VIDEOGAME Thread...

NES games look good, though. Playstation games look horrible to the degree where it actually taints the game. It was the first generation of 'true' 3D and it wasn't very good so now with the really good stuff it just looks all the more horrible.

Plus, MGS is all about the conematic experience. Flashy cutscenes do make the games more enjoyable. It's hard to get pulled in when Snake has 90 degree angles all along his face. Furthermore it did lack gameplay mechanics like first-person perspective, peering around corners and dangling from balconies etc.

2D holds up much better because it's, well, 2D and nobody has tried to top that. The art has got prettier over the years but not to a degree where stuff like even Super Mario Bros. no longer looks decent.

Plus, with older consoles you have lowered expectations, the Playstation is still a 'new' console in my mind even though it's ten years old. When I go back to some games and see how ugly they are it's a big shock. Not all of them, mind you, mostly the ones that tried to be realistic.

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

Guest Jack_the_ripper
NES games look good, though. Playstation games look horrible to the degree where it actually taints the game. It was the first generation of 'true' 3D and it wasn't very good so now with the really good stuff it just looks all the more horrible.

Plus, MGS is all about the conematic experience. Flashy cutscenes do make the games more enjoyable. It's hard to get pulled in when Snake has 90 degree angles all along his face. Furthermore it did lack gameplay mechanics like first-person perspective, peering around corners and dangling from balconies etc.

2D holds up much better because it's, well, 2D and nobody has tried to top that. The art has got prettier over the years but not to a degree where stuff like even Super Mario Bros. no longer looks decent.

Plus, with older consoles you have lowered expectations, the Playstation is still a 'new' console in my mind even though it's ten years old. When I go back to some games and see how ugly they are it's a big shock. Not all of them, mind you, mostly the ones that tried to be realistic.

actually, you know what, I agree now that I think about it. 2D games it was about the art, the 3D on the psone was so limited, that it really does look horrible looking back at it. I mean, they had no room for art, or anything really. I remember owning a 64 and saturn, and when I finally got a PS I was like "wow, This looks bad"

Guest Jack_the_ripper
I'm glad I've still got my Nintendo 64. ^_^

really? it's perhaps the weakest console Nintendo has ever put out though.

Well, it's just the fact that I've got one really. I like to collect a lot of different stuff and video game systems and stuff are one of them. I've still got that and my SNES.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

Well, it's just the fact that I've got one really. I like to collect a lot of different stuff and video game systems and stuff are one of them. I've still got that and my SNES.

I love my SNES, and I only got it a year or 2 ago since I had a genesis when I was a kid. Everygame on the SNES was rather solid.

I also think the gamecube is greatly overlooked, it has quite the amazing library.

Edited by Jack_the_ripper

Guest Jack_the_ripper

on a side note, how about we all mention games we are looking forward too.

Mine are:

Blast Works

Alone in the dark

Disaster: day of crisis

Sam and Max Season 1

Tales Of Symphonia: Knights of ratatosk

Beyond Good & Evil 2

That's all I can think of at the top of my head.

I love my SNES, and I only got it a year or 2 ago since I had a genesis when I was a kid. Everygame on the SNES was rather solid.

I also think the gamecube is greatly overlooked, it has quite the amazing library.

Trust me, I loved the GameCube. Hell, I'd get another one If I didn't have to get other stuff with my money. Alien Homonid is one of my favorite games for it.

And the games I'm looking forward to are...

Guitar Hero Aerosmith

Battlefield Bad Company

LEGO Indiana Jones

LEGO Batman

Brutal Legend

SOCOM Confrontation

All I can think of now but I know there are more.

some people try too hard on here.

looking forward to playing :

GTA4

mass effect

MGS4

alone in the dark

2 of those games are out already but i've exams starting next week so i don't get to play anything :(

also does anyone else think that Gears of War 2 is being too over hyped? the first one was good, it wouldn't have been nearly as popular without microsofts very vast advertising and pushing. but now they're re-releasing the first game again? and they're expecting to sell 10 million on it's release date :lol: maybe it's just me, but the 360 has alot more going for it than gears of war

