analogue."

"GUNS N' ROSES' rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus asked me what plug-in I was using on his guitar and was blown away that it was the same one he used in the studio," recalls Francis. "This is when I first started working for GUNS N' ROSES, and it helped us get a rapport going. Bassist Tommy Stinson pulled me aside last night and said, "This is awesome — I had the monitor engineer [Ebert] put a Fairchild plug-in on my bass and it sounds just like it does at home! I got the same thing in my ears that I'm used to hearing."

SOURCE: Blabbermouth

I don't really understand why this "news section" worthy.

Edited by da_illest_in_402

didnt mean that aren't actually playing their instruments....i meant that they are not playing live rock n roll.

So what are they playing?

live rock n roll is meant to be played "without a net". when you play the same set every night, use click tracks, samples, keyboards to beef up guitars, digital plugins, you are using every fucking net in the book. the only thing they could possibly do to make the net bigger is to lip sync.

for example:

look at the youtube vid of WTTJ from inland invasion. when they come out of the solo and into the "you know where you are" part, brain speeds up but then flubs his way back into that section. he is obviously playing with a click in his headphones, cause he slows back down to the previous tempo, which is coincidentally the exact same tempo that song is every night.

now, i don't doubt the fact that they're all great musicians and a great live band and yadayadayada, i just think it's tacky that bands are succumbing to all of this technology in the live setting just because they can. it's a crutch, and it cheats any fan who's looking for more out of a show than just seeing their fave band in the flesh.

Edited by ohyesindeed