VIDEOGAME Thread...

PERSONA 4 IS AWESOME. *PLAYS*

Haha, nice. I've been planning to get that one too. Currently can't cough up 40 bucks for it, though.

The campaign mode for World at War is great, but the online is nothing fantastic.

I think you mixed that up, bro.

i don't think he did

anyone get saints row 2? i hear its an under-rated game and a fun version of gta4

i don't think he did

anyone get saints row 2? i hear its an under-rated game and a fun version of gta4

The campaign is mediocre. It doesn't even compare to CoD4 campaign. The online is also pretty much the same as CoD4, so in a sense, you're saying online CoD4 is nothing fantastic.

i don't think he did

The campaign is mediocre. It doesn't even compare to CoD4 campaign. The online is also pretty much the same as CoD4, so in a sense, you're saying online CoD4 is nothing fantastic.

the campaign is better than mediocre! also the online is not the same as cod4, the guns are different, the cheap look of the menus and flags in cod5 are different, the terrible voiceovers in cod5 are different (i'm talking about the bad japanese accents), the maps aren't great. there's vehicles(which i dislike), the artillery is clow arriving, the dogs get very annoying, and you've to reach a certain rank before you can play anything besides death match!

Or get a decent PC and just buy the games on it for cheaper.

Yeah I'm sure because the games on PC are like 30 bucks cheaper that will certainly offset that a good computer is about $1000 more expensive than the 360 :rolleyes:.

Xbox here is £150, a top of the range is more like £500-600 - if you know where to shop. One that'll last for years, have a far wider range of games and suit whatever you do otherwise. Half price each game soon adds up.

....I think your understanding of "top of the range" is distorted :lol:

Clearly not, when you can get a quadcore, four gig ram, and a very good graphics card included in that kiddo.

Why would you want quadcore for gaming :unsure: ?

A higher clocking Dual Core would be better.... And You find me an entire PC with Dual SLI (GTX7800 or better), 4gb of DDR3 RAM, a HD in RAID 0 and a x-fi extream audio card for £500-600 :lol: (you did say "top of the range" remember ;) )

Off you go :lol:

Because Quadcore will soon be used (ideally...) with next gen gaming? Seems only logical with all the other stuff you run at the same time. Admittedly, most of the new dual cores will match it - but you pay at least that price.

I don't see the point in DDR3 when DDR2 is more than adequete?

No need for SLI, you get no noticable bonus most of the time.

Just costed it up being built at around £850 - so take off labour, that's about £750 - without cost cutting. Not bad ;]

But almost all current Gen games only utilize 2 cores.. so quads are pretty unnecessary for a good couple of years

As for the need for DDR3 and crossfire/sli... We are talking "top of the range" .... :book:

Agreed on the first point, only tapping their potential now (and that's the high end dual cores).

Even with top of the range, you don't get a massively increased performance with either - the former just adds about 50 quid on, the latter - in most cases, won't even increase your fps. Even £800 for a top spec PC, that'll last you what - five or more years? Is a great investment. Better still ones you can upgrade (Gigabyte DDR2/DDR3 mobo - although not always 100% stable) will future proof it effectively. What was the spec/price of the one you posted up in the Christmas thread?

Equally, does anyone know if the GTAIV bugs have been ironed out yet in the PC version?

i don't think he did

the campaign is better than mediocre! also the online is not the same as cod4, the guns are different, the cheap look of the menus and flags in cod5 are different, the terrible voiceovers in cod5 are different (i'm talking about the bad japanese accents), the maps aren't great. there's vehicles(which i dislike), the artillery is clow arriving, the dogs get very annoying, and you've to reach a certain rank before you can play anything besides death match!

Maybe mediocre was a bit too harsh. It's still a major disappointment if you've played CoD4 campaign. The Sniper level on 4 is just an amazing level that's enjoyable no matter how many times you play it.

CoD4 and CoD5 use the same engine, bro. That's like having two rocks, one with a bow on it, and arguing "No, no. This rock is different... it has a bow". They're both rocks. Capture the flag is pretty much a mixture of Headquarters and Domination. Nothing special here. They even have the same annoying ways of matchmaking. I still can't customize what map I want to play on or anything. You'd think they'd change that from CoD4. New guns and perks are what's supposed to be in DLC. It shouldn't be the main difference in a whole new game.

Yeah I'm sure because the games on PC are like 30 bucks cheaper that will certainly offset that a good computer is about $1000 more expensive than the 360 :roees:.

Xbox here is £150, a top of the range is more like £500-600 - if you know where to shop. One that'll last for years, have a far wider range of games and suit whatever you do otherwise. Half price each game soon adds up.

....I think your understanding of "top of the range" is distorted :l:

Clearly not, when you can get a quadcore, four gig ram, and a very good graphics card included in that kiddo.

Why would you want quadcore for gaming :unre: ?

A higher clocking Dual Core would be better.... And You find me an entire PC with Dual SLI (GTX7800 or better), 4gb of DDR3 RAM, a HD in RAID 0 and a x-fi extream audio card for £500-600 :lol: (you did say "top of the range" remember ;) )

Because Quadcore will soon be used (ideally...) with next gen gaming? Seems only logical with all the other stuff you run at the same time. Admittedly, most of the new dual cores will match it - but you pay at least that price.

Just costed it up being built at around £850 - so take off labour, that's about £750 - without cost cutting. Not bad ;]

But almost all current Gen games only utilize 2 cores.. so quads are pretty unnecessary for a good couple of years

As for the need for DDR3 and crossfire/sli... We are talking "top of the range" .... :book:

Agreed on the first point, only tapping their potential now (and that's the high end dual cores).