Guest Jack_the_ripper

GTA4

mass effect

MGS4

alone in the dark

2 of those games are out already but i've exams starting next week so i don't get to play anything :(

also does anyone else think that Gears of War 2 is being too over hyped? the first one was good, it wouldn't have been nearly as popular without microsofts very vast advertising and pushing. but now they're re-releasing the first game again? and they're expecting to sell 10 million on it's release date :lol: maybe it's just me, but the 360 has alot more going for it than gears of war

are you refering to me?

and Gears of War 2 is extremely over hyped. Simple fact is that it wouldn't have sold half as many titles if halo 3 had been out at the time. It was the game that tied gamers over until halo 3.

GTA4

mass effect

MGS4

alone in the dark

are you refering to me?

and Gears of War 2 is extremely over hyped. Simple fact is that it wouldn't have sold half as many titles if halo 3 had been out at the time. It was the game that tied gamers over until halo 3.

and Gears of War 2 will tie them over till Halo 4...

oh wait...

The new Battlefield game Bad Company gets a demo released publicly next week. I've started to peak interest in this game. Although after that game I might take a break, from playing games constantly since the early 90s I seem to be getting bored of it all.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

GTA4

mass effect

MGS4

alone in the dark

are you refering to me?

and Gears of War 2 will tie them over till Halo 4...

oh wait...

I meant the original was to tie fans over until halo 3, sorry, fucked up my wording.

The first official beyond good & evil 2 trailer was shown today at ubidays, From the looks of it, it will be either the ps3 or xbox360. I'm going to look ravidly for this vid on youtube.

The new Battlefield game Bad Company gets a demo released publicly next week. I've started to peak interest in this game. Although after that game I might take a break, from playing games constantly since the early 90s I seem to be getting bored of it all.

Is the Demo for both consoles?

And another game I'm wanting is God of War 3. ^_^

BG&E2 being made makes me so happy. It's not quite on the level of Shenmue 3 in terms of sequels I thought I'd never seen, but it's up there.

Far Cry 2 looks so good too. :| Maybe Crysis isn't going to be the king of the shooters (from a technical standpoint) for long. I dunno, if that's true gameplay from the trailer it looks just as good to me.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

The first Far Cry was excellent, I really do hope it's a return to form.

What makes me angry is that Ubisoft are pushing their shit games for the wii, so they can make profit, and then finance their projects for ps3 xbox360. Proof? Yves Guillemot admitted to it at Ubidays.

The new Battlefield game Bad Company gets a demo released publicly next week.

Is the Demo for both consoles?

Yeah looks good for both consoles:

DICE's slightly controversial Battlefield: Bad Company will get their chance to step into the boots of B Company in early June when a combination single / multiplayer demo is released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The multiplayer will consist of the Gold Rush game mode on the Oasis map, while the single player will get players acquainted with the colorful characters of B Company. The demo will be up on both Xbox Live and the PSN on June 5th, though people who preorder the game with be able to access the game a week earlier on May 29th. Hit the jump for the full press release, or head over to the Battlefield: Bad Company website for more on the preorder incentive.

http://kotaku.com/388886/bad-company-demo-coming-june-5th

Guest Jack_the_ripper
Don't go back and play the first Far Cry; I made that mistake and it's a bit underwhelming now. I wish I still had only that fond first play-through memory.

not to worry, I wasn't planning to. Didn't the original farcry come out in 2003-2004? I'm sure the graphics and the such are outdated at this point.

Speaking of outdated graphics, I bought prince of persia rival swords for the wii today (3rd time I buy this game, ridiculous) and having previously played both the ps2 and gamecube version, they fucking put the ps2 version on the wii... Wow ubisoft, you continue to fail fucking hard.

Truth of the matter is Ubisoft hasn't been a relevant developer since 2003. Everything since then has been fucking shit.

Maybe Crysis isn't going to be the king of the shooters (from a technical standpoint) for long.

It's been out 8 months or so that's not a bad run in this day and age.

You'd expect the new Far Cry to have better graphics because Crysis was a follow-on from Far Cry and so on.