Leaked songs theory

gnrfan05

That line in Merk’s letter that read the record label was refusing to renegotiate contracts, initiate marketing campaigns or promote the new album in any way shape or form until they had the finished product in hand has now lead me to believe other corporate entities doing business with GNR have probably taken a similar approach.

I believe the leaking of Better, There was a Time and IRS just before the kick off of the 2006 tour was more than just a coincidence. Considering those were the songs most heavily showcased at shows I bet they were submitted (by GNR management) to various promoters and industry executives to generate interest and “good faith” prior to the tour.

Partly to create a buzz and show there was in fact new (quality) music to be preformed but more so to secure the much needed lack of good will that existed between Guns and the record executives. It was necessary to show them the album was complete to the point three solid potentially album carrying singles were in the can ready to go. And not only that; but the band was ready (and capable) of performing new and old material on a multi-national tour. Going forward with Chinese Democracy corporate support and interest would have been essential so my bet is it leaked from promoters or executives.

You gotta think they probably bring their work home with them maybe one of their kids was the one who posted it rock4

Yea, I think the "leaks" were definitely planned. No one had heard anything from GNR since the failed 2002 tour, the plug had been pulled on the album, it seemed GNR were dead and burried. I'm sure they were released to show people that the new album actually did exist.

The first three leaks were planned by management. That's what I think, anyway, and in light of recent events it's become pretty obvious. I think they put them out there to start the hype. They knew without any new material being put out, people would be skeptical - it was kind of like releasing a single. It had the same effect.

After they were leaked, no action was really taken other than Merck asking us not to share the files, which I thought was strange. Also, note the files were all of the same quality and all leaked around the same time frame.

CITR was of a lesser quality, ripped through an analog output and leaked weeks after the others.I don't think Catcher was an intentional leak, and only after Catcher leaked - curiously enough - did management begin monitoring HTGTH.

I don't have any proof, and I'm not saying I'm right, it's just what I think.

Better, IRS and TWAT were leaked from the same disc. It doesn't make sense for anyone close to the band to intentionally leak something of low quality and all in different formats.

The leaks weren't low quality though, and they weren't in different formats. :unsure:

Catcher in the Rye was in a different format; it had been recorded from an analog output (that's why towards the end one part seems to skip), whereas the others were direct rips from a CD (at least, it sounds that way). CITR was definitely of a lesser quality than the others, don't you think? Not as clear, crisp or as generally high-quality as the previous three.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Jesus. The leaks were not planned.

The tours, the festivals, the single, the video, the album release are all a reaction to the leaks.

Thats why its such a fucking MESS.

Don't you guys get it yet???

Oh, yeah, they planned a whole tour, a failed album release, and canned their manaager all because of reaction to some demo versions leaked? That makes no sense. Bottom line, The leaks were done to tease the European tour. Axl appeared o nthe MTV awards to promote the US tour.

The plan was to have the album out for the US tour, but, in the GN'R way, things got fucked up, and it fell apart. Typical Axl,. Lets see what happens next

The leaks were obviously planned. It was part of the scheme to get all the GNR junkies jacked up and for us to start spreading the word and excitement so we could go to the shows so they could make money to finish the album. The tour was a big cash grab, which is obvious now.

The initial clip of Better that leaked was of a much higher bit rate than the full leak and sounded much better... almost like the Harley commercial. I wonder if that has any significance.

Probably indicates it was just some guy ripping it off a CD, he probably encoded the full version at a lower bit rate either by accident or on purpose.

They are low quality, trust me. If you have good speakers you know.

I have Altec Lansing 5.1 surround speakers and I blare them through all the time and don't notice anything other than the fact that they're demos. :unsure: I don't think they're poor quality at all. Catcher in the Rye is poor quality, by comparison.

And last but not the least, Axl said in the Trunk interview that he had not heard the leaks.

Yet he knew which ones to play at the shows.

I never said Axl personally leaked them. I doubt he sat at his computer and put them on the Internet. But I also don't believe he wasn't aware of what leaked and what didn't.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Jesus. The leaks were not planned.

The tours, the festivals, the single, the video, the album release are all a reaction to the leaks.

Thats why its such a fucking MESS.

Don't you guys get it yet???

Oh, yeah, they planned a whole tour, a failed album release, and canned their manaager all because of reaction to some demo versions leaked? That makes no sense. Bottom line, The leaks were done to tease the European tour. Axl appeared o nthe MTV awards to promote the US tour.

The plan was to have the album out for the US tour, but, in the GN'R way, things got fucked up, and it fell apart. Typical Axl,. Lets see what happens next

They would have released the remainder of IRS and possibly TWAT. They certainly wouldn't have release 4 tracks given that we've already heard The Blues and Maddy from an album that will have 13 tracks. They certainly wouldn't release a demo of the proposed first single. It would have made more sense to actually release the song! The tour was rushed that is clear. Why do you think that they released dates in a phased manner rather than as a whole tour?

Also why did the songs sound so bad live when first played? Remember TWAT? If it was planned these songs would have been nailed.

As for Axl appearing on the MTV awards - it could have been any show.

Everyone loves a conspiracy theory... <_<

The leaks were obviously planned. It was part of the scheme to get all the GNR junkies jacked up and for us to start spreading the word and excitement so we could go to the shows so they could make money to finish the album. The tour was a big cash grab, which is obvious now.

I'll agree the tour certainly didn't hurt GNR's pocket, but as we can pretty much call this another failed tour it didn't do their rep any favours.

How many of the people at the shows actually knew the new songs? How many actually liked them? Remeber the reports of people not really responding?

90% of the GNR junkies as you call them would have gone to see Axl and his bunch of merry men regardless of whether there were leaks or not. Its just great for our SMALL community (in releation to GNR's fanbase) that we had these leaks to keep us sane from the years of silence!

Edited by invisible_rose

I'm looking forward to "check mate" or whatever it may be called.

checkmate is the business I think, and could be by far the best in my opinion

Although the jury is still out on whether it's real... I sure as hell think so. And yeah, the album/live version is so gonna kick ass! rock3