Stone Temple Pilots

FunkyMonk

Anyone here a big fan of STP?

I really love them, especially recently I have just got back into them. Really loving Purple and Tiny Music right now, have them on pretty much non stop.

They are quite amazing.

I've only heard a few songs by them, but i love them!

I'm guessing the DeLeo brothers are the guitarists, I totally agree they are underrated! I'd only ever heard of them once before and it was on this forum and I play guitar myself. And when i've listened to Stone Temple Pilots, i've always thought their sound is different and thought they were great players. I'm surprised they never get mentioned anywhere.

The De Leos are incredible writers. They've come up with some of my favorite riffs and melodies of all time. Put an insanely outgoing frontman like Scott Weiland who is a brilliant melodic writer and Eric Kretz with his tight pocket drumming and it's no wonder they appealed to so many people.

Must download (or youtube) tunes:

Down

Tripping On a Hole

Hollywood Bitch

Lady Picture Show

Heaven And Hotrods

Coma

Dancing Days (Zeppelin cover)

Break On Thru (Doors cover)

Vasoline

Sour Girl

Edited by moreblack

I love STP - The only album I disliked as a whole was No_4 - Purple is their best and I love Tiny Music too. Great riffs, distinct solos and great bass work - I don't believe Velvet Revolver even touches what STP did, but I guess that's just a matter of opinion.

I love all the hits! i've only got one album...frankly I don't even know what it's called (lost the sleeve) but its got interstate love song on it...silvergun superman, empty... :wub: but I haven't had much time/dedication to dig deeper...i'd really like to get all their albums and just listen to them allll dayyy. Along with like 20 billion other bands. I just don't ever have time :anger:

Core was their Pearl Jam/Nirvana rip off album. I didn't really like that style so I wasn't very impressed with it.

They got my attention with Purple though. (I own all of their albums though and they are deffinitely in the top 5 of the 90's)

First off I don't even like pear jam(has more to do with eddie vedder. I cant stand his voice) but even I will say ten is way better than core.

If you listen to Core and then ten/teenspirit you can't say that they didn't try to copy that seatle sound. STP's other albums didn't sound like that. The grunge sound was what was popular at the time though.

Core was their Pearl Jam/Nirvana rip off album. I didn't really like that style so I wasn't very impressed with it.

They got my attention with Purple though. (I own all of their albums though and they are deffinitely in the top 5 of the 90's)

YES, YES AND YES!

You said it perfectly gnrrulz. I did'nt care for Core when it came out, thought it sounded like Pearl Jam too, but when I heard Purple I was in awe of the melodies and the chorus' plus the classic riffs, all coming together.

I stand by this: Weiland is a wonderful melody creator.

The more I listen to STP, the more I appreciate Robert DeLeo. His bass playing in all of STP's songs is just really first class. He's got a really rich and gorgeous tone, and his melodic basslines are always tasteful and always complement the songs perfectly. He especially shines on the more low-tempo stuff, like Interstate Love Song and Atlanta.

Dead DeLeo is just a really great, really versatile guitarist. The DeLeo's are very underrated.

Check out Army Of Anyone, if you haven't already, btw. They team up with Ray Luzier (who is just one of the best drummers I've ever heard) and Richard Patrick from Filter. Father Figure and A Better Place are my fav tracks, but the whole album is pretty cool.

Edited by Dead Flower

Check out Army Of Anyone, if you haven't already, btw. They team up with Ray Luzier (who is just one of the best drummers I've ever heard) and Richard Patrick from Filter. Father Figure and A Better Place are my fav tracks, but the whole album is pretty cool.

Those are my fave tracks, too. "A Better Place" is damn near hypnotic the way it flows--such a cool tune with a very sweet solo by Dean.

A shame that album isn't doing better. A really solid debut...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

ShagriLa Dee Da is by far their most interesting and brilliant work.Some songs are pretty good,like "Song for Sleeping","Hello,It's Late" and "Wonderful" and Scott's vocals are nearly perfect.

Like someone told here,Core have some strong grunge rip off which I dislike very much.