Richard Fortus - the musician ..

quadlaser

there is soooooo much fucking 4tus fanboyism here, why? what has he done? LSL sucks ass, but it ain't like most of you have even tried listening to them. we haven't even had a fortus solo in a new song yet! all he does is play (barely any of) slash's old solos mostly not for note. sure he doesn't fuck up, but it sure isn't worth all the praise he gets. his solo spots leave a bit to be desired as well.

why the fanboyism? well, have you ever heard the addage 'if you want to seem smart, talk as little as possible so you have less of a chance to say something stupid'?

it's fucking true, unfortunately, and richard's making a killing off of it, by playing his guitar as little as possible...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man, i think fortus is just amazing. for sure the best player on that stage! i think he fits the overall "vibe" of gnr really well, and his playing is just over-the-top badass.....he's really incredible. every lick i've seen him play in this band has been great, and i don't understand why he doesn't get more solos.

i really like the way he plays izzy's old solo in "nightrain". he spruces up a little bit and adds his own flare, but it's tasteful, ya know?

also, i think he has excellent taste in guitars. it's cool to see a thinline tele on stage with axl, then a hollowbody, and then the mighty gibson les paul custom. he also has a really cool stage presence: for the most part, he's pretty understated, just up there and rocking out. then he gets a fire under his ass and does that cool "bash and slide" guitar move....total class. him and ferrer and my fave two new guns.

also, i think he looks kinda like jeff spicoli, which is awesome! totally awesome!

fasttimes1.jpg

Edited by ohyesindeed

He plays the material perfectly.

It's an absolute DISGRACE that Finck gets majority of solos and not Fortus.

I like Finck, but I agree. Fortus (from what I saw live and from bootlegs) is a better player.

there is soooooo much fucking 4tus fanboyism here, why? what has he done? LSL sucks ass, but it ain't like most of you have even tried listening to them. we haven't even had a fortus solo in a new song yet! all he does is play (barely any of) slash's old solos mostly not for note. sure he doesn't fuck up, but it sure isn't worth all the praise he gets. his solo spots leave a bit to be desired as well.

why the fanboyism? well, have you ever heard the addage 'if you want to seem smart, talk as little as possible so you have less of a chance to say something stupid'?

it's fucking true, unfortunately, and richard's making a killing off of it, by playing his guitar as little as possible...

Cmon man. Imagine Fortus playing Fincks parts on the new CD or live tracks. All I am saying, is that Fortus should be lead, and Finck should be moved to rhythm.

No way guys....I'm nominating Finck for best guitarist ever. He's way better than Slash and Ron. Btw My costume for Halloween next year is a retard, I'm practicing. Back to topic, quad, I think Fortus' recent praise has been because it was very unexpected that he could tear it up as well as he can. Nobody saw him solo in 02' and many, (myself included) didn't see him really shred until Rio this year. He's a fuckin' monster player, and is just now getting the credit he deserves.

Cmon man. Imagine Fortus playing Fincks parts on the new CD or live tracks. All I am saying, is that Fortus should be lead, and Finck should be moved to rhythm.

there's the man i wanted a response from...

well, maybe fortus can't write (see LSL), the only other option is that axl is tone deaf.

edit- you may be right axlisold, but i don't think he's busted out anything you couldn't play

Edited by quadlaser

LSL is great.. I mean cmon they did the Charmed theme song!

Honeslty I don't know much about his guitar playing or how good he is technically, I mean he's obviously pretty amazing if Axl picked him. He's just got great stage presence, looks like a very cool guy. (Not to mention he's Izzy's clone)

Basically he's cool as hell.

No way guys....I'm nominating Finck for best guitarist ever. He's way better than Slash and Ron. Btw My costume for Halloween next year is a retard, I'm practicing. Back to topic, quad, I think Fortus' recent praise has been because it was very unexpected that he could tear it up as well as he can. Nobody saw him solo in 02' and many, (myself included) didn't see him really shred until Rio this year. He's a fuckin' monster player, and is just now getting the credit he deserves.

Agree with you

Well, he does play the end of the blues solo and the Madagascar solo - extremely well, I might add. Personally, whether you consider me a 'fan boy' or not, I don't give a fuck. But for what it's worth: I truly enjoy the music Richard makes as well as his amazing on stage presence. I have also exchanged some e-mails with Richard, and he really seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I had no opinion on Fortus until I saw Guns in Sweden this summer. Fortus did have a fantastic both stage precence and his solowork was excellent. Much better than Fincks. Ron Thal is by far the best guitarrist in the band but Fortus does a great job too.

Idiot.

I'm sorry but I'm agreeing with the original post, he simply hasn't put out enough material in this band to make an accurate assessment of his ability, especially to put him on the pedistal as so many around here have, must of the rebuttals to the original post, simply state that he is more with the GNR vibe, so is it purely image that as made him so popular?

Not a criticism of his playing, more a statement that I haven' t seen enough of it to judge.....