Even with top of the range, you don't get a massively increased performance with either - the former just adds about 50 quid on, the latter - in most cases, won't even increase your fps. Even £800 for a top spec PC, that'll last you what - five or more years? Is a great investment. Better still ones you can upgrade (Gigabyte DDR2/DDR3 mobo - although not always 100% stable) will future proof it effectively. What was the spec/price of the one you posted up in the Christmas thread?

Equally, does anyone know if the GTAIV bugs have been ironed out yet in the PC version?

Meh, i guess.

And I'm not too sure yet... I'm going to wait until january to order.

Im torn between that Alienware one

E8400 3ghz

512mb 9800 gt

2gb DDR2 RAM

and a 1TB HD in RAID 0

(£800...overpriced for what it is i agree... but you pay for the glowing alien logo :P )

Or the Dell XPS Studio

With those sexy new i7 920 2.66GHz processors :wub:

3GB DDR3 RAM

1TB HD in RAID 0

256MB ATI HD 3450

(for £742.85)

Opinion :unsure: ?

Yeah I'm sure because the games on PC are like 30 bucks cheaper that will certainly offset that a good computer is about $1000 more expensive than the 360 :roees:.

....I think your understanding of "top of the range" is distorted :l:

Why would you want quadcore for gaming :unre: ?

Meh, i guess.

And I'm not too sure yet... I'm going to wait until january to order.

Im torn between that Alienware one

E8400 3ghz

512mb 9800 gt

2gb DDR2 RAM

and a 1TB HD in RAID 0

(£800...overpriced for what it is i agree... but you pay for the glowing alien logo :P )

Or the Dell XPS Studio

With those sexy new i7 920 2.66GHz processors :wub:

3GB DDR3 RAM

1TB HD in RAID 0

256MB ATI HD 3450

(for £742.85)

Opinion :unsure: ?

Hmm, pretty expensive - and the graphics cards in both aren't brilliant for that sort of price (especially in the latter).

That isn't to say they're not decent, but for future proofing (although you'll pay through the back teeth because of the new i7 series) - the second option is perhaps the smartest.

Equally, the i7 series release should see subsequent price drops on other processors, so picking up a Q6600 would tide you over brilliantly, plug that with four gig of Crucial/Kingston/Corsair, a TB HDD for about £80 nowadays (although might just be external, so depends) - and then depending on what engine games you play, a card suited to that - and you'll be sorted!

But equally good - I mean, you're paying for the name, brand and labour - they'll do you proud.

CoD4 and CoD5 use the same engine, bro. That's like having two rocks, one with a bow on it, and arguing "No, no. This rock is different... it has a bow". They're both rocks. Capture the flag is pretty much a mixture of Headquarters and Domination. Nothing special here. They even have the same annoying ways of matchmaking. I still can't customize what map I want to play on or anything. You'd think they'd change that from CoD4. New guns and perks are what's supposed to be in DLC. It shouldn't be the main difference in a whole new game.

the same engine means nothing! alot of games this gen are made on the unreal engine 3 but they're not all the same ;) the devs are different!

plus, its the little details that count when it comes to online gaming. maybe you'll see when the next COD comes out.

also on another note, although i'm not a big racing gamer, motorstorm 2 is great, its a shame its not selling as well though

HV; Agreed that they are both overpriced (seeing as alienware are owned by dell). Any other suggestions?

Hmm, pretty expensive - and the graphics cards in both aren't brilliant for that sort of price (especially in the latter).

That isn't to say they're not decent, but for future proofing (although you'll pay through the back teeth because of the new i7 series) - the second option is perhaps the smartest.

Equally, the i7 series release should see subsequent price drops on other processors, so picking up a Q6600 would tide you over brilliantly, plug that with four gig of Crucial/Kingston/Corsair, a TB HDD for about £80 nowadays (although might just be external, so depends) - and then depending on what engine games you play, a card suited to that - and you'll be sorted!

But equally good - I mean, you're paying for the name, brand and labour - they'll do you proud.

On dell config, i chose the cheapest card purposely, with the intent being to sell that and buy a 9800 gt.

Hmm... I'm torn on what to do now.. maybe I should just build one myself :unsure:

HV; Agreed that they are both overpriced (seeing as alienware are owned by dell). Any other suggestions?

On dell config, i chose the cheapest card purposely, with the intent being to sell that and buy a 9800 gt.

Hmm... I'm torn on what to do now.. maybe I should just build one myself :unsure:

Depends on the games you're buying for, Steam/Source engine - ATI gives higher fps typically.

Buying the bits and building yourself is great fun, and gives you far more options - if you choose the right bits, provided you get ones that aren't duff and you don't mess up the build and install!

the same engine means nothing! alot of games this gen are made on the unreal engine 3 but they're not all the same ;) the devs are different!

plus, its the little details that count when it comes to online gaming. maybe you'll see when the next COD comes out.

also on another note, although i'm not a big racing gamer, motorstorm 2 is great, its a shame its not selling as well though

A good example of using the same engine is Source. L4D, Counterstrike, TF2... all vastly different in many ways... now you can't tell me CoD4 and WaW show the same huge amount of difference can you? Sure, you CAN use the same engine for two games and still make them completely different, but you're just kidding yourself if they've made a big difference with WaW. It feels more like a mod than a sequel